2009 Vibe Steering Rattle

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
olsjason

2009 Vibe Steering Rattle

Post by olsjason »

Hello, I recently purchased a 2009 Vibe 1.8 FWD, and as soon as I got it home I noticed a rattle coming from the steering column area. It occurs at low speeds (parking lots, driveways, etc.) and I can duplicate the noise by jiggling the steering wheel back and forth with the car off. I've had it to two different dealers and both upper and lower intermediate shafts were replaced. The noise is still there, which sounds like it is coming from the column itself--not near the firewall. The first shop wanted to replace the steering gear assembly; the second didn't know what to do. I found a thread related to the same issue:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42823 . I was wondering if anyone else has had any luck since the thread originated, as I want it fixed but not if I will be replacing the column again in 10K. Thank you for any help!
sideshowalan

Re: 2009 Vibe Steering Rattle (olsjason)

Post by sideshowalan »

Sounds like the same noise on my wife's malibu maxx. The problem was in the intermediate shaft of the steering column. GM was replacing it with the same faulty part so the noise kept coming back. Eventually they released an updated shaft which fixes the problem. So either the first dealer replaced your I-shaft with an outdated part, or they don't have an updated one yet. They're probably not going to rush a fix since it's a dead brand and not a safety issue.Something you can try is to lubricate the shaft which will provide a temporary fix, and also confirm where the problem is coming from. Here's a good write up.http://www.colinkraft.com/shaft.php
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
XRVibe10

Re: 2009 Vibe Steering Rattle (olsjason)

Post by XRVibe10 »

Congrats on your new purchase! Your gonna enjoy it - This rattle noise issue in one that will keep coming back - I have a 2010 Vibe & it's had 3 columns put in (I work @ the dealer so I put them in myself) and the issue returns - I'm easy on the bumps & going in and out of driveways, but no matter how I Baby it, it returns - If you still have warranty then get it replaced, won't hurt and maybe you get lucky - as for I-shaft replacements, we have never put one in these cars, the I-shaft problem is on the actual GM cars like sideshowalan mentioned on his Maxx - Im out of bumper to bumper warranty this july & will put one more in but it will return, just crank the tunes I guess - I've checked with GM so far no updates on a revised column & i wouldn't hold our for one since its a dead brand - I'm curious if the guys on the Matrix site have been having the same issues & if Toyota has a better fix - Hope this helps & Good Luck
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

i had the steering column replaced on mine about 8,000 miles ago. no complaints since-it's been great.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I just keep the stereo loud.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
olsjason

Post by olsjason »

Thanks for the responses. I've been searching around and it seems that many GM models are plagued with similar problems with the steering column. Consequently, I have a few questions, if anyone knows:1) I read (I believe it was for the Cobalt) that pulling the power steering fuse and test driving will help to narrow down if the column is bad. It definitely sounds like the rattle is coming from an area near the power steering motor, so I'm wondering if anyone has attempted this or if it would even work. Finding the 60A fuse under the hood would be another problem..2) I couldn't find much information as to whether the Matrix of the same year has similar steering column problems. This may be a stupid question, but do the Vibe and the Matrix use the same column? If not, would they be interchangeable? Perhaps Toyota got it right.Thanks again for the help. Other than the rattle, I love the car. I'll work on getting a picture for my signature.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I checked on Matrix Owners and found nothing about steering column rattle noises. Very strange - you'd think they would use the exact same parts there.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
vit

Post by vit »

Found this Toyota TSB for Matrix intermediate shaft replacement. http://www.toyotapart.com/STEE...9.pdfAny idea how that applies to Vibe? What about the serial number range or build date?
tpollauf

Re: 2009 Vibe Steering Rattle (XRVibe10)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by XRVibe10 » I have a 2010 Vibe & it's had 3 columns put in (removed) THREE ??? Seeing how you're an expert at removing these, just what goes bad on them? One of the universal joints? the nylon shear pin? bad metal? Is is simply a poor design and all of us eventually will experience this? My 2009 Vibe GT still has very low mileage and no issues as described here. Someday, though from the sounds of this post, I'll have this problem
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vit

Post by vit »

Are GM dealers aware of the upgraded Toyota parts or just keep pulling same old part number from some GM warehouse?
olsjason

Re: (vit)

Post by olsjason »

Well, the GM column has an MSRP of $574.76 and Toyota's is $989.18. Though the diagrams look identical, maybe there is a difference. One would hope they don't come from the same supplier with the $400 disparity. Yikes.
XRVibe10

