Shudder over bumps

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
HMPower

Shudder over bumps

Post by HMPower »

I have a recent issue that seems to have suddenly developed. When driving, I can feel a shuddering sensation through the steering wheel when going over minor bumps/cracks in the road. Where normally I might hear them but not feel them, I now get a vibration and shudder - it's hard to describe, but the sensation is like a heavy mass jostling about. The shocks/struts seem fine, and the car runs normally, so I don't think it's a motor mount. I had a friend follow me on the freeway and he didn't notice anything odd. Could this be something like a bad ball joint? It seems premature at only 70k miles. But something is definitely amiss. Any ideas?
2005 Neptune Blue FWDMoon & TunesPower Pkg.
Caretaker

Re: Shudder over bumps (HMPower)

Post by Caretaker »

I'm guessing it is the steering column/rack, even though your car is the first generation model. The topic on the current model is covered in several threads just below this one. Check out those postings.
HMPower

Post by HMPower »

Thanks, I'm taking it to my mechanic in the morning to have it checked out. I'm hoping it's just something that worked itself loose, not a bad steering rack...eek.
HMPower

Post by HMPower »

It turns out the issue was a bad front strut. Oil came pouring out of it as soon as they put it on the lift.