Warped rotor caused by new wheel bearing?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
AZViking

Warped rotor caused by new wheel bearing?

Post by AZViking »

Back in 08, the front left wheel bearing was replaced on our 03 Vibe (at a Pontiac dealer, still under our extended warranty). Fast forward to Spring 09, when I'm told my front rotors are warped after noticing wheel shake when I was slowing down on the interstate. Fast forward, again to 2010, and I'm told my front rotors are warped, again. I only drive the car to and from work (less than 100 miles a week), so I couldn't believe the rotors could warp that quickly.Unfortunately, I started to notice the symptoms of brake problems again this summer. I decided to take the car to a different brake place (recommended by a co-worker) and was told, again that my rotors were warped. This time, however, they recommended turning the rotors on the car as an alternative to replacing them. He felt that turning them on the car would make them balanced to the car, rather than turning them on a machine and then putting them back on the car.Here's where I wonder if the new wheel bearing had anything to do with this... He said that the left rotor had the most damage out of the two. (before I told him the bearing had been replaced).
2015 Kia Sorento 32,000 miles, 2010 Kia Sportage LX, 68,000 miles
10vibe

Re: Warped rotor caused by new wheel bearing? (AZViking)

Post by 10vibe »

I sometimes wonder if warped rotors are caused more by the monkey that air ratchets the lug nuts on as tight as he can, instead of using a torque wrench and ensuring that all lug nuts are on at the recommended torque number, using a cross pattern to incrementally tighten. Anybody that has had snapped lug nut studs and other related problems knows what I am talking about. It is sad when we do not even trust having tires balanced and rotated anymore.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Very possible. I am certain I screwed up the rotors on my Civic when I changed the front brake pads.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
djkeev

Re: Warped rotor caused by new wheel bearing? (AZViking)

Post by djkeev »

Short answer..... NO, a front wheel bearing will NOT warp a brake rotor.As suggested, bad mechanical processes can stress a rotor and warp them.Also are they replacing your "quality" Japanese Rotors with the cheapest off the boat unit from China that can be purchased??Turn the rotors? That is SO yesterday!! Why?? To make cars as light as possible (to achieve MPG's) they have engineered almost every component of the car to be as light as possible when new. This includes putting extra "beef" on a brake rotor for possible future use. The units quite frankly are trash when they are warped.Don't waste your money turning rotors, even though it will be better for a short while, they will warp even more quickly now that there is less metal to disperse heat.This time, purchase a quality USA made, German made, or Toyota replacement part and have it installed. It will cost 2 - 3 times what you paid for your Chinese Junk units. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO INSTALL WHEELS WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It does no good for anything EXCEPT the technicians time sheet!!Have them use a TORQUE wrench set to the proper value and HAND TIGHTEN each and every wheel bolt!Now, who do you drive? where do you live? Is it mountainous? Do you race up to stop signs and traffic lights and jam on the brakes all but skidding to a stop at the last possible moment? This driving behaviour = over heated components which = warped rotors and burned pads, maybe even bad wheel bearings if the area gets hot enough.Good luck!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)