rust behind the back wheels

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
behindthelens

rust behind the back wheels

Post by behindthelens »

i just got a 2004 2wd base however i'm not really sure what the part is called maybe the back drums, but they are all rusty. can i get them replaced? if so how much would it cost? will post pictures later.
trb

Re: rust behind the back wheels (behindthelens)

Post by trb »

If it is the drums, the new ones will just rust too unless you paint them. Best thing to do is clean off any loose rust and dirt and just paint the ones you have with black engine paint. I just put the same wheels on my son's 06 but I haven't even looked at the drums to see how bad they are. I know the base steel wheels were really rusted bad though.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Charles (in GA)

Re: rust behind the back wheels (behindthelens)

Post by Charles (in GA) »

I have aluminum wheels, the drums are quite visible thru the wheels. I noticed the rust right away after I bought my Vibe (and it had been garaged and was exceptionally clean underneath). I removed the drums and bead blasted them clean in my blast cabinet, and sprayed them with flat black BBQ grill paint I had on the shelf (not that they get hot enough to be a problem for regular paint). and reinstalled them.The drums were rusted onto the hub. There are two threaded holes in the drum near the center. Before you attempt to remove them, go to the hardware store and buy a couple of hex head metric bolts, 8x1.25 about 30mm or 1¼" long. If the drums won't slip off (make sure the parking brake is released) screw these bolts in the holes and they will bear on the flange of the hub and "jack" the drums free. Save the bolts for later use, clean the hub with some scotchbrite or light sandpaper and put a very light film of grease on it so it won't rust again.I think these same bolts work on the front brake rotors to free them from the hubs also.I suppose I need to add some warnings for the less mechanically inclined here. Make sure the car is in park or a straight shift in first or reverse. Block the wheels with wood blocks, chocks, or other suitable objects to keep the vehicle from rolling when you jack it, and use a jack stand to support it when it is raised up. NEVER get under a vehicle while supported solely by the jack. Some people slip the wheel under the car about half way to act as a safety should it fall, though I've never been inclined to do this.Charles