Re: 2009 Vibe Steering Rattle (tpollauf)

Post by XRVibe10 »

@tpollauf - I'm not completly sure what component fails internally, wether its a bearing or bushing - its not a safety concern, just a noise issue - I've inspected the columns after removal but have never torn one down as they have to be sent back under warranty - The Chevrolet Cobalts, Pontiac G5/Pursuits have the same problem with the column rattle, and I have done so many of those as well. Even if I could tear one down, as far as I know you cannot get parts to rebuild them (@ least we don't have access) - I believe its a poor design as the assist motor is mounted in one direction and the shaft turns in another direction, I'm thinking the force from the assist motor loads up the column steering shaft & loads up a bearing/bushing & causes it to wear making the noise - if i get a chance i'll try to dissasemble one to get a better look @ the issue
olsjason

Post by olsjason »

Hey everyone, I just got my car back from having a column put in. The technician was still convinced that it was the steering gear assembly. I'm glad I didn't go that route; was a $1600 deal. Anyway, the dealer got GM to cover more than half of the repair ($425) and I paid $300. No more rattle; no more aggravation. Hopefully the repair lasts, but for now the noise is gone and I certainly have a greater appreciation for the car. Thanks everyone.
Zimm

Re: (olsjason)

Post by Zimm »

glad to hear that the new column worked for you!
gjed

Post by gjed »

Just bought a 2009 Base 32,600 miles and within the first 2 days I have noticed this rattle. Guess I need to get to a dealer before the warranty is up. Glad I found this outstanding resource. Already in the process of replacing the factory HU & front speakers. But I will post my tale of that project in the appropriate place.
_______________________________________'09 Gray Base w/1.8L AutoAC/PW/PL (Upgrade from factory radio and speakers in progress)
DocDoug

Steering Intermediate Shaft Replaced

Post by DocDoug »

My 2009 started the steering wheel rumble noise at about 25,000 miles. Reading that the problem would probably occur again, I waited until 35,000 to have the repair done under warranty. I explained the problem to the dealership... but they were reluctant to listen to what I had read. They decided to replace the upper part of the steering intermediate shaft. Upon driving 5 feet after the “repair”, I heard the same noise. I entered the dealership and again advised them of the Toyota TSB. They were again reluctant to believe that a Toyota TSB would apply to a Vibe EVEN though they are the same car. They decided this time to replace the lower part of the steering intermediate shaft. A week later, the lower part of the shaft was replaced. Guess what, it STILL had the same noise. The dealership claimed they contacted GM who stated that the noise from the steering was normal. Normal? The car didn’t do this when it was new?!@!@#$#@!@!@At 39,000 miles and reading more about the problem, I became angry and called GM Corporate and stated my case. GM coordinated with another dealership to diagnose my car for free. The new dealership diagnosed the problem with the steering intermediate shaft. (Toyota TSB) I explained that another dealership replaced this, in two visits, three months earlier. They hinted that the other dealership probably didn't replace the part they claimed they did. I found this hard to believe… but who am I? Today, the second dealership replaced the steering intermediate shaft and I immediately knew, within five feet of driving, the fix was made! The steering is now smooth and rumble free!!! Unfortunately, now the steering wheel is no longer perfectly straight when going straight on the highway. Is it possible that when sliding the intermediate shaft into position it was misaligned by one or two splines? The steering was PERFECTLY straight before the repair. Thank you - Doug
DocDoug

Re: Steering Intermediate Shaft Replaced (DocDoug)

Post by DocDoug »

Update - I moved the shaft one spline and it was too much in the other direction. I move the shaft back and took it to the dealer. The dealer was nice and adjusted the toe-in and now the steering is perfectly straight! Back in business!!!
doublesharp

Re: 2009 Vibe Steering Rattle

Post by doublesharp »

Hello:
Could you possibly post a scan of your repair invoice or at least the part number that they replaced so that I could take it to my local dealer.
I was actually there last night to try to get the keyless entry working (they couldn't) and the service rep was extremely adamant that I repair the steering problem first. Even after I told him, he wouldn't even consider that it was the column. It had to be the tie rods or something DANGEROUS.

