Project PowerStop: Complete 2009 Vibe GT brake upgrade

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
vibenvy

Project PowerStop: Complete 2009 Vibe GT brake upgrade

Post by vibenvy »

Since both our Vibes are approaching 50,000 miles and will be needing some new brake parts soon, I have decided to start sourcing parts to do a complete upgrade when the time comes, rather than just using regular old OEM replacement parts.

After alot of research, I have found the parts to do a complete front and rear brake upgrade on a 2009 Vibe GT (drilled and slotted front and rear rotors, ceramic front and rear pads and braided stainless steel front and rear lines). I will be having a local mechanic do all the work for me, so since he'll have everything apart anyway, I am going to take full advantage and get some used front and rear calipers to have powder coated black (so I'll never have to paint them again!) and I will allso be having the edges and hats (centers) of the front and rear rotors powder coated black as well so everything should stay nice looking for a long time to come.

I will be ordering parts here and there rather than all at once since both Vibes still have plenty of brake life left. The rotors and pads will be purchased brand new on eBay for ridiculously cheap prices. The calipers will most likely be purchased used on eBay since there aren't any available near me in junkyards. The brake lines will be purchased directly from the company that makes them (Techna-Fit). Some other miscellaneous things i.e. caliper rebuild kits are still being researched at the moment, but will most likely come from an online GM parts distributor.

Below is the information on the main parts that will be used in the upgrade:

POWERSTOP EVOLUTION PERFORMANCE DRILLED AND SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS

Overview:
PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors give you the advantages of both drilled holes for cooling and slots to sweep away gas and dust. PowerStop rotors use only the finest blanks and feature G3000 grade castings from the best foundries. All drilled and slotted rotors (except for hub rotor assemblies) are silver zinc plated to resist rust. The drilled and slotted design is our most popular performance rotor for street and day track applications.

Features:
• Drill holes keep brake rotors up to 180 degrees cooler
• Slots keep a clear contact patch between the pad and the rotor
• Increased braking performance
• Look great behind custom (or factory) wheels

Part numbers for 2009-2010 Vibe GT:
Front left: #JBR1127XL
Front right: #JBR1127XR

Rear left: #JBR1363XL
Rear right: #JBR1363XR

Front pair: #JBR1127XPR
Rear pair: #JBR1363XPR

POWERSTOP Z17 EVOLUTION PLUS CERAMIC BRAKE PADS

Overview:
The Z17 Evolution Plus product line combines our performance proven Z16 Evolution Ceramic pads with application specific brake hardware kits. Each hardware kit will include stainless steel abutment clips (where applicable), anti-rattle hardware clips, piston clips or bushings and sleeves as required for installation.

Features:
• OEM Positive Mold Technology for consistent fade free performance
• Dual active rubber shims provide 6 times more noise reduction
• Chamfered and slotted like the OE pad
• Most applications include Premium Stainless Steel Hardware Kit
• Thermal Scorched for fast break-in

Part numbers for 2009-2010 Vibe GT:
Front pair: #17-1211
Rear pair: #17-1212

Check out PowerStop's website for more information and available products.

TECHNA-FIT BRAIDED STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES

Overview:
Techna-Fit's D.O.T. certified, high performance, brake line kits are made to fit all makes and models of cars.

Our brake lines are made of the finest PTFE hose and permanently crimped-on zinc plated steel fittings. Our hose is made with an extruded PTFE core and a stainless steel wire braided cover. They reduce volumetric expansion giving you the reliability and safety you demand.

Overtime and under continuous use, OEM rubber lines can swell and expand, exposing the driver to brake fade. The rubber cover is also vulnerable to attacks from the ozone layer rubber which causes it to deteriorate. In extreme applications (Auto X, racing, hard driving) rubber hoses might be susceptible to flying debris. Stainless steel lines will give protection from these issues along with enhancing the appearance of your installation.

For added protection against abrasion and corrosion, all of our hoses are available in a variety of colors of PVC outer cover.

