New struts need help!

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Guitarheroal

New struts need help!

Post by Guitarheroal »

Hello suspension gurus,I am guessing that this subject has been probably beaten to death, so i've tried to do all the research, and have very specific questions. I have a 2004 vibe gt and took my car to a mechanic and they said i needed new struts and strut mounts in both the front for over 900+ tax. Only the front passenger side strut and strut mount is in need of repairing, but they said that if one is replaced, both should be replaced. i was wondering if that was true? I am leaning more towards replacing both, but just wanted to confirm with everyone else. I decided to replace it myself with oem KYBs GR-2s. I dont plan on lowering the car or anything, so stock replacements should be fine. I've been shopping around looking for the best prices. The best price i can find is from amazon.com. The two parts i am looking at are part number KYB-235704 and 235703. However, when shopping on amazon, it says that the strut doesnt fit my vehicle, only the base model. The part number matches all the other websites that i've been shopping around at. So i am wondering if these struts are the right one for my car? Here are the links for the twohttp://www.amazon.com/KYB-2357...d=005http://w ... .chartAlso, here is the link for the strut mount, which i will be buying two of:http://www.amazon.com/KYB-SM52...d=006I just wanted to confirm that these are all the right parts, and to ask if i should replace anything else while i am replacing the struts and strut mounts? thanks!
vibedrivermatt

Re: New struts need help! (Guitarheroal)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

edit comment revove
Cruxless

Post by Cruxless »

Yes, the part numbers you have for the strut mounts and struts are correct. Aside from installing new mounts and struts the only thing else you might need is new dust boots, that's only if the ones you currently have are torn. All other parts can be reused if not damaged.
Guitarheroal

Post by Guitarheroal »

thanks for the responses! are dust seals and dust boots the same thing? Sorry i am still fairly new to car suspension.
vibedrivermatt

Re: (Guitarheroal)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

edit comment remvoe
Guitarheroal

Re: (vibedrivermatt)

Post by Guitarheroal »

Quote, originally posted by vibedrivermatt »Well the dust seal is just a small foam circle thing. If you click the link on that toyota site and go to -front suspension-struts and components-seal- and then click view illustration you'll see where it goes. It's no. 8It is different from a strut bellow/boot (black rubber thing that goes over the strut piston) Although I'm not lying about anything and don't know whats up with cruxless and his silly picture. Maybe what he is meaning to say is that it is not that important of a part so replacing it is not that big an issue which is true. Its only a 5 dollar part, so i might as well change it. Do you know if its the same thing as the strut mount bushing? That was the only thing that i could find on rockauto that looked close to what it is. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php it is part number SM 5382. Also, is this the right part for the strut bellow/boot? http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...&i=25 the part number is the same as the one on rockauto. Its just weird that amazon says that all these part wont fit my vibe. hopefully as long as its the same part number, it will fit. I dont want to order the wrong thing...thanks again for all your help
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

edit comment remove
Guitarheroal

Re: (vibedrivermatt)

Post by Guitarheroal »

Quote, originally posted by vibedrivermatt »well I'm not sure which part your speaking of when you say "strut mount bushing" but I'm pretty sure you wont be needing one if you get those struts and strut mounts from your first post. The dust seal is different from this and is not a bushing. You could replace the strut bellow as well but that may be overkill if there nothing wrong with you originals. Also I think this time you found the wrong PN# for the strut bellow as that doesnt match up or look like any of the ones on rockauto. But hey, if you really wanna get new bellows might as well get the ones that come with new foam bumpers as well. Your car is an 04 after all so they could be pretty worn. but I'll warn when I say this because im partially going into territory of not knowing what Im talking about.also the only reason I mentioned the dust seal and top nuts is because at one time did a lowering spring install job. The directions that came with my lowering springs advised me to replace the strut top nuts as well as dust seals. While the dust seals may not be that important, the top nuts are. They should be replaced every time you do a strut job. I've seen this in other car forums as well. so basically things you need to do a struts job in your case are- new struts- new mounts- top nuts (which come your struts already) and dust seals (personal preference) the only thing about getting those seals from that toyota site is the shipping. They really try to stick it to ya with the pricing there. If it were me Id look at an alternative just so I wouldnt have to get stuck with shipping costs. yeah, i'm not sure what the strut mount bushing is either. I just looked at rockauto and tried to look for something that looked similiar to the dust seal. But most likely, i will print out that picture from the toyota website and bring it to napa or something. as for the boot/bellow, on rock auto, it has the strut bellow front left/front right listed as kyb part SB102. The amazon one lists the same part number, but the picture def looks different. Hopefully they just posted a general picture or something.I just want to make sure i replace everything right the first time. I dont want to get in there, and realize that something is broken/needs to be replaced and have to get back in there again. I dont really mind paying an extra 40 or so for all the replacement parts. So i will def look into the dust seal, and if i find the correct bellow, then i'll buy that too.
stoutvibe

Post by stoutvibe »

Well, I decided to replace my struts also - the front dust boots are shot and noticed poor handling over rough roads (108,000 mi).I purchased KYB GR2's and ran into the same issue with the bellows. Basically, the part I need is #7 in the illustration below. This basically acts as a dust boot and cushion between the spring platehttp://www.trademotion.com/par...gid=0But, the KYB strut bellows recommended SB102 does not look the same, or offer the same function. What have others done when replacing the struts? Looks like there is an OEM version available, but I just don't see how the KYB part would function - except using the worn out part #7 just as a spring cushion and then relying on the dust boot as a separate part.Also, part #3 was completely worn through - just an FYI for what might have to scramble to find after you have your car immobilized!!
Platinum76

Post by Platinum76 »

get youself some tokico hps and tein stech springs and drop that sh*t !!! parts will cost you around $600.00... its a piece of cake to install if your mechanicallly inclined . I did it over 2 years ago and love it!!!
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

stoutvibe wrote:Well, I decided to replace my struts also - the front dust boots are shot and noticed poor handling over rough roads (108,000 mi).I purchased KYB GR2's and ran into the same issue with the bellows. Basically, the part I need is #7 in the illustration below. This basically acts as a dust boot and cushion between the spring platehttp://www.trademotion.com/par...gid=0But, the KYB strut bellows recommended SB102 does not look the same, or offer the same function. What have others done when replacing the struts? Looks like there is an OEM version available, but I just don't see how the