Advice, info from those of you who are lowered

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
CAMOGIRL

Advice, info from those of you who are lowered

Post by CAMOGIRL »

OK, I have done some searching and all I am coming up with is little bits and pieces. I'm most likely going to get some lowering springs this summer before school starts, I'll probably go with Tein because they seem to have a good rep and are in my price range. I like the Canuck ones because they are red, lol. I am looking to figure out how to achieve the look I want, and ask a few questions. Those of you who are lowered, can you chime in here with what you're rolling and post a pic? I'm looking to get a visual, as well as your input on how appropriate you feel your level of drop is. I can adjust the way I drive around town a bit, but I don't want to be dragging belly everywhere either. Tightness of the ride would be a good thought to include too. I'm not particularly worried about smoothness in the ride as I know I'll be giving some of that up.I have visited some garages but I don't know for sure who all have lowered cars. THANKS!!!
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
03VibeOttawa

Re: Advice, info from those of you who are lowered (CAMOGIRL)

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

Hey CG!I love my Tein S springs. The drop was a little more than specified..a little over 2.5" all around. There's a couple of pics at the bottom of my garage page in my sig. For me, it's the perfect sporty ride, with just the right progressive spring rate; nice and tight in a hard turn, yet still smooth enough on the highway or around town when they aren't pushed hard. Unless you have some wheels with big openings, or spend a lot of time looking under your back bumper, I don't think you'll really notice the color of your springs.
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
CAMOGIRL

Re: Advice, info from those of you who are lowered (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Thanks! Yeah, I know nobody else will know, but I'll know lol. The S-techs are what I am really thinking about. Just a tidbit skittish about the ride height. You don't have any bellying out? How about maneuvering through dips in the street?
03VibeOttawa

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

Quote, originally posted by CAMOGIRL » You don't have any bellying out? How about maneuvering through dips in the street?I only bottom out in road construction when the pavement drops more than 6-8" (hasn't happened in a couple of years). The Vibe starts out really high to begin with, so dropping it 2-3 inches doesn't really make it much lower than most cars out there. From what I've read on here, I can't recall anyone having clearance issues unless they put a body kit on.
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I've done my own little research into heights and such. Basically, the Tein S-Techs give a 2.5 inch drop, the Tein H-techs give a 1.5 inch drop, and the Canuck springs give a 1.75 inch drop, which is what would be good for me, given my current snow situation. All for about the same price, too.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I love my H-Techs. 1.5" drop and smooth ride (doesn't shake your fillings out). I do scrape my front bumper every time I back out of the driveway.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

If anything, I would lift it possible...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Kamikaze

Re: Advice, info from those of you who are lowered (ou.grizzly)

Post by Kamikaze »

If I were going with Tein, the S-Techs are probably too much of a drop for what you are looking for... I would go H-Techs. overall, they are probably going to work best for what you want to achieve.I would suggest Canucks, if you can get a better price than the Teins (that's what I have) but I had AWD ones that I had to modify in order to achieve a equal drop front and rear. check out my garage to see pics of my vibe on the canucks.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
CAMOGIRL

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »I love my H-Techs. 1.5" drop and smooth ride (doesn't shake your fillings out). I do scrape my front bumper every time I back out of the driveway. I hadn't though about that. We have a pretty steep driveway but it grduates out at the bottom, I think ill have hubby watch as I back out and stop me at the nearest point to measure...So maybe Canucks offer me the best middle ground then.. Hmm. Thanks for all the input guys!
vibedrivermatt

Re: (CAMOGIRL)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Hey, Ive found when driving on small steep slopes or going through entryways through sidewalks and such, you can do a maneuver where you kinda drive over it in a diagonal path so that only one wheel goes over the steep part at a time. Doing that usually prevents the car from bottoming out. Good luck with whatever springs you end up getting!
CAMOGIRL

Re: (vibedrivermatt)

Post by CAMOGIRL »

I'm thinking that's how I'll have to approach the driveway. And that will make hubby happy, he will get the "good" spot back lol. I'm still undecided, I think I'm hanging out waiting to see if I find a deal on one or the other, make the decision for me.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Alright...here's the million dollar question:Do I *NEED* different shocks/struts if I go with the S-Techs? It's what I really want, but not going to be able to afford the whole kit-and-caboodle this summer. I can afford one small project. Can I ride S-Techs on stock strut/shock combo til next summer? Help!?
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Yes you can. In fact I have emailed Tein about that myself.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Well, I think that makes up my mind then THANKS!!