Squealing Front brakes at medium pressure

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
SCG Iccy

Squealing Front brakes at medium pressure

Post by SCG Iccy »

This is my first post here, but I've been checking these forums for over a year now for little things to fix that have been bugging me about my car here and there, and I must say I love it! Also, I apologize if this has been addressed in another thread, But I didn't see such a topic title.Problem occurs in a 2003 Vibe not a GT - front discs rear drums.Lately I have been consistently getting a quiet uniform tone squeal at a very specific brake pressure, not light or heavy braking, but somewhere in "medium" from my front brakes - or at least I think the front brakes. My old man's mechanic friend said - and I'm paraphrasing from 2-month old memory here - "It could be that the rear drum brakes aren't engaging before the front calipers, and you may need the rear drum adjusted to fix it."I am not worried that my brakes will suddenly fall off and cause my car and myself to sail towards a fiery spectacular death - they seem to work fine - it's just that the squeal that consistent at all speeds and temperatures can't possibly be normal, or I think even an overheating problem, and I want to look into the cause, and fix it. the pedal does not wobble, vibrate, pulse, etc. , nor does the wheel jerk about, although I do think I need an alignment.So my questions are these - Are there any sort of usual suspects for this problem, and if so what are the odds it is something as simple as replacing the front rotors and pads, or even better just needing a little stop squeak goo on the pads? What does a rear drum adjustment entail, and how much should I expect it to cost if that is the culprit, and/or is it possible to perform safely on my own driveway?Any supplemental information and pictures you require for diagnosis can be furnished on a week's notice if it needs a driveway. I live in an apartment/condo complex where I'm not really allowed to do anything more involved than changing an air filter, and even then the managers get their panties in a bunch. I may be able to get away with scissor jacking the front end up and snapping a pic of a wheel hub here, but I've never seen anyone get away with jacks here without drawing needlessly irritated looks from the natives.