Sorry you went through that but maybe we can benefit from it as a group.
Thank you,
Brad /Doublesharp...New Vibe owner
doublesharp

Re: Steering Intermediate Shaft Replaced

Post by doublesharp »

Our rattle/noise is really bad and DocDoug seemed to find an answer as he stated in his post above.
DocDoug wrote:...The car didn’t do this when it was new?!@!@#$#@!@!@At 39,000 miles and reading more about the problem, I became angry and called GM Corporate and stated my case. GM coordinated with another dealership to diagnose my car for free. The new dealership diagnosed the problem with the steering intermediate shaft. (Toyota TSB) I explained that another dealership replaced this, in two visits, three months earlier. They hinted that the other dealership probably didn't replace the part they claimed they did. I found this hard to believe… but who am I? Today, the second dealership replaced the steering intermediate shaft and I immediately knew, within five feet of driving, the fix was made! The steering is now smooth and rumble free!... Thank you - Doug
There's been no response and I apparently don't have rights yet to contact another member directly...So could someone ask DocDoug to share the info from his experience so that anyone with the same problem could go to the dealer with something they will believe?

Respectfully,
Doublesharp
DocDoug

Post by DocDoug »

Below is the TSB for the steering noise.

Doc Doug

http://www.empirepao.com/tsb/T-SB-0243-09.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doublesharp

Post by doublesharp »

Thank You!
I will visit my local dealer as soon as Christmas passes and see if they are willing to help.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

yes, thanks from me as well. It would be nice however, if someone could translate this into Vibe speak. The VIN numbers posted by Toyota don't seem to match our Vibe VINs. I already handed the Toyota TSB on the water pump to my service manager. I will bring him this one as well when I go in to have my actuator and timing chain replaced. Can anyone on these boards translate the VINs so we can determine if our Vibes fall within the affected range?
dayday

Post by dayday »

I addressed this issue with a friend of mine yesterday who is a region service tech for GM. We found that GM's catalogue does not show the updated shaft listed in Toyotas TSB. In his words, Toyota stopped support for GM after GM pulled out of Nummi. He said Vibe issues have become very challenging without support from Toyota.

Bottom line... It looks like if we want a fix, we're going to have to purchase the part from Toyota (part # 45260-02110) and pay for or do the repair ourselves.
'09 Vibe 2.4L 5sp
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Ouch. $175 plus labor... I think I'll live with the rattle considering it's not a failure issue.
Image  Image
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

My 2009 GT has recently developed a clunking noise under the dash when I go over bumps. Could it be this problem? Or does this steering noise only occur when turning? The TSB states "when turning the steering wheel to the left or right".
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Mine is over bumps. It's a bit worse when you're turning over bumps but it definitely happens without turning. And it's only at lower speeds (up to about 35mph or so).
Last edited by Rayven01 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image  Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

correct. you don't have to turn the wheel. It is the intermediate steering shaft, with the rattle most noticeable when you go over driveway aprons, or slowly over speed bumps or choppy roads.
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

Sounds like this is my problem. :( I have the noise while going slow, especially over smooth bumps like speed humps on my street. When I jiggle the wheel left and right while stopped, I can hear the noise although not as loud as when driving.

Now I have an excuse to get an intake. The intake noise will cover the steering noise. :lol:
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

I've had this issue since 2009 or 2010, it's been a long time and I've just lived with it. All this time I thought it was something with the dash hitting the windshield or something with the plastic covering around the wipers. I gave up trying to fix it. It wasn't until recently I read somewhere I think it was matrixowners that it was the steering column. It all makes sense now! Hopefully there's a fix but I've had it for so long it feels like it's part of the car's character now =/
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Can anyone say if this rattle or noise from the steeling column occurs when the car is standing still? ...but in drive or even in park? Or does it just occur only when in motion?
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

I've never heard it when the car isn't moving. The closest would be right when I start moving.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

ParknVibe wrote:Can anyone say if this rattle or noise from the steeling column occurs when the car is standing still? ...but in drive or even in park? Or does it just occur only when in motion?
i never got any noise when the car was standing still, but mine did have a lot of steering play in either direction (at least 1/2" each way) while not moving.
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Mine requires motion. Even when moving it usually only happens when I hit bumps or brake abruptly. No steering play moving or at rest.
Image  Image
DocDoug

Post by DocDoug »

When standing still, with the engine off, I could hear and feel the knock when I moved the wheel a few inches in each direction. (If you hear the noise, you will probably feel it too.) Reach under the dash and grab the steering shaft. If you feel the vibration on the shaft, thats your problem.

