cutting coils

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Nitr0

cutting coils

Post by Nitr0 »

has anyone had experience with cutting a coil or 2 off? I have heard of this backyard lowering option done before on civics and what not, the only thing I am worried about is ruining the stock shocks or making the ride COMPLETELY unbearable, alittle stiffer wouldnt bother me though, any thought?
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Check the for sale section - a set of H-Techs for sale that I think would lower your car a bit more than 1.5". Only $60 that's a great deal.Cutting the spring messes things up. I believe that is what is going on when you see some of those lowered cars bouncing and bouncing down the road.Bad idea. Do it right!
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
vibedrivermatt

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Yea, I agree with Kincaid 100%. Cutting the springs will not give you a stiffer springs but just the look of a lowered car with crappy handling performance. But even using aftermarket springs will still ruin your stock struts over time. I'm finding this out after owning TRD lowering springs with stock sturts for about a year. I need new struts.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Cutting coils seems like a bad idea. Lowering coils are cheap enough. In regards to lowering coils ruining your struts I find that interesting. In vibedrivermatt's case who's to say his struts weren't going bad anyway? No offense dude!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
vibedrivermatt

Re: (Salsa Guy)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Quote, originally posted by Salsa Guy »Cutting coils seems like a bad idea. Lowering coils are cheap enough. In regards to lowering coils ruining your struts I find that interesting. In vibedrivermatt's case who's to say his struts weren't going bad anyway? No offense dude!Oh no offence taken. I just know that aftermarket lowering springs will mess up OEM struts over a shorter period of time than original springs would over the same time.
Nitr0

Post by Nitr0 »

I would think they would ruin quicker because they would be under more pressure all the time
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

There maybe some truth to it. We'll see in my case but have over 100k miles on them already.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
DirtDevil

Post by DirtDevil »

for any physics buffs out there (like me) just remember F=.5*kx^2. If you want to know if it will work plug in the numbers. Basically its saying the more coils you cut of your original spring, the harder the spring rate becomes but too much can unbalance the spring rates and force distribution and can cause damage to the struts and towers. So if you are going to do it than do it right. Im not a fan of cutting coils cuz its hard to cut them equally and flat
Turner Buick GMC(717)354-4451 x122(484)639-1921I dare you to call me
jessep19

Re: cutting coils (Nitr0)

Post by jessep19 »

I did that mistake with my first car (golf 94). I cut off 2 coils on each side. Yes it lowered the car but the ride was not good at all. You will bounce around after almost every bump you will hit and the car will not handle the road very well. So like the others are saying, you're better of with a set of lowering springs