How to change rear side rotors and pads

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
meteor

How to change rear side rotors and pads

Post by meteor »

How to change rear side rotors and pads?
vibedrivermatt

Re: How to change rear side rotors and pads

Post by vibedrivermatt »

OH, im replacing rear rotors and pads soon on my 2009. They're ready to be replaced. I havent bought the parts yet but ontime when I was replacing all lug nut studs I was tinkering around with the rear calipers and found out that I couldn't compress the rear caliper with a C-clamp. It has to do with how the e-brake mechanism is designed to work with the rear caliper. I just picked up one of these 6-sided tools from Jegs for about $12. Hope that works when I attempt the job.

Heres a good youtube vid about it. He does a good job to explain how to compress the rear caliper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlMU8K36Hjo&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ wish I knew how to embed video. I have done it before, but cant figure it out now..?
trb

Post by trb »

Sometimes those cubes are a bit hard to use. If you have a good parts place like Autozone or similar, many times they have the professional caliper tool for rent for just a deposit you get back when you return it. I've used it before and it worked out well. I actually bought the kit from Harbor Freight when they had it on sale for $25 a couple of years ago.

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

Or you grab some needle nose pliers in a pinch. I actually find it easier than the "pandoras box". Stuff them in place and twist until you bottom the caliper out.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Interesting! Confronted with something similar on a set of Accord rear discs - a huge slotted screw that I was able to turn using a screw driver turned sideways.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).