GM shop time for a front brake job?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
rtrvibe2006

GM shop time for a front brake job?

Post by rtrvibe2006 »

Anyone know what the quoted GM shop manual quotes for a front disc brake replacement? I have picked up some ATE PowerDisc slotted discs and a set of ATE ceramic pads. Just curious what is reasonable for a shop to quote labour hours to do the job? I'm a DIY kind of person, but not sure I want to tackle this.
Rayven01

Re: GM shop time for a front brake job?

Post by Rayven01 »

They will likely bill you a half hour's labor (maybe even an hour if that's the minimum) even though it takes a pro 10 minutes. If you are the DIY type, do it yourself. Disk brake jobs are super easy.

Image  Image
Raven

Post by Raven »

It's a simple DIY. I've done ours a couple of times and it's about the easiest car for a brake job that I've done.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

It's very simple unless the rotors won't release. Then you'll need to use a couple of bolts and 4 nuts to pop them off. Even then it's only a 1.5 hour job.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Rayven01 wrote:They will likely bill you a half hour's labor (maybe even an hour if that's the minimum) even though it takes a pro 10 minutes. If you are the DIY type, do it yourself. Disk brake jobs are super easy.

You've got to put the car on the lift, take the wheels off. Take the old pads off, put the new ones on. Probably do a little cleanup. Perhaps spend a few minutes looking over the front brake system to make sure there is nothing else amiss. Put the wheels back on. Lower the lift. I think expecting just being billed for 1/2 hour time is optimistic. Now if you go to a place like Midas you now they are going to tell you your PCV values are bad - need replacing. And that there is a problem with your front suspension, tie rods etc. etc. They will prove their point by showing you haw the front wheel wobbles back and forth when they grip it. On cue. another "mechanic" says "I'd park that car!"
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Somewhere on this site is an excellent "how to".
Don't forget the beer or hot chocolate.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
triz

Post by triz »

Brakes are an easy thing to DIY.

Generally shops will charge about 90 bucks for doing a set of brakes.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
jake75

Post by jake75 »

triz wrote:Brakes are an easy thing to DIY.

:) Easy for you to say. I am sure many can do this. For me, $90 to do that is well worth it - if I can be sure it is done right.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I just replaced my rotors & pads about a month ago. Its really not that bad at all. Hardest part ( for me ) was breaking loose the caliper bracket bolts. If you decide to do it yourself, do your research & get familiar with what you are about to do. There are TONS of videos on youtube. Remember our cars are Corollas, try looking for vids for rotor replacement on a Corolla. I watched a couple myself. If its your first time....give yourself TIME to do it, so that if you run into any problems you wont have to rush. I ALWAYS do any maintenance on my car on saturdays. This way if I run into any probs I have time to figure it out before work on Monday. I get PO-ed when I have have to rush on things. Good luck either way !
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

The best part about doing brakes is that you have a real-time full-size set of instructions on the other side of the car. That was a real help in the old days when doing self adjusting back brake shoes. Disc brakes are a snap compared to drum and shoe brakes.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
triz

Post by triz »

jake75 wrote:
triz wrote:Brakes are an easy thing to DIY.

:) Easy for you to say. I am sure many can do this. For me, $90 to do that is well worth it - if I can be sure it is done right.
I hear ya...haha. :mrgreen: I was nervous doing them the first time as well. But the reason I did them myself is the exact reason why I don't take it anywhere, because I know I did right. Mechanics are such hack jobs and don't give to jacks about your vehicle. I know maybe a hand full that I would take it to if I was on time constraint and usually ask the shop to put them on it personally if I feel they did a good job.

