VSC Warning Light

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
bikejon

VSC Warning Light

Post by bikejon »

My VSC light (car with squiggles under it) and the VCS OFF lights have come on for no apparent reason, and stay on now. I have pressed the VSC OFF button repeatedly to no avail.

A couple days before I was taking a hard corner and the VSC light flashed and beeped, but then went out. 2 days later they've come on and stayed on.

The car is driving normally otherwise.

Any ideas what is going on?
PonchoGT

Re: VSC Warning Light

Post by PonchoGT »

Check your brake fluid reservoir. Sounds like it could be low. I've seen this condition cause this issue before in other vehicles with ABS, AHS and traction control if there are leaks in the system or from gradual drop in the fluid from brake pad wear.
Last edited by PonchoGT on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trb

Post by trb »

If any of the ABS sensors is out of whack, dirty, or malfunctioning, it will turn off all the computer stability controls. Is the ABS light on too? My 2010 GT would do that occasionally, and then go back to normal when it felt like it. Never did figure out what caused it.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

I can weigh in on this one.... hehehehe

Had this happen not this year, but last winter....

had my VSC/ ABS/someother light turn on, freaked me out, but do not worry, well maybe if you have a GT...

Turns out the wheel hub bearing (where the speed sensor sits) busted itself up, speed sensor and plate popped out of the hub bearing.

still had issues afterwards.... so took it back in, how they didn't notice I'll never know, but the wiring to the speed sensor... was not making contact in the connector to the speed sensor. Once that was replaced *knock on wood* it's been solid.

Oh and Trb, Thanks for the seat cover! had it installed last Friday, looks great!

Oops, left out why to worry if you have a GT.... yeah, took a week to get the right part... several parts stores said they had the part, turns out it was for the base or AWD, not the GT. Shop had to order that in from a few states over.
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Aha! My car has been doing this too. Im glad other people are pointing out what could be causes. It first happened last winter but has done it again twice recently.

It appears to me that when these light up the systems turn off. I get the check engine, vsc and traction control lights all at once. like the other perosn, the lights go off when they feels like it. Disconnecting the battery for ten minuets seems to temporarily fix it.

I drove into an intersection while having this problem. I gave the car a little gas because I was going left and a car was coming. It did a burnout all the way through the intersection. I wasn't expecting that. It was kinda cool actually. Yea go camry engine!

Anyway, this should be fixed now. I hope its nothing expensive as my warranty is out.
Last edited by vibedrivermatt on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

FWIW, I used to experience this problem intermittently on my Vibe. In the spring of 2014 before I put the summer wheels and tires on, I cleaned the front and rear wheel speed sensors really well and than put dielectric grease on them. *Knocks on wood* the lights haven't come on since.

On a bit of a side note, this has never happened on my mom's Vibe :|.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
regnac

Post by regnac »

This has happened to me twice now.

First time the dealer changed the PCM as that was the fault showing.
Second time was a Voltage Code related to an Oxygen Sensor, replace and now gone.
My Garage - Work in Progress viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trb

Post by trb »

regnac wrote:This has happened to me twice now.

First time the dealer changed the PCM as that was the fault showing.
Second time was a Voltage Code related to an Oxygen Sensor, replace and now gone.
Odd that something not related to the brakes or ABS sensors would trigger the lights, but others have noted this issue with other cars. I think the manufacturers have programmed the computers to kill the ABS and stability control on more issues than just that particular system, to make the owners panic and bring the car in for service. Kind of like making it a "limp home" mode.

Hopefully it was not an expensive fix for yours!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car