Tein S Lowering Springs

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
dinopiratedavid

Tein S Lowering Springs

Post by dinopiratedavid »

Just bought a set of Tein S lowering springs and was doing some research but couldn't find much definitive information between old links not working or the new layout not linking to threads from google but is there anything other than the springs I need to buy to install them? I have an 03 2wd if it makes any difference. Thanks
cieglo

Re: Tein S Lowering Springs

Post by cieglo »

I just put in a set of tein basic. I needed strut mounting plates for front and back. Didn't need anything else except tools & jacks.

They are awesomely better than stock.
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
Raven

Post by Raven »

While you have it apart, a set of Tokico struts will make a huge difference. They're not much stiffer than stock but the improvement in handling is dramatic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOKICO-BLUE-HP- ... tors_Car_T
dinopiratedavid

Would love to just can't afford to put struts in right now? And I take it you can't reuse the stock strut mounting plates? Sorry I've never changed springs before.
Raven

Post by Raven »

The stock mounting plates are fine as long as they are in good condition.
AustinG

Post by AustinG »

Have you installed the Tien springs yet? I'm looking to lower my car at least 2 inches...will these do the job?
dinopiratedavid

Everything the specs say says a 2" drop in the front, 1.9" in the back. I just got em in today but won't have a day off for a week or two so it'll be bit before I get em in, I will put pictures up though when they go in. Question for people who have installed em, was reading the instructions and it says to cut the bump springs in certain places, tried to do some research and couldn't find much. Do you have to cut em and if so how do you?
Raven

Post by Raven »

Yes you do need to cut the rubber bump stops. I used a hacksaw because it had fine teeth.
dinopiratedavid

Finally got em in and now the top of the rear passenger one bounces up on every bump and rattles against the part of the frame above it. Took it out and rebuilt it 3 times and everythingd right but have no idea what it is..
dinopiratedavid

Any guesses?
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Sounds like you're missing something in the assembly...
dinopiratedavid

Everything's in there.. :/
vibe5264

Post by vibe5264 »

Did you ever figure what it was? I'm putting my springs on this week sometime and I'd like to know in advance what to look out for. I got the same ones as you.
dinopiratedavid

I haven't had the time to sit down and figure out what it is yet but nothing's fallen off so I don't think it's anything major. My guess though is that something is missing because I wasn't able to break the top nut on that strut, I ended up just rounding the nut so I took it to a nearby shop that broke the bolt for me and gave me all the parts back in the back and my best guess is that they just lost something or left it out of the parts bag.