Forums and youtube are a big help to the DIY'er, not to mention a great awesome Dad that taught me a thing or two.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I took my Vibe in for a front brake job at Pep Boys today. I feel like I am light on my brakes because I try to coast to stop signs and lights whenever possible. I guess I was right. After having all the parts ordered up, the mechanic comes out (their best brake guy) and says: "so tell me again why you want a brake job??? You have 50% left on your front pads." That 50% is after 40,000 miles. So, since I was there, I decided to get the $20 per wheel, on wheel rotor resurfacing done. They did the one wheel and then came out to tell me that the front right rotor was out of round. They tried to use the machine to grind it down to round, but could not. They sent one of their workers across the other side of the delta quadrant to pick up a rotor (which only cost $40). So, instead of a $280 brake job with ceramic pads, new hardware and two discounts to be applied to that price, I walked away with just an $80 bill because they refused to rip me off and do a brake job I didn't need. He probably sanded down the pads as well because my car is stopping better and smoother than ever. Thanks Manny, Moe and Jack. You really aren't the three stooges after all. I'm expecting my courtesy call from the Pep Boys manager any minute now. He always follows up with a call after any service.
I was not aware that rotors were so inexpensive; the Pro Stop ones anyway. I spent a fortune at my mechanic several years ago getting an "upgraded" set of rotors and ceramic pads. It is clear from today's lesson that the pads are performing very well, but the "upgraded" rotors did not. I have never heard of an out of round rotor; tires yes, but rotors???? While I was there I picked up their Castrol oil and Purolator filter special ($22). It is funny that the Pep Boys coupon on line for an in house oil change is only $20. It now costs me more to do it myself. I still will do so, so I can crawl underneath my cars to see if anything looks weird like a cracked CV boot. Nonetheless, it is nice to know as I get too old to crawl under three cars that oil changes are so inexpensive (with coupon). Some day I'll have to hang it up and rely on these services. For now, I guess it is nice knowing I don't have to wait in line for the service to be performed and I can go out and do it in my driveway at my leisure. Soon, these will be just fond memories.
rtrvibe2006

Post by rtrvibe2006 »

My fear in trying a DIY is that I have this horrific noise on the front passenger side when braking & really not sure what exactly is the root cause. I had a GM dealership try and tell me I had a hot spot on one rotor, and they machined the rotor 2x for me with no fix. I know I am due for new discs, as they are original (to my knowledge) with 100,000 km on the Vibe. I have picked up ATE performance discs and ceramic pads. Is there a break in process (bedding-in process) that the mechanic performs when they do a brake job?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

rtrvibe2006 wrote:Is there a break in process (bedding-in process) that the mechanic performs when they do a brake job?
There's one that you do. ATE should have instructions on how they want it done, but you do it by driving and braking a certain way.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Mailing from dealer today - coupon for $99 per axle for brakes. But I am sure that is just for pad replacement - any calipers that need work or replacement would be a lot extra. And of course the rotors often need to be machined.
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

I've driven cars and motorcycles for over 54 years, Never turned a rotor, never had a drum ground. Just put in new shoes or pads, drive aware for a few miles. Never had a problem.

I'm sure there will those who disagree and YMMV.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Vulcan05 wrote:I've driven cars and motorcycles for over 54 years, Never turned a rotor, never had a drum ground. Just put in new shoes or pads, drive aware for a few miles. Never had a problem.

I'm glad you never had a problem. As you say ... YMMV.

I've almost NEVER installed new shoes or pads without replacing the drum or rotor or having it turned. If nothing else, it mentally feels right to me. When drums wear from the shoes there is a ridge on the outside edge. Getting a drum off that has a ridge can be a real pain. Replacement pads/shoes are almost never exactly the same size/position as what comes off. The wear pattern will be different.

I'm not saying not to do it but having done my own brakes since I was 16 YO I prefer to turn/replace. There are a lot of items on a car that one can go "cheap" on but brakes are pretty much the top of my list to do right as possible.

My 3¢ worth.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Water boy wrote:
Vulcan05 wrote:I've driven cars and motorcycles for over 54 years, Never turned a rotor, never had a drum ground. Just put in new shoes or pads, drive aware for a few miles. Never had a problem.

I'm glad you never had a problem. As you say ... YMMV.

I've almost NEVER installed new shoes or pads without replacing the drum or rotor or having it turned. If nothing else, it mentally feels right to me. When drums wear from the shoes there is a ridge on the outside edge. Getting a drum off that has a ridge can be a real pain. Replacement pads/shoes are almost never exactly the same size/position as what comes off. The wear pattern will be different.

I'm not saying not to do it but having done my own brakes since I was 16 YO I prefer to turn/replace. There are a lot of items on a car that one can go "cheap" on but brakes are pretty much the top of my list to do right as possible.

My 3¢ worth.

A little off topic - and to let you know that I personally could care less about the pros or cons of the current gay rights same (removed) marriage issues. But as a lawyer I note that gay marriages results in gay divorces and that is good for business.

But your 3 cents worth draws this observation - Obama should have the Treasury print $3 bills. Then no one could any longer say "as (removed) as a $3 bill".
This probably should be in the humor section.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Isn't it (removed) or odd what the auto delete on this board finds objectionable? No matter which (removed) gender is posting. I am glad my name isn't (removed) Richard. What's new (removed) kitty cat.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

jake75 wrote: This probably should be in the humor section.
Good one Jerome :lol: And I think they should add the word "removed" to the objectionable list. It gets old seeing that word all the time. When we get P I S S E D off, or wish to express that we had S H I T T Y service somewhere, we should be able to express that in the words that give it real meaning
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"