Best struts to pair with lowering springs - 2003 VibeGT?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
teun11

Best struts to pair with lowering springs - 2003 VibeGT?

Post by teun11 »

While changing out my winter studless tires (on steel wheels) I noticed that both front struts have torn boots and apparent fluid leaking. I have 192K on my vibe (purchased in 2006 with 68K - 2nd owner) and want to continue the love affair as long as possible. Most miles are from long highway trips.Since I'm probably replacing struts all around, I'm thinking of also doing lowering springs for better performance and more attractive stance. I hear good things about H&R OE Sport springs. Who knows the best spring/strut combo? I saw 2005 post re: struts not keeping up with lowering springs and wonder it this is still an issue, or if new product has corrected? I am considering new wheels soon too - am on my last season with my Toyo's so, now's a good a time to swap wheels too.I didn't see any current posts that answer this question. So far I've only done an AEM short ram intake, but have wanted to adjust suspension for a while now. Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts!
2003 VibeGT - Mods: AEM Short Ram Intake1977 Chevy Nova
dustie

Re: Best struts to pair with lowering springs - 2003 VibeGT? (teun11)

Post by dustie »

I have skunk2 springs and monroe struts. The struts were the only thing that I could find in stock when I put the springs on so I picked them up. I dont think the ride is bad at all.. Much better cornering has a little bounce on the crappy roads when I head to California but generally its pretty smooth
sideshowalan

Re: Best struts to pair with lowering springs - 2003 VibeGT? (teun11)

Post by sideshowalan »

Can't speak to springs but the strut/shock selection is pretty limited for the vibes/matrices.Monroe - OEM heightKYB - OEM or very slight dropTokico - anything more than a slight loweringMy own personal opinion is to avoid lowering the car if longevity is your priority. Seems like anyone on here who complains about struts blowing or cv joints dying, has the car lowered.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
ramenboy...

Re: Best struts to pair with lowering springs - 2003 VibeGT? (sideshowalan)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by sideshowalan »Can't speak to springs but the strut/shock selection is pretty limited for the vibes/matrices.Monroe - OEM heightKYB - OEM or very slight dropTokico - anything more than a slight loweringthat's true. as far as i know, the three listed are what's available for the vibe. i've got kyb, and have had the car lowered for 4 years on tein s-techs.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four