Handbrake Warning Light not working?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
dannyboy

Handbrake Warning Light not working?

Post by dannyboy »

Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this, first time posting. I have a 2006 Vibe AWD and I've noticed that the handbrake warning light not longer comes on when the brake is applied. I know the light itself works as it appears when I start the car and I know that the handbrake itself is working too. Anyone else have this issue/know possible causes? Other details; about 2 years ago I accidentally left the handbrake on while driving for about 10min before realizing it. In a possibly related note about a month later I had to replace both front discs and rotors.
Any help is much appreciated!
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
KITT222

Re: Handbrake Warning Light not working?

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome to GenVibe! The switch for the handbrake warning light is on the handbrake lever assembly, accessible by just removing the four 10mm bolts holding the center console in (two in front, in the little tray, two in the center console compartment towards the rear). Since it is so simple to remove the center console you could just pull it out and see if something is wrong with the switch itself.

Hope this helps!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

KITT222 wrote:Welcome to GenVibe! The switch for the handbrake warning light is on the handbrake lever assembly, accessible by just removing the four 10mm bolts holding the center console in (two in front, in the little tray, two in the center console compartment towards the rear). Since it is so simple to remove the center console you could just pull it out and see if something is wrong with the switch itself.

Hope this helps!
It may even be that the connector right in there is simply dirty. Someone on here had to clean old soda off of his.

If you're lucky, you may even find some FREE POCKET CHANGE under there!
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll take a look when I get a chance and let you know what I find out. :)
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

lannvouivre wrote:
KITT222 wrote:Welcome to GenVibe! The switch for the handbrake warning light is on the handbrake lever assembly, accessible by just removing the four 10mm bolts holding the center console in (two in front, in the little tray, two in the center console compartment towards the rear). Since it is so simple to remove the center console you could just pull it out and see if something is wrong with the switch itself.

Hope this helps!
It may even be that the connector right in there is simply dirty. Someone on here had to clean old soda off of his.

If you're lucky, you may even find some FREE POCKET CHANGE under there!
This seemed to be the case indeed, I popped the switch open and the contacts were covered in corrosion and dirt. Cleaned them up and cleaned the pin the switch plugs into and everything works perfect now. And I found 35cents! Thanks for the help!
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Nice. Not often you fix your car and end up with more money than you started with.