How to know if I need new shocks?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Wolfman213

How to know if I need new shocks?

Post by Wolfman213 »

I have 175K on my base 06 and still have the original shocks all around. The ride still feels fine, but I've started hearing an odd gaseous noise coming from the front driver side when I slowly hit bumps that I've just recently started noticing. Only noticed them when going at an angle as I don't recall going over any bumps straight. Like I said though, my ride still feels fine. Money is kinda tight right now so Idon't want to do anything unless absolutely needed.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
jkm311

Re: How to know if I need new shocks?

Post by jkm311 »

I've wondered this, too. My ride still feels as normal as ever at nearly 75k. 175k is impressive!
Steelies to the rescue.
trb

Post by trb »

Generally, if you bounce the corner of the car, and it rebounds/bounces more than 1 time or so, the struts/shocks need replacement. There are some videos on YouTube I'm sure of it. But even if they "need" replacement, they would be OK for a while if need be. It will just put extra wear on your other components, but if you needed to wait a few months, they would be OK unless they are really leaking oil or something. The shocks in my Mustang have been leaking for a year or so, I just haven't had a chance to replace them, and it works fine.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

Yep definitely do the bounce test. And keep an eye out under the wheels for fluid. A some point, the gassy sound will be gone, and the only thing keeping the car off the tires is the spring itself
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

You have Struts up front and shocks in the back. The purpose of each is to keep the wheels planted on the road while providing some cushion to the pavements imperfections.

When they grow older/weaker, they lose their dampening power and will start compressing easier and easier. This is why you'll see older cars bouncing down the highway, their struts are not providing the dampening needed so the car is just riding on the bouncy springs.

Keep that in mind when trying to determine how your shocks/struts are performing. They should be stiff enough to stop the bouncing and compress just enough to cushion the road.

Also the thing that wears them out are bumpy roads and pot holes. You can expect long life out of them if you're spending all your time cruising on smooth highways. But jacked up roads will wear them out a lot quicker.

Hope this helps.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

sideshowalan wrote: Also the thing that wears them out are bumpy roads and pot holes. You can expect long life out of them if you're spending all your time cruising on smooth highways. But jacked up roads will wear them out a lot quicker.
And being in Michigan, I'm surprised that my Vibe still rides well. I know these cars are built to last, but I expected more maintenance at nearly 75k miles! Knock on wood. I consider myself fairly good at seeing trouble up ahead of me, and I've been able to avoid some of it, but I can probably count on my two hands how many hard-hard bumps I've hit, so maybe that's why I have not had anything replaced yet.

sideshowalan wrote:Hope this helps.
Very helpful, indeed.
Steelies to the rescue.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

All of that does help!! The majority of my drive time is on highways so I imagine that has helped the longevity of them. I'll be doing the bounce test tonight. So far no fluids have been appearing on the ground, that I do know at this time. Thanks for all of the help everyone! I will update tonight or tomorrow after I do the bounce test and hopefully I'm just being paranoid lol.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Def don't look like they need replaced. They bounced back to resting state almost immediately with just a tiny bit of excess body bounce. My guess is I can easily push it for another 25K unless (knock on wood) something catastrophic happens!
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Midas Muffler never met a shock (or pvc valve) that didn't need to be replaced. :D
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Houston

Post by Houston »

jake75 wrote:Midas Muffler never met a shock (or pvc valve) that didn't need to be replaced. :D
You got that right!!! Way back in the '80s I took my then-wife's car to them to have the brakes looked over. They came up with a price of $400 plus and told me it needed a new PCV valve. I had replaced it myself only a couple weeks earlier and knew better. I told them no thanks and had them close everything up. Then I went to Jiffy-lube and they fixed the brake problem for something like 60 bucks. I don't recommend anybody go to Midas for anything.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Houston wrote:
jake75 wrote:Midas Muffler never met a shock (or pvc valve) that didn't need to be replaced. :D
You got that right!!! Way back in the '80s I took my then-wife's car to them to have the brakes looked over. They came up with a price of $400 plus and told me it needed a new PCV valve. I had replaced it myself only a couple weeks earlier and knew better. I told them no thanks and had them close everything up. Then I went to Jiffy-lube and they fixed the brake problem for something like 60 bucks. I don't recommend anybody go to Midas for anything.
$400 in the 80's - that would be maybe $800+ in today's dollars. It is now 2012 - just had new front pads and rotors put on a 1999 Caravan that I bought for my son. $225 at an independent shop.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."