All of our kits are assembled in-house giving us the ability to handle custom requirements.

To insure you are buying Techna-Fit's D.O.T. certified lines, look for our F.T.S. stamped on the boot of each line.

All Techna-Fit's factory assembled brake line kits include all the necessary bolts and washers required for installation and are backed by our lifetime warranty.

Features:
• D.O.T Certified
• Our stainless steel braided lines can be made with a variety of PVC protective hose coverings: No Cover, Clear, Smoke, Black, Blue & Red, for NO extra charge!

Part number for 2009-2010 Vibe GT:
Front & rear: #TOY-2236

Check out Techna-Fit's website for more information and available products.

03.12.14 - Received first pair of front rotors.
03.15.14 - Received all four pairs of brake pads.
04.09.14 - Received all eight used calipers.
09.03.14 - Received second pair of front rotors.
10.09.14 - Received both pairs of rear rotors.
11.14.16 - Received all four front & three rear caliper rebuild kits.
03.09.17 - Received fourth rear caliper rebuild kit & all eight brake lines.
04.15.17 - Picked up all eight calipers and rotors from sandblasting and powder coating.

1 pair of front rotors = $69.00 [eBay: missouricarparts]
1 pair of front rotors = $93.67 [eBay: midwest-autoparts]
2 pairs of rear rotors = $71.19 x 2 + $10.55 (shipping) = $152.93 [eBay: carid]
TOTAL: $315.60

2 pairs of front brake pads = $31.26 x 2 = $62.52 [eBay: bestautopartstogo]
2 pairs of rear brake pads = $20.64 x 2 = $41.28 [eBay: bestautopartstogo]
TOTAL: $103.80

2 front & rear brake line sets = $115.00 x 2 = $230.00 = $230.00 [technafitstore.com]
TOTAL: $230.00

4 used front calipers & 4 used rear calipers = $35.00 x 8 = $280.00 [eBay: aaaautoparts]
TOTAL: $280.00

4 front caliper rebuild kits = $33.99 x 4 = $135.96 [gmpartscenter.net]
3 rear caliper rebuild kits = $21.22 x 3 = $63.66 [gmpartscenter.net]

TOTAL: $199.62 - $19.96 (10% discount) = $179.66 + $17.32 (shipping) = $196.98

1 Toyota rear caliper rebuild kit = $30.70 [Sparks Toyota]

Sandblasted and satin black powder coated front calipers (×4), rear calipers (×4), front caliper brackets (×4), rear caliper brackets (×4), front rotor hats and edges (×4) and rear rotor hats and edges (×4) = $720.00 [Fox Valley Sandblasting and Powder Coating - Yorkville, IL]

TOTAL: $1126.38 (parts) + $720.00 (sandblasting & powder coating) = $1846.38 ÷ 2 = $923.19 per Vibe

Here are some important GM part numbers I have found while researching this project:

2009-2010 AWD & GT front left brake caliper = #19204319
2009-2010 AWD & GT front right brake caliper = #19204318

2009-2010 AWD & GT rear left brake caliper = #19204610
2009-2010 AWD & GT rear right brake caliper = #19204609

2009-2010 AWD & GT front brake caliper rebuild kit = #19205153
2009-2010 AWD & GT rear brake caliper rebuild kit = #19204656 *discontinued* ---> Equivalent Toyota part = #04479-06280

I will update this thread as I order and receive parts and will eventually have plenty of install pictures, so stay tuned!
Last edited by vibenvy on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:43 am, edited 19 times in total.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Re: Project PowerStop: Complete 2009 Vibe GT brake upgrade

Post by tpollauf »

Hmmmmm .... Somebody must have received a BIG tax refund check :lol: Looking forward to the progress when it happens ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Derf

Post by Derf »

Like the plan, better and brighter. Car is so much easier to clean without brake rust.
Indication of things to come,.. more Horse Power...?
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:Hmmmmm .... Somebody must have received a BIG tax refund check :lol: Looking forward to the progress when it happens ;)
Not huge, but big enough to help jumpstart a nice brake upgrade fund for both Vibes :D!
Derf wrote:Like the plan, better and brighter. Car is so much easier to clean without brake rust.
Indication of things to come,.. more Horse Power...?
Yeah, I just hope that the powder coating place will indeed be able and willing to powder coat the edges and hats of the rotors. I've had calipers powder coated before, but not rotors :|.

