rear brakes squeakin

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Nitr0

rear brakes squeakin

Post by Nitr0 »

now I know what your thinkin, they need replaced, I have checked them and they are good still even though I am replacin them in the near future, but my rear brakes squeal like metal on metal since I got the car at 27k on the odo, it now has about 55k, they squeal the same as they ever did, no matter how much i clean them with parts cleaner, there is no grit, no wear marks on any of the metal parts and the drums are shiny and smooth, could it just be crappy pads causing the squeal? also its worse when they are cold but still squeaks when stoppin hard after goin all day, the car does have ABSthanks all,Nick
bassplayaz06

Re: rear brakes squeakin (Nitr0)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

mine are the exact same way... new pads, rotors, still squealin... something about the amount of metal and the frequency of vibration created? that's what i read online.
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

With my factory pads I had the opposite problem. Both the front and back pads were shot, but no squealing at all. Ever. On the new set that I had put on at Sear's, the rear's squeal like crazy going in reverse; there is light squealing when almost completely stopped.
Nitr0

Post by Nitr0 »

would a better quality non metallic pad reduce this I wonder?
ehoff121

Re: rear brakes squeakin (Nitr0)

Post by ehoff121 »

Assuming you have disc brakes in the rear and the pads were not replaced incorrectly, you might try applying brake grease to the back of the pads where they contact the caliper.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Nitr0

Re: rear brakes squeakin (ehoff121)

Post by Nitr0 »

they are drums in the rear
Nitr0

Post by Nitr0 »

anyone else not have this problem? if you dont did you buy better quality brakes? like non metallic or something similar, I just dont want to pay extra for good pads and it doesnt do anything
jkm311

Re: (Nitr0)

Post by jkm311 »

I actually have a weird twist on this. My drum brakes themselves don't squeak, just the moving parts inside the drum. Every time I step on my brakes a hear this tiny squeak from the left rear (I think it's just one and not both), and it's more pronounced on dry, warm days. I need to get under there and find out what's not sliding/moving cleanly because it sure is annoying.
Steelies to the rescue.
Pauldog

Re: (jkm311) Rear Brake Squeak

Post by Pauldog »

I have this problem, too, but I don't know if it's one side or both sides. It's definitely coming from the rear brakes and not happening inside the passenger compartment. Whether the car is sitting still or moving, I get a single short squeak when I press on the brake pedal and again when I release it. Same squeak with the hand brake. I just got the car (2005, 140,000 miles, base model, with ABS). It seems to have the original shoes. My mechanic says that the shoes seem only about half worn, so I'll probably never need to replace them. He thinks that the amount of work needed to fix the squeak is almost as much as a rear brake job.I'm hoping that someone has found a simple fix, or that there's a Pontiac or Toyota service bulletin on it. I searched here for older posts, but didn't find much.It's annoying. I could live with it, I suppose, but I'd much rather not. I don't want to spend much money fixing it. We also have a 2005 Corolla, bought new, with about 85,000 miles and all original brakes (no ABS), and never had any problem with brakes.
Pauldog

Re: (jkm311) Rear Brake Squeak (Pauldog)

Post by Pauldog »

I just found this:http://matrixowners.com/index....queak/ ... ueak/There are 6 lubrication points on the backing plate of the drum. Another possibility is squeaky springs.Are springs more likely to be the cause if the squeak happens even when the car isn't moving?
Platinum76

Post by Platinum76 »

yeah I too get the chirping on the rear shoes... its the metal on the shoe rubbing the backing plate... my remedy... a good high temp grease or some anti seize. Also... as far as pads... Never buy auto zone pads especially the golds... they suck !!! Aki bono are by far the best brake pads on the market. I got almost 45k on my front pads... only half worn... def worth the 60 bucks