Hotchkis rear sway bar

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
chevelle_lover

Hotchkis rear sway bar

Post by chevelle_lover »

I recently put on a Hotchkis rear sway bar on and I find that I am continuously having to re-torque the bolts holding it in place. I torqued the bolts to 144 ft/lbs and used Lock-tite blue.Am I missing something?I know a baboon could tighten two bolts but should I have replaced them?
If God didn’t want us to eat meat, why did he make the cow so slow? (Ever eaten a cheetah-burger? Nope. And you never will.)
06pvibe

Re: Hotchkis rear sway bar (chevelle_lover)

Post by 06pvibe »

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploa...e.pdf150 is the spec and they do recommend blue Loc-Tite, but if you don't trust that, use the red, and/or replace the hardware using grade 8 spec w/locking nuts.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
chevelle_lover

Post by chevelle_lover »

I used the specs off of the Haynes manual but I will give that a shot. I also bought new hardware just in case.
If God didn’t want us to eat meat, why did he make the cow so slow? (Ever eaten a cheetah-burger? Nope. And you never will.)
06pvibe

Re: Hotchkis rear sway bar (ndrewoods)

Post by 06pvibe »

He installed a REAR sway bar. On the Vibe/Matrix/Corrolla they do not have end links. Plus we've already established that the torque spec is between 144-150ft.lbs.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
chevelle_lover

Post by chevelle_lover »

yep re torqued the sway bar again and nothing changed after looking at it the damn welds let go on the Hotchkis one. I put the stocker on for now.
mac99d

Re: (chevelle_lover)

Post by mac99d »

I had the same prob pull them out put red lock tight on them no problems agin. oh and i tightend the $^#$ out of them lol
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sliverado Desperado

Re: Hotchkis rear sway bar

Post by Sliverado Desperado »

3 questions please:

1. Does it make a huge difference in cornering with the bigger rear sway bar? ...or just a little better?

2. Did it make the ride quality a tad more harsh or stiffer in everyday driving?

3. Where to purchase any brand rear sway bar at the best price?

Thanks
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

Sliverado Desperado wrote:3 questions please:

1. Does it make a huge difference in cornering with the bigger rear sway bar? ...or just a little better?

2. Did it make the ride quality a tad more harsh or stiffer in everyday driving?

3. Where to purchase any brand rear sway bar at the best price?

Thanks
I'm going to bump this up because you never got an answer. I cannot say for just the rear bar. I installed the TRD kit for the '03-'08 Matrix/Corolla and this was both the front and rear bars. Supposedly made by Hotchkiss but not available thru them any longer. The car stays glued to the road, it will take corners way faster than I care to try.

It was a noticeable difference with both bars replaced. Ride quality is not affected by sway bars in any car. Be prepared to spend big bucks for the TRD bars and lots of work to replace the front. I did a thread on the whole thing.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38341

Never had the rear bar come loose, used blue locktite (the new gel type) and torqued to 150 lb/ft. about 15K miles now and it is still tight, I check it every oil change since first reading this thread.

Charles
DVibe

Post by DVibe »

I have the Hotchkis bars in the front and back. I put on the back first and noticed a significant difference. When I got around to installing the front I did not notice a big difference. I installed them last summer, and now I am hearing a clunkish sound (I pretty sure its the rear bar) when go over bumps, especially this one pot hole in my alley. I used locktite.... but does noise mean its coming loose? The bolts still seem really tight. Any ideas?

As for the ride quality....its awesome on smooth roads, it feels nice and planted, and it make corners a lot of fun. The ride quality sucks on uneven or beat up roads (like my alley) and it gets obnoxious.. lol.

Hotchkis was selling both bars on ebay last summer. I am pretty sure they went fast and I think I got lucky, they only had 3 more when i bought my set. They were close to $230.95 for the pair plus $14 for shipping.
Last edited by DVibe on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roll with soul.
DVibe's Garage
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Yes that sound is they are coming loose use red and re-tighten.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DVibe

Post by DVibe »

mac99d wrote:Yes that sound is they are coming loose use red and re-tighten.
sounds good, Thanks!
Roll with soul.
DVibe's Garage
09SnowyVibe

Post by 09SnowyVibe »

He installed a REAR sway bar. On the Vibe/Matrix/Corrolla they do not have end links.
The AWD ones do. :D

Is there a bar avalible for the AWD models? What about polyurethane bushings?
2009 Vibe AWD
2001 Sunfire GTX
1993 Buick Park Ave
1984 Chevrolet Citation
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I used Red locktite on my bar when it was installed @7620 miles, and tightened to 150fl/lbs. Now at 140,000 miles it's never needed retighteng.

I found the car was easier to turn in and rotate with otherwise stock suspension.
09SnowyVibe wrote:
He installed a REAR sway bar. On the Vibe/Matrix/Corrolla they do not have end links.
The AWD ones do. :D

Is there a bar avalible for the AWD models? What about polyurethane bushings?
The 03-08 AWD's share the rear suspension with the 00-05 Celica ;)
Not sure about the 09-10's.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
09SnowyVibe

Post by 09SnowyVibe »

That's interesting to know.. :)

Haven't noticed any difference in the suspension on the newer ones though.
2009 Vibe AWD
2001 Sunfire GTX
1993 Buick Park Ave
1984 Chevrolet Citation
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

TRD makes a rear sway bar for the 2009-2010 Vibe/2009+ Matrix, but it will not fit the 2009-2010 Vibe GT or AWD because they both have IRS (Independent Rear Suspension), whereas the Base models do not.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jim94

Post by jim94 »

I had TRD sway bars on my 2003 matrix and the rear bar made lots of creaking because I didn't have it tigh enough. 140 foot pounds did it. No lock tight
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Old thread, Jim, but since we're on it... haha

I installed a Progress rear anti sway. Creaked hard first good turn and then never again. Never needed retorquing, never needed new bolts - used the stockers, never needed in lock-tite of any kind. Not that it matters since everyone seems to have a different xp. Oh, and I used whatever torque the Toyota Matrix manual suggested. I do not recall offhand.

Anti sway bar made quite a difference in handling. When I installed mine, I only had Tokico blues and front strut tower bar.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage