A sudden loose steering wheel

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
ParknVibe

A sudden loose steering wheel

Post by ParknVibe »

Every once in a while I tend to feel the steering wheel become loose or not steering the wheels momentarily. I would turn the steering wheel but the car would not follow. 2009 Vibe with 2.4L engine and automatic trans.
star_deceiver

Re: A sudden loose steering wheel

Post by star_deceiver »

How rutted was the road?
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
cq358

Post by cq358 »

ParknVibe wrote:Every once in a while I tend to feel the steering wheel become loose or not steering the wheels momentarily. I would turn the steering wheel but the car would not follow. 2009 Vibe with 2.4L engine and automatic trans.
Okay then, try not stomp on the gas pedal after completed a turn.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

star_deceiver wrote:How rutted was the road?
I experience this too. If the road is patched a lot or rutted, the front wheels want to follow the the ruts or the steering gets a little "crazy" with all the different pavement surfaces. The ruts are like driving in snow, but, the patched areas feel like I'm driving on ice. So, I just back off the throttle and wait for the smoother stuff.

It's just the wheels wanting to follow a given path or the irregular surface causing the steering to act funny.
daniel4888

Post by daniel4888 »

same with gravel came went on gravel this weekend i get a very bad push when i turn my wheels
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=35034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even though you did not report the 2009-10 rattle, I am concerned because of info from the above thread regarding the steering.

Here is a pertinent excerpt from XRVibe10, who works for a dealership:
When the Steering Column is replaced on the Vibes, the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module) has to be recalibrated for angle, position, & torque (the sensors that is) its all done through the Scan tool and makes sure the module has the correct values for the newly installed column - if it wasn't recalibrated it make read the old values & be trying to correct for it being out (i.e: your wheel is straight but it thinks your steering 8 degrees to the left & the assist is wanting to help return you to center)
this could be a cause of your vibration & could get worse @ higher speeds like you mentioned - take it back & get it fixed - Also, don't know if you hand any other work done (brakes, tires, etc) ie: make sure the wheels are tight as well if you had any other related work
Anyway, this makes me think we must have drive by wire steering - where there is no mechanical link from steering wheel to your front wheels. If your steering problems are not related to ruts in the road (in the past I had a front wheel drive car and I put on wider, lower profile tires and this made the car swerve a lot as it followed road imperfections, especially under acceleration) I wonder if your PSCM is failing or shorting out.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

My 2010 2.4 Auto sometimes has the same issue espically following the ruts in the road - the lower profile 17" & 18" wheels are quite bad for grabbing ruts & uneven surfaces and making the car steer unexpectedly - Even when i'm holding the wheel I have to fight the ruts sometimes, its' caught me a few times off guard if your not holding the wheel as tight as you think & all of the sudden your going for the rhubarb - These cars have electric assist steering with a column mounted motor to assist in turning - there is a physical link between the column & steering rack via the intermideate shaft - I have noticed that these newer generation Vibes with electric power steering are more sensitive to road conditions, a small draw back I guess, just hold on tight and enjoy the ride :) I do notice that when I install my winter tires & rims (16 inch) it doesn't seem to be as bad since the width is smaller and sidewalls larger so it won't grab ruts as bad - hope this helps a bit, as usual, if your concern gets worse or you feel uncomfortable with its driving characteristics, it doesn't hurt to take your car in to get the wheels, tires, brakes, alignment, etc checked...to give you some piece of mind
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

Kincaid wrote:Anyway, this makes me think we must have drive by wire steering - where there is no mechanical link from steering wheel to your front wheels. If your steering problems are not related to ruts in the road (in the past I had a front wheel drive car and I put on wider, lower profile tires and this made the car swerve a lot as it followed road imperfections, especially under acceleration) I wonder if your PSCM is failing or shorting out.
Not steer by wire, I don't think the government will approve that, but the sensor is used to control the power steering, which is the new electric power steering that many cars have (supposedly to eliminate the power steering pump which draws engine hp all the time.

Charles