KYB GR-2, Tokico HP or STAGG SHS struts/shocks?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
ecarlsen

KYB GR-2, Tokico HP or STAGG SHS struts/shocks?

Post by ecarlsen »

I'm what I refer to as a "passive car modifier". When something wears out, I replace it with something better. I have 107k miles on my '05 Vibe GT. I can now hear the stock struts/shocks making noise - they're not working that smoothly anymore. Time to replace them. I've been looking at my options on eBay and there seems to be three aftermarket "high performance" shocks struts offered, which I've listed above.There is a price difference - the KYB's and the Tokico's go for a little over $300 for all four. The STAGG's are $200 for the same. Are the higher priced ones worth the extra $100? If so, which do you recommend, KYBs or the Tokico's?Yes, I see there are Monroe's available, but I view them as basically the same as stock.FYI, for the $30 it'll cost me, I'm also planning on adding a front strut tower bar to support the new struts and shocks.Please let me know your opinion and experience with the above.Thanks!!
keithvibe

Re: KYB GR-2, Tokico HP or STAGG SHS struts/shocks? (ecarlsen)

Post by keithvibe »

lowered? What type of driver do you consider yourself?if not lowered and you are not a spirited driver, then stick with OEM... No real reason to upgrade when it's really not needed.I would call Never Enough Auto and ask them what they can do. They do sell them on ebay but usually at a higher rate because of the ebay fees.So go to http://www.neverenoughauto.com and get their phone number and give them a call and talk to them.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
boomermsu

Re: KYB GR-2, Tokico HP or STAGG SHS struts/shocks? (keithvibe)

Post by boomermsu »

I have no experience with the STAGG products but I have always had great luck with the Tokico HP struts. I hate KYB (OEM). I would put Monroe on before I replaced with KYB again. But like stated before. Really depends on what you are looking to do with it. But can't go wrong with the Tokico in my opinion. I believe they are lifetime warranty as well as long as you don't modify them in any way.
Kevin - 2003 Frosty White Vibe (266,000 miles and counting) - 18'S/Tint/Hitch
Michigan State University Racing Club Forums - Co-founder and ex-president
ecarlsen

Re: KYB GR-2, Tokico HP or STAGG SHS struts/shocks? (boomermsu)

Post by ecarlsen »

Thanks Keith. I checked out their website and all they list at this time for a 2005 Vibe are lowering springs. I do consider myself a fairly aggressive driver - so do the cops who have hung 4 tickets on me in the last year. :-(That said, I'm not that convinced about lowering my Vibe as I'm reading complaints about the ride being too firm/harsh. However, the pictures I've seen of Vibes lowered 1 1/2" look awesome, so I'll ponder it some more. Another response tells me to stay away from KYB, so they're now taking on water in my decision process.Thanks again for the input.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I've only had experience (very good) with Tokico Illumina shocks. One step up from HPs - I think the difference is that HPs are not adjustable.Anyway, wow, I forgot how expensive they were.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by ecarlsen » I checked out their website and all they list at this time for a 2005 Vibe are lowering springs. Again, call them. They don't have everything listed. You can also check under toyota matrix 03-08
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

KYB is the closest you'll get to OEM. They may even make the factory stuff if I remember correctly. I used them on my last car, 01 corolla, and they gave me a nice firm ride, just what i imagine it felt like new.Never used the others but Monroe is supposed to give you a softer, floatier ride. And I've heard nothing but good things about Tokico but I was under the impression they're only a benefit if you're lowered?
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)