Mods to smooth out the ride on our 2005 Vibe AWD

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
SoPaRider

Mods to smooth out the ride on our 2005 Vibe AWD

Post by SoPaRider »

My wife and I are the original owners of a 2005 Vibe AWD that has 45,000 miles on it, other than replacing a blow seal in a transfer case, the car has given us no problems. We've always felt that the ride is a bit harsh on anything other than smooth pavement, heck my Chevy Silverado 4X4 rides better than it, even my dirt bike does and we've already read where others have replied to past posts, that the AWD Vibe is suppost to ride like a rigid framed Harley, we find that hard to believe! My wife uses it to commute 7 miles to work, five days a week, otherwise we use it for road trips. It has OEM aluminum? wheels with BF Goodrich Traction T/A 205/55R16 mud and snow tires on it, otherwise it's bone stock. We don't want to lower the car, we're just looking for mods (strutts, springs, wheels, tires, etc.) to help smooth out the ride a bit, any ideas?Thanks,SoPaRider and SoPaGuiderSouthcentral PA
Salsa Guy

Re: Mods to smooth out the ride on our 2005 Vibe AWD (SoPaRider)

Post by Salsa Guy »

Well it's a small car but I really find the ride pretty good before I lowered it. What air pressure are you running in the tires? Are the tires cupping? Have you balanced and rotated them recently? Mud and snow tires aren't well known for the ride quality. Perhaps that's the biggest problem.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

1) I would consult some local shops about what maker has the "cushiest" struts for that would work. Maybe Monroe?2) I understand that 15" wheels will not work on your Vibe (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) because of interference w/the brake calipers. So, you have to stick with 16" wheels. Because you are not lowered already, I bet you could easily get away with 225/60-16's. That would increase your sidewall height and give a cushier "bow" to the sidewall. If you can find something as far away from a performance tire as possible you might get a softer sidewall as well. Monkey around with the air pressure - high pressure, at least to me, seems to get that wheel farther from the pavement which seems to make for a softer ride.I think the biggest factor in the harshness of the feel is that short 55 aspect ratio. Tire makers, either to protect the rim from road damage, or because it is a "sporty tire", make the sidewalls much stiffer than they were in the past. Stiffness increases shock transmitted to your spine when driving.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
BlueCrush

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by BlueCrush »

I have 15" wheels on my 2005 AWD Vibe with winter tires and have no issues interfering with the calipers. It will help the ride a little. But the AWD's do have a stiffer oem ride than the FWD Vibes in general. Switching out to softer shocks won't help much if softer ones are even available. The OEMs are pretty soft already.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Whoops my bad. Okay then, I'd recommend going to a 205/65-15 or 215/65-15 wheel/tire. The first is only 2.44% larger overall and the second is 4.35% larger overall compared to your stock tires.You can use this website to see how much taller the sidewall gets (almost a full inch!).http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
vit

Post by vit »

You won't notice any difference going 1" smaller on your wheels. Not worth the money. It's mostly in the suspension. I run 18's in summer and 16's with snow tires on my GT- not much difference.
ParknVibe

Re: Mods to smooth out the ride on our 2005 Vibe AWD (SoPaRider)

Post by ParknVibe »

[. We don't want to lower the car, we're just looking for mods (strutts, springs, wheels, tires, etc.) to help smooth out the ride a bit, any ideas?Thanks,SoPaRider and SoPaGuiderSouthcentral PA [/QUOTE]You should look at Monroe's new "OESpectrum" struts and shocks. I am sure they have a set for 2003-2008 Vibes and Matrix's. They are designed to give a less harsh ride when riding over rough surfaces at slower speeds then the orginal struts and still provide a sports ride. I am waiting for the 2009-2010 struts to become available.http://www.monroe.com/products/OESpectrumCachedMonroe® OESpectrum® shock and struts are engineered specifically for ... Monroe: The #1 Manufacturer of Shock Absorbers and other Ride Control Products. ...Quote from Monroe:""PRECISION-TUNED FOR FOREIGN NAMEPLATE APPLICATIONS The Monroe® OESpectrum® struts are engineered specifically for foreign nameplate vehicles and feature the latest global original equipment valving technologies. Developed through years of research and on-vehicle testing, Monroe OESpectrum units provide an unprecedented level of handling precision and control while filtering out the ride harshness commonly encountered on many foreign nameplate applications. This unique blend of control and comfort is made possible through Tenneco's "Twin Technology Active Control System", an exclusive internal damping control technology first developed for leading global vehicle manufacturers. Tenneco's Twin Technology consists of its latest Impact Control Valve (ICV), which delivers exceptional control under virtually all driving conditions, and a patented Low Speed Tunability (LST) piston design that isolates impact-related noise, vibration and harshness""
Sliverado Desperado

Re: Mods to smooth out the ride on our 2005 Vibe AWD

Post by Sliverado Desperado »

Just this month for this very reason I put on new wheels and tires in 15 inch - Bought the MB Viper wheels and Michelin Defender tires in 205-65-15 from Discount Tire.

It rides GREAT! Finally no more choppiness and no more harsh jolts driving over bumps! Love the ride, wish I had done it sooner!!!

By the way, I doubt a 215-65-15 will work as I noticed the 205's fit well when the steering wheel is turned fully in either direction, whereas a 215 would likely rub under full compression of the suspension.