Brake Lines: Opinions Wanted

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Wolfman213

Brake Lines: Opinions Wanted

Post by Wolfman213 »

Has anyone ever changed their brake lines? If so, did you just replace with the rubber lines or upgrade to a stainless steel setup? I'm going to try and bleed the brakes here soon and thinking of replacing the lines if the mushy feeling still exists. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
Derf

Re: Brake Lines: Opinions Wanted

Post by Derf »

Need more information on the car and history. Mushy feeling can be caused by several components. The lines typically do not cause a soft pedal, unless they have a small leak, indicated by oil on the lines or being spayed onto part of the car.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

06 base, no ABS, 185k on it brakes are good up from with about 50% left and rotors are fine with appearance of normal wear. Rear drums have never been replaced. I will be checked the fluid reservoir tomorrow though. I've never replaced or added new fluid.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
rloftus

Post by rloftus »

I would drain and replace the fluid before replacing the lines.

Also make sure that the cap on the brake fluid reservoir is in good condition and sealing tightly. Brake fluid sucks up moisture so if that cap gets degraded you can get a lot of H20 in your brake lines which will give you that mushy feeling.