Hit a curb in the rain, something broken on suspension please help!

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
jscherf92

Hit a curb in the rain, something broken on suspension please help!

Post by jscherf92 »

Hey guys i know this is going to make me sound horrible but i really just want to figure out what could be wrong so i can get it fixed.Recap, I got off work and we were in the middle of a bad rain storm, on my way home i lost control on a turn in my neighborhood and slid into a curb with my front drivers side wheel. There was a pretty loud noise but nothing specific, the rim looks pretty scuffed up on one side and im going to take a better look tomorrow morning when its light out. After a very slow test drive the car pulls to the right and the steering is very unresponsive, however, power steering is still working. the wheel has to be about 30 degrees to the left to straighten out when driving and under braking the steering skips around and continues to pull to the right. like I said ill take a better look in the morning and try to figure it out before i go to pay a mechanic to take a look. Its drivable but it needs to get fixed asap.If you have any thoughts or ideas, things i should take a good close look at tomorrow, anything. Ill post back in the morning but i would really appreciate any help.
JSCHERF92's 2005 Abyss Tein H.Tech SpringsBadge-less exterior w/tinted tails and 20% windowsSony/Alpine aftermarket sound systemRed LED interior/headlight/grill/underbody lights
djkeev

Re: Hit a curb in the rain, something broken on suspension please help! (jscherf92)

Post by djkeev »

OUCH!!!Sorry for your mishap!!To be honest, the best scenario is that you knocked the front end alignment out of adjustment and after a quick adjustment, all will be well. Sadly the odds of this being true is very slim.Several things have happened, any one or most likely a combination of several have happened.You Bent your WheelYou caused a belt in your tire to "slip" causing steering and driving issues.You bent the front hubYou bent the front lower "A" frame (lower control arm)You bent a steering box rodYou bent the sway barYou bent a tie rodYou broke your steering box internally from the impactIf you don't know cars and front ends, take it to a reputable shop that DOES and get it checked out. Steering and suspension is too important to guess at and drive in an unsafe manner.My guess is a bent wheel, a screwed up tire and a bent control arm. Replace the bad parts and realign and all should be well.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
jscherf92

Re: Hit a curb in the rain, something broken on suspension please help! (djkeev)

Post by jscherf92 »

thanks for the quick reply, i know its a bad situation and im probably going to take it to discount tire or a local shop we usually go to and get it checked out in the morning.
JSCHERF92's 2005 Abyss Tein H.Tech SpringsBadge-less exterior w/tinted tails and 20% windowsSony/Alpine aftermarket sound systemRed LED interior/headlight/grill/underbody lights
jake75

Re: Hit a curb in the rain, something broken on suspension please help! (jscherf92)

Post by jake75 »

Many years ago this happened to my teenage son due to ice on the street - in Columbus, OH we rarely get snow plowed on neighborhood streets so in some winters we end up with a sheet if ice. Damage to front end suspension was considerable - point of this post is that it is covered by your insurance. I didn't know that at the time and paid the entire bill myself.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jayman2009

Post by jayman2009 »

Most likly rim or tie rod end. see it every day at my work
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I did this a few years ago in my Civic on snow. I only felt a bit of a shimmy at higher speeds. Sometimes the wheel felt like it was pulling or drifting to one side, other times it seemed to be fine.Turned out I had shoved the entire front subframe back about two inches on one side. Entire cost to me was under $800, including preplacing a bent steel wheel.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
jscherf92

Post by jscherf92 »

Well it was a very bent lower control arm and a slightly bent ball joint. I got an estimate over $1,000 so after spending $180 at advance auto ill be replacing those today. Thanks for everyones suggestions with this, im glad it wasnt something worse...
djkeev

Re: (jscherf92)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by jscherf92 »Well it was a very bent lower control arm and a slightly bent ball joint. I got an estimate over $1,000 so after spending $180 at advance auto ill be replacing those today. Thanks for everyones suggestions with this, im glad it wasnt something worse...Good! When you are done replacing those bent parts a wheel alignment will be a must do!! Don't think you don't need it, you will.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
jkm311

Re: (djkeev)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »Good! When you are done replacing those bent parts a wheel alignment will be a must do!!If it's not too late, I'd ask them to do it for you after all work is completed. Free of charge. Their tab is being paid, they shouldn't have an issue.Glad it wasn't serious.
Steelies to the rescue.
jscherf92

Post by jscherf92 »

Yeah all of the shaking and sticking has since been eliminated but i definitely need an alignment soon. Thanks for all the support as usual guys