Struts bar on 09 base...

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
metaxa44

Struts bar on 09 base...

Post by metaxa44 »

Hi,

Is it a good improvement to intall a struts bar on a 09 base 1.8L Vibe ???
Should I do the brear one too???
Is it possible to do it with out removing winshield wiper assy ???
What makes are reccomended???
Where is a good place to get it ???
I am on Ontario so would be nice to know a supplyer up around here...

Thanks..
KITT222

Re: Struts bar on 09 base...

Post by KITT222 »

The upper strut bar does have an affect on handling. The rear lower one does, too, but that one has a little more of an effect. Really, any and all bars will do something. I even have an upper rear strut bar, and holy bananas, does that thing have an affect. But for someone who doesn't want a hardcore feel of the road (hi) I'd stick with the front upper, and rear bar. I can't vouch for the ease-of-install of the front one on the 09/10 models, but I'm sure another member (vibenvy?) will have more advice on that. However, just a guess, you may have to remove the wiper cowl, as it covers the strut towers.

Kijiji might have something, otherwise check Ebay for TRD bars for the 09-14 Matrix/Corolla. Maybe even Matrixowners.com (when it's up) or the Toyota Matrix bookFace page. I know I saw someone with a front upper for the second gen for sale there the other day.
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Thanks KITT..
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

I installed the OEM GT strut bar on my base 09 (thanks Vibenvy!) and it made a big difference in lessening body roll on turns. Without it even though the tires were rock solid at speed on turns I had to take it slower or get thrown against the door.

You don't have to remove the wiper assembly but it makes the job a lot easier. Removing the wipers and shroud (simple) took less time than finagling the strut tower bolts with the shroud in the way. It was also a good chance and provided easy access to remove all the leaves and debris that made their way under there (a lot more than I expected).
Image  Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Our 2009 Vibe GTs came with OEM front strut tower braces which were okay, but I highly recommend the TRD front strut tower brace. I replaced our OEM braces with the TRD ones last summer and the difference is night and day. The OEM brace is 3 separate pieces bolted together and it's really heavy. The TRD one is a solid one-piece aluminum bar that weighs probably half as much as the OEM brace. It really tightened up the front end when turning, going around curves, cornering, etc. And it looks a lot nicer then the OEM brace which I always thought was pretty goofy looking.

I can't say from personal experience (because unfortunately it won't fit the 2009-2010 AWD or GT), but there are a couple members here (vibedrivermatt & MaSlade) who have installed the TRD rear anti-sway bar on their 2nd gen 2.4L Base Vibes and have said it made a huge difference.

vibedrivermatt actually posted how-tos for installing both the TRD front strut tower brace and the TRD rear anti-sway bar. I can also vouch that the strut tower brace comes with excellent instructions with pictures and all. I'm sure it's the same for the anti-sway bar.

As Rayven said, it is pretty easy to remove the windshield wipers and all the plastic cowl pieces and it gives you a lot more room to work. I too took advantage and cleaned up under the cowl panels while I had everything apart. There was quite a bit of crud under there :|.

As far as ordering, I highly recommend TRD Sparks. I'm reasonably sure they will ship to Canada. Their prices are awesome and they have super fast shipping.

Here are a few pictures...

OEM front strut tower brace

OEM vs. TRD (I removed the TRD badge before installation. It’s held on with double sided tape.)

TRD front strut tower brace
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Thanks guys...