No horsepower increase, just a nice brake upgrade and I figure the rotors will look pretty bad @ss behind the factory 18" wheels too :cool:! I've had upgraded rotors and pads on previous vehicles and they do make a huge difference in stopping power, so I'm expecting the same, if not even better results with the Vibes.

UPDATE

The first set of front rotors arrived today :D!

I ordered all 4 pairs of brake pads today. I also contacted a seller on eBay (a salvage yard in MN) who has a bunch of used 2009-2010 Vibe calipers listed. I contacted them about whether they had all 8 calipers that I am looking for and if so, would they be willing to offer any sort of discount for ordering all 8 at once from them. Looking forward to hearing what they have to say...
Last edited by vibenvy on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

UPDATE

Brake pads arrived yesterday!

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

UPDATE

I struck a deal with aaaautoparts on eBay to get 8 used calipers for $35.00 each with free shipping for a total of $280.00!

I am hoping to be able to turn around and sell our calipers once the brake upgrades are complete to make some of this money back *crosses fingers*.
Last edited by vibenvy on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

fwiw, when i redid my brakes last spring, i got oem-style rotors @ $100 for all four corners, and hawk hps pads ($150 shipped in the US for 4 corners from the guys at http://www.microimageonline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

stopping power is DRAMATICALLY increased from the crappy pads on there before.
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Nice project.

Too late for your job, but in case someone else reads this.

I installed Hawk yellow box pads and EBC slotted/dimpled rotors. The hats are still new looking after a year.

Stops on a dime.

Hate the "ticking" of the rotors. Not sure if it is the "slots" or "dimples".

I've already had to turn the rotors once due to warping.
Time to do it again.

DISCLAIMER: It is the wife's car and she is a brake-eater.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I had Hawk pads on my Sunfire Sedan and they were horrible. I had PowerStop pads on my Sunfire GT and they were awesome which is why I went with all PowerStop parts. This is an expensive project, but I know it will be worth it for many reasons. Not to mention, our Vibes haven't even hit 50,000 miles yet and the original brakes are still fine, so I know these upgraded parts will last for a long time once they go on. Neither I nor my parents are hard brakers.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

UPDATE

The calipers arrived a few days ago.

I immediately disassembled them so they're all set to go to the powder coater when the time comes. I was surprised that they came apart so easily since they had obviously been sitting in a junkyard for quite some time (dead bugs, spiderwebs, etc. inside the pistons and rust, dirt, sand, etc. on the outer surfaces).

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

AAA Auto? My coworker from the hobby shop works there! I pick parts from the sister company U Pull R Parts, which is located right next door. Small world...

I've got a brake upgrade for my own Vibe coming, as my brakes are nearing their end. Pedal is starting to feel weird. But I'll be getting stainless lines, upgraded rotors/pads, and one of my Spring Projects as well!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

KITT222 wrote:AAA Auto? My coworker from the hobby shop works there! I pick parts from the sister company U Pull R Parts, which is located right next door. Small world...

I've got a brake upgrade for my own Vibe coming, as my brakes are nearing their end. Pedal is starting to feel weird. But I'll be getting stainless lines, upgraded rotors/pads, and one of my Spring Projects as well!
Awesome! AAA was great! Amazing price for the calipers, free shipping (came in 2 huge, heavy boxes) and excellent customer service! I definitely would not hesitate to buy from them again if the need arises!

Looking forward to seeing your brake upgrade Nick!
triz

Post by triz »

AAA is a great seller. Bought lots of parts off of them always fast and great service. Any plans on doing a brake flush? I did my Chevy truck the other day and removed the reservoir, cleaned it and dropped some new fluid in there. Nice and clear. :mrgreen:
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

triz wrote:AAA is a great seller. Bought lots of parts off of them always fast and great service. Any plans on doing a brake flush? I did my Chevy truck the other day and removed the reservoir, cleaned it and dropped some new fluid in there. Nice and clear. :mrgreen:
Mine was black when I flushed it. :)
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

triz wrote:Any plans on doing a brake flush? I did my Chevy truck the other day and removed the reservoir, cleaned it and dropped some new fluid in there. Nice and clear. :mrgreen:
Yes! I am having a local mechanic that I know and trust do the entire install since he'll have to rebuild the "new" calipers, install new brake lines, etc. so I was planning on also giving him some brand new brake fluid to put in. Any suggestions? I was thinking Toyota brake fluid...
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Thanks to your influence, my Vibe is now equipped with Powerstop rotors and pads in the front. But I've got a whole overhaul planned, and this was actually a pretty big part, so thanks for mentioning Powerstop!

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

You're very welcome Nick! The front brakes look awesome! I can't wait to see what else you've got planned :twisted:!
Derf

Post by Derf »

Thanks for the post, used your research as basis for upgrade. Didn't get get the stainless lines, but it is on the short list.
Pics of the install and other details LINK: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40549&p=497556#p497556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Power stop 2005 Vibe Base 18 (non-GT) Prices 07/01/14 from Rock Auto, they had the cheapest price, even cheaper than the "one click" rotor pad package ($118)
P/N JBR931XPR and JBR931XPL Front Driver and Passenger side (directional slots) $69.58
P/N 16-923 Powerstop brake pads, front $18.88
P/N H8229 Wagner Caliper Guide Pin Boot Kit $3.19 In case tore caliper boot during re-greasing. Old boots came out, with some effort, in great shape

The Powerstop pad and hardware package 17-923 $21.79 would have been better, but everyone had it on backorder, and the existing hardware I had was still in great shape
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to see this thread has inspired you to upgrade your brakes as well Derf ;)!
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

Yup, thanks so much for this. I'm very happy with my front upgrade, now I just need to do the rear.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

kaflex wrote:Yup, thanks so much for this. I'm very happy with my front upgrade, now I just need to do the rear.
You're very welcome! It's great to see this thread is inspiring people to do brake upgrades of their own :)!

UPDATE

Today I scored a great deal on a second pair of front rotors from a seller on eBay! They're set to arrive by the end of this week...

I also added a list to the first thread showing what parts I have and what parts I still need. I'm about halfway there parts-wise. I still need to go talk to the powder coating place and see what they have to say about prices and all. On the bright side, while I'm there, I can also talk to them about powder coating our OEM 18" wheels in the spring :D!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibenvy wrote: On the bright side, while I'm there, I can also talk to them about powder coating our OEM 18" wheels in the spring :D!

Hmmmmm .... Sounds like you're up to no good Carrie :o Photoshop us your ideas of changing the 18" GT rim's appearance. I'm not convinced that anything different from what they currently look like would do our Vibe Gt's any justice. You got my curiosity though
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

The second pair of front rotors arrived this past Wednesday! I can't wait to get all the parts and have everything put on! Those rotors are going to look sooo amazing behind the 18" wheels :twisted:!
tpollauf wrote:Hmmmmm .... Sounds like you're up to no good Carrie :shock: Photoshop us your ideas of changing the 18" GT rim's appearance. I'm not convinced that anything different from what they currently look like would do our Vibe Gt's any justice. You got my curiosity though
I'm not planning anything fancy, I've just been contemplating a nice metallic silver for the entire wheel. Two of the wheels on my mom's Vibe have some slight curbage on the outer edge and one of the wheels on mine has some pretty deep little scratches on the face. There's really no way to fix them short of having them media blasted and powder coated. I like the current look of them, but I don't like the fact that no matter what, the polished faces end up with little tiny scratches on them. They look great from far away, but when you get up close and/or when the wheels are clean, they look pretty bad which really bugs me since I'm so OCD when it comes to the Vibes. I'm thinking a nice metallic silver powder coated wheel would be much more durable and would still provide a nice, clean, subtle look for the Vibes much like the current wheels do. I figure a nice, simple metallic silver would go great with the exterior colors of both Vibes. Also, they both already have metallic silver accents (i.e. interior pieces, intake tube, headlights and taillights, etc.) so some metallic silver wheels would definitely match the color schemes well. Ultimately, it all depends on prices though because it will definitely be time for new tires for the 18s in the spring (original tires will be 6 years old within the next couple months) and tires alone will be around $1200.00 for both Vibes, so I'm not going to get the wheels powder coated unless it's going to be $100.00 or less per wheel. I've really got to get over to the powder coater and talk to them about the calipers and wheels. Depending on how much they quote me to do the wheels, I may have my tire guy go ahead and remove the tires from the 18s once I put the winter wheels on and go ahead and have the wheels and calipers all powder coated at once over the winter. We shall see though. Stay tuned...
kostby

Post by kostby »

Have you thought about Plastidip?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyB3FbYRRs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.dipyourcar.com/Kit-Wheels-cat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's lower cost compared to alternatives like power-coating, it's definitely a do-it-yourself task, you can select from different colors and finishes, and you can always peel it off later.
Also seems to protect the wheel since it's rubberized.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

kostby wrote:Have you thought about Plastidip?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyB3FbYRRs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.dipyourcar.com/Kit-Wheels-cat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's lower cost compared to alternatives like power-coating, it's definitely a do-it-yourself task, you can select from different colors and finishes, and you can always peel it off later.
Also seems to protect the wheel since it's rubberized.
I actually tried black PlastiDip on the OEM 18" wheels of my Vibe a year or two ago. It's a very nice product, but I am looking for something more permanent for the wheels. Thanks for the info though ;)!
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

Vibenvy!

Very awesome write-up as always!! I went ahead and ordered the same setup for myself (and discovered some interesting results). Just wanted to chime in for anyone with the base model; our rear pads/rotors are different (The Vibe is crazy).

The rear rotors for the GT/AWD are #JB1363XPR

While the base model rotors should be #JBR1364XPR

The rear pads for the GT/AWD are #17-1212

While the base model pads are #17-1354

Just wanted to clarify so you don't make my mistake. Other than that the powerstop upgrade is phenomenal! Braking feels so much better.

Happy modding everyone!
trystero777

Post by trystero777 »

This is going to seem completely boring compared to all the awesome brake upgrades....

I have a 2003 VibeGT which I love. Last year my mechanic - whom I trust - replaced front pads and rotors. Since then we have replaced the front right rotor 4 times. A week to a month after installing the brake starts to make a scraping sound when I apply the brakes. After the car has been driven a while it is a nasty metallic scrape/clunk when brakes are applied. I would have thought it was a loose caliber the way it rattles. But my mechanic heard it and keeps replacing the rotor. It is in there for rotor #5 right now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
2003 Vibe GTMoon & TunePrevious cars:'88 Mazda 323 (42mpg!)'71 Dodge Dart Swinger
triz

Post by triz »

Dragging caliper or warped rotor would be my guest. How long does the car sit? Maybe it's just some surface rust.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
trystero777

Post by trystero777 »

No - the car doesn't sit and we keep replacing the rotor. I thought a loose caliber - but he says caliber is fine. Definitely could be a warped rotor - convinced him to try a different brand for a change. Hopefully that works.
'
Thx
2003 Vibe GTMoon & TunePrevious cars:'88 Mazda 323 (42mpg!)'71 Dodge Dart Swinger
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MaSlade wrote:Vibenvy!

Very awesome write-up as always!! I went ahead and ordered the same setup for myself (and discovered some interesting results). Just wanted to chime in for anyone with the base model; our rear pads/rotors are different (The Vibe is crazy).

The rear rotors for the GT/AWD are #JB1363XPR

While the base model rotors should be #JBR1364XPR

The rear pads for the GT/AWD are #17-1212

While the base model pads are #17-1354

Just wanted to clarify so you don't make my mistake. Other than that the powerstop upgrade is phenomenal! Braking feels so much better.

Happy modding everyone!
Slade! Haven't seen you post in a while! How's it going? How's the Vibe? Anything new besides the brake setup?

Thanks for adding the info for any Base model owners. It makes sense the rear brakes would be different since the AWD and GT have IRS and the Base models don't. Although, it's goofy that the rear calipers are the same across all the models :roll:. Glad you're enjoying your new brake setup ;)! Reading your post makes me even more excited to get all the brake upgrade goodies installed on our Vibes :D!
trb

Post by trb »

vibenvy wrote:
MaSlade wrote:Vibenvy!

Slade! Haven't seen you post in a while! How's it going? How's the Vibe? Anything new besides the brake setup?

Thanks for adding the info for any Base model owners. It makes sense the rear brakes would be different since the AWD and GT have IRS and the Base models don't. Although, it's goofy that the rear calipers are the same across all the models :roll:. Glad you're enjoying your new brake setup ;)! Reading your post makes me even more excited to get all the brake upgrade goodies installed on our Vibes :D!
Mustangs had the same rotor/caliper deal. All of the 94-04 Mustangs used the same rear calipers, just the base and GT had solid rotors, while Cobras used larger vented rotors. Ford had thinner pads to compensate for the thicker Cobra rotors. Plus they used different mounting brackets for the Cobra brakes since the rotors were larger in diameter also. I'll bet other cars with base models and high performance models do the same for cost and parts consistency.

Good luck on the conversion!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Derf

Project PowerStop: Complete 2009 Vibe GT brake upgrade Rebat

Post by Derf »

For anyone looking to completing a PowerStop upgrade. Rock Auto just started a rebate on the Power Stop packages, was in their monthly newsletter:
http://www.rockauto.com/Images/CurrProm ... 281%29.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So far very happy with the upgrade on my Vibe. Braking seems to be a bit more responsive, the brakes are still "clean" (the coating they used on the rotor is preventing rust) and the calipers are quiet. Will see how the "clean" setup fares in the winter crud.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

UPDATE

Today I scored a great deal on both pairs of the PowerStop rear rotors from a seller on eBay. They should arrive later this week and I'll be sure to post pictures!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

UPDATE

Both pairs of rear rotors arrived this past Thursday!

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

No updates for Project PowerStop specifically, but I did want to post about PowerStop's newest brake pads... Z23 Evolution Sport brake pads. I wish I would have known they were going to be coming out with these, I would have waited to order brake pads. Oh well, I may decide to try and sell the two complete sets of Z17 Evolution Plus brake pads I have or more than likely, I will just go ahead and use them.
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

vibenvy wrote:No updates for Project PowerStop specifically, but I did want to post about PowerStop's newest brake pads... Z23 Evolution Sport brake pads. I wish I would have known they were going to be coming out with these, I would have waited to order brake pads. Oh well, I may decide to try and sell the two complete sets of Z17 Evolution Plus brake pads I have or more than likely, I will just go ahead and use them.
No regrets! Go ahead and install those brake pads, wear em out, then buy PowerStop's newest pads :) They definitely grab a lot better than stock, so you should be happy with performance anyways.

And I found yet another thing that will not fit the Base models! The Technafit brake lines for the rear brakes did not fit as they were way too short, but the front lines fit perfectly fine. It looks like both the front and rear brake lines are actually the same length. I'm not 100% sure, but it's probably due to the IRS. Currently trying to find the correct part number for it.
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

Great post! I too, will be modding my brakes soon. Found a great upgrade kit on ebay from Brake Motive Corp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291193334973

Will definitely let you all know who the install/performance goes. I also plan on painting my brake calipers red.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

PonchoGT wrote:Great post! I too, will be modding my brakes soon. Found a great upgrade kit on ebay from Brake Motive Corp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291193334973

Will definitely let you all know who the install/performance goes. I also plan on painting my brake calipers red.
Awesome! I look forward to hearing how the install goes and how the new setup performs. Be sure to post a lot of pictures(you should start a Garage thread to track the progress of your Vibe ;)).
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

Got my Powerstop rotors and ceramic brake pads mounted this past Saturday. They are DOPE! Absolute brick-wall brakes now. And they look too cool behind the factory 18" alloys.

My next mod will be to paint my brake calipers bright red.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to hear you're liking the new setup! Makes me that much more excited to get ours done! I still need to get the stainless steel lines and caliper rebuild kits, plus I need to talk to the powder coater about powder coating the calipers, rotor hats and edges. I'm hoping to be able to get our setups installed next spring when I get my income tax refund...

Be sure and post some pictures after you get the calipers painted ;)!
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Hey Goodluck with your brake upgrade. Looks good!

I might have to find some good rotors at some point. My oem ones have a tough time with road salt.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Thanks Matt! Nice to see you posting again! Any new mods to the Vibe?
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Hey! Yea it's been awhile. Well I haven't done any mods lately. Im in the process of going back to my stock springs. I just got a bit tired of the harsh ride.

I have this snapshot thing plugged into my car now. Uhh that's like a sweet car insurance monitoring device mod. Lol.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vibedrivermatt wrote:Hey! Yea it's been awhile. Well I haven't done any mods lately. Im in the process of going back to my stock springs. I just got a bit tired of the harsh ride.

I have this snapshot thing plugged into my car now. Uhh that's like a sweet car insurance monitoring device mod. Lol.
There was actually a guy who posted about installing TRD springs on his 2009 Vibe GT a while back. I thought about it, than decided against it. I had two lowered cars in the past and it did get old after a while, plus the GTs already ride a bit rough anyway. Not to mention, even though the drop is not huge, I don't want to lose the ride height. It got really annoying having to dodge roadkill in my lowered Sunfires because otherwise the catalytic converters would hit it... hard :|.

So, you obviously have Progressive :P! That totally counts as a "miscellaneous" mod :lol:! Any future plans?
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Oh ya I have progressive. They are pretty good.

Well, I'm not into modding so much lately but still into doing regular maintenance stuff for my vibe. Ohh I do want to buy some nicer lug nuts. I'd really like to get some good mcgard ones. I want something that doesn't rust so easily. There's a mod! :)
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Whoops double posted.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vibedrivermatt wrote:Ohh I do want to buy some nicer lug nuts. I'd really like to get some good mcgard ones. I want something that doesn't rust so easily. There's a mod!
I highly recommend McGard! I used their Spline Drive tuner lug nuts and wheel locks on my former Sunfires with aftermarket wheels. Pricey, but very nice lug nuts. They're also the ones who make the Toyota OEM alloy wheel locks that we have on our Vibes.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

No updates for Project PowerStop specifically, but I did want to share that PowerStop is now offering freshly rebuilt red powder coated front brake calipers. I just thought this was neat for someone who may want some nicer calipers to go along with other updated brake parts.

As far as Project PowerStop goes, once I receive my income tax refund, I will be ordering a Magnaflow catback exhaust for my mom's Vibe and than I will be getting the rest of the parts needed to finally initiate PPS!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

UPDATE

Earlier this week I received all four front and three rear caliper rebuild kits. The rear caliper rebuild kit (#19204656) has been discontinued by GM. I got the last three in stock anywhere. From all appearances, it does appear the equivalent Toyota part (# 04479-06280) is still available, so I will be ordering the fourth kit from Sparks Toyota. The price difference is only a dollar or two, so not a big deal.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Very happy with my PowerStop upgrade, going into third winter and still no significant corrosion on the rotors. Rims and rotors are still clean and the thermal fins in the rotor do not have the typical crud buildup that non treated rotors have. Link to the technical specs of the outstanding product PowerStop uses to treat their rotors. I will never go back to untreated rotors.
Link: http://www.geomet.net/northamerica/en/c ... -360.xhtml