In defense of the above post that states the dealer believes it is the tie-rod ends.... it is the same symptoms BUT when you grab the shaft and feel / hear the knock... the mystery is over.
Caretaker

Re: 2009 Vibe Steering Rattle (PLEASE Update)

Post by Caretaker »

Can those of you who have had the intermediate steering shaft replaced, please report of the repair lasted, or has the noise returned. I took mine back in today and had the service writer play with the steering wheel until he heard the clunking noise. I have had it in to the dealer once before. Also, can anyone tell me if this repair is covered by engine/powertrain, or is it a bumper to bumper coverage item? Thanks.
DocDoug

Post by DocDoug »

Steering wheel rattle is a 3/36 warranty item. I had mine fixed at 36,000 miles and now have 63,000 miles. The sound and vibration never returned. The sound / vibration started at around 25,000, on my Vibe.
Th17kit

Post by Th17kit »

Has anyone tried the lubrication method of fixing this problem?
http://www.colinkraft.com/shaft.php
This page documents the removal and lubrication process for GM's design flaw that effects a lot of their cars.

Problem: Clunk Noise From Front Of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver/Steering Wheel Rotation

Solution: Lubrication. Do not replace the shaft.

Models: A lot including:

2001-2002 Buick Regal
2000-2002 Cadillac Seville
1997-2002 Chevrolet Cavalier
2000-2002 Chevrolet Impala
2000-2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001-2002 Oldsmobile Aurora
1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2000-2002 Pontiac Bonneville
2000-2002 Pontiac Sunfire
The dealer fixed my Monte Carlo once under warranty. That lasted about 20,000 miles and it started clunking again. Out of warranty now, I decided that since this has to be done so often, I would do it myself. This page is my documentation.

You can pay the dealer $100 to do this or you can do it yourself for a quarter.
I'd be interested in attempting this if anyone has had good luck with it.
2009 Vibe GT
Manual
K&N Typhoon
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Th17kit wrote:1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
My previous car was a 2001 Intrigue and it had that issue. Wish I'd known then it was that easy to fix! Anyway it was definitely different than the clunking on the Vibe. The Vibe clunk happens independently of you turning the wheel while the problem you linked the fix for happens as you turn.
Image  Image
johnjely

Post by johnjely »

Can forum posters confirm: This isn't JUST a noise, right? You are able to feel it as well?

I ask for clarification because I've been noticing a steering rattle. It started a couple of months ago, and only appeared at high speeds (50-60mph) or when I was breaking off of a high speed. It includes a wompwompwomp type of rattle and I can feel it in the steering wheel. Within the past month, month and half, it has gotten worse: it now rattles, womps, and physically shakes much more powerfully in the wheel and my seat at speeds as low as 35mph.

Does this resemble at all what you all are experiencing? May I ask how much replacing the steering column has ran you guys (just trying to get an idea of what I'm in for if this is the problem). And, just to make sure, is the steering rattle indicative of a deeper, mechanical issue that could kill my previous Vibe entirely if not addressed? Or is it a situation where, if I can live with the noise and the shaking, I should do just that?

Thank you all SO much.
J
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

I can feel it in the wheel a bit, but it's definitely not so bad that I feel it in the seat. I think you may be having a different issue, since it's happening at higher speeds. The defect rattle happens at lower speeds (<35mph), usually over bumps.
Image  Image
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Sorry if you've read this already.

I have had this rattle for about a year now on my 2010 base. Out of warranty of course. Noticed the recall yesterday on 1.5 million GM cars with power steering, steering columns issues. Many models included but not the Vibe despite so many Vibe owners reporting the same issues??
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

"Sorry if you've read this already.

I have had this rattle for about a year now on my 2010 base. Out of warranty of course. Noticed the recall yesterday on 1.5 million GM cars with power steering, steering columns issues. Many models included but not the Vibe despite so many Vibe owners reporting the same issues??"

The Vibe is NOT a GM car. Its a Toyota Matrix, built on a Corolla chassis, with a Pontiac sticker on it. Nothing applicable to a GM model is applicable to a Vibe.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

EDIT:
I do not know if the parts are the same, but chances are they are VERY related and supplied by the same company. Somebody with more knowledge can chime in or do some research.

As the article from Wardsauto quoted below implies, same company (JTEKT) supplies column mounted electronic steering systems for many vehicles to GM and Toyota and others. JTEKT, a spinoff and merger between a Toyota company and a Seiko company and still considered in the Toyota Group and probably majority owned by Toyota, is the leader in electronic power steering components, among other things.

If they are the same or are very related, this needs to be brought to the attention of GM.

I have not looked into the latest recall yet.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/jtekt_under_radar_090630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This is a good article.
........."JTEKT uses four U.S. plants to supply steering systems to Toyota’s North American-built Avalon, Camry, Sequoia, Sienna, Solara, Tacoma and Tundra, all hydraulic types; and the Corolla, Matrix, RAV4, Venza, Lexus RX 350 and Pontiac Vibe, all fitted with column-mounted EPS.

General Motors Corp. programs include the Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR and Equinox; Saturn Sky and Vue; and Pontiac Solstice and Torrent. In addition, JTEKT supplies the Suzuki XL7. Most are column EPS.".............

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/0 ... -steering/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/1 ... -supplier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.chevroletinthenews.com/chevr ... g-failure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.domain-b.com/companies/compa ... ering.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bing.com/search?q=JTEKT&qs=n ... 31fa6f418b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.jtekt-na.com/about.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting talk about the different type electronic steering systems in Corollas, etc:
http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/11 ... ng-eps/p29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTEKT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Group" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyo_Seiko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
dartyb

Post by dartyb »

Thanks to everyone that's posted info here. Can anyone confirm that the Toyota Matrix intermediate steering shaft is compatible in 09-10 Vibes?

We got out 2010 Vibe last week and at exactly 20000 miles ours started the tell-tale knocking/clunking so may others have described. I'd have it replaced in a heartbeat if I knew the repair would last. It sounds like the updated Toyota Matrix part is the best bet, rather than replacing with a potentially similar defective part from GM--if it's compatible.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

dartyb wrote:Thanks to everyone that's posted info here. Can anyone confirm that the Toyota Matrix intermediate steering shaft is compatible in 09-10 Vibes?

We got out 2010 Vibe last week and at exactly 20000 miles ours started the tell-tale knocking/clunking so may others have described. I'd have it replaced in a heartbeat if I knew the repair would last. It sounds like the updated Toyota Matrix part is the best bet, rather than replacing with a potentially similar defective part from GM--if it's compatible.
I also posted this in your "gas cap" topic but will also post it here:

If you undertake this rather involved task of changing out the steering column, make sure you have the latest IMPROVED designed part. Otherwise you're wasting your time. One member here, who happens to work at a dealership, changed out 3 or 4 columns before he got a good one. This was a couple years ago or so. I believe they are the identical part (your original question) but not 100% sure. My Vibe, like yours, has under 20k miles and still does not have this annoying condition. My son's Vibe had this from day one over THREE years ago when we bought it used @ 35k miles. It is annoying BUT not a serious driving threat ..... yet! He just lives with it for now. Do a lot of research before diving into this repair to make sure it WILL fix the problem.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
dartyb

Post by dartyb »

Thanks for your replies.

I am working with the Chevy dealer we got this car from to work out the intermediate steering shaft issue. Others online have had success getting GM to cover all or most of the repair cost, but a GM part is used in the replacement.

I compiled what info from this thread and elsewhere I could find (part number, Toyota TSB, etc) to hand the mechanics and tape to the steering wheel (joking) when I take it in. The advice on these boards is great. If someone can confirm the Toyota part #45260-02110 is identical to the Vibe part, that would solve the big question.
yellowtiger

Post by yellowtiger »

Anyone tried the Toyota 45260-02120? I'm thinking about the same.
dartyb

Post by dartyb »

The GM part number for the non-AWD intermediate steering shaft is 19183820 The AWD part is 19183821.

A mechanic I spoke to at a local Chevy dealer thought that GM had also updated the part, but he wasn't sure.
dartyb

Post by dartyb »

Just a follow up. The Toyota and GM part numbers I listed point to the same part in different boxes. That was confirmed with a local mechanic and a warehouse operator near Detroit.

Unfortunately, replacing the intermediate steering shaft didn't solve the noise, which was identical in symptoms to what DocDoug described. Not sure what else it could be. The mechanic ruled out the steering column.
dartyb

Post by dartyb »

On the several GM forums they discuss the same type of rattle, with the same symptom of it returning several thousand miles after the column is replaced.

On a truck forum, one user had some success by strapping a zip-tie around the point where the steering column connects to the intermediate steering shaft:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-spe ... p-tie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can feel mine clicking right at the similar point as I wiggle the steering wheel side to side. I'm wondering if something similar would help here? Any thoughts or suggestions? Even if it reduced 50% of the noise, I'd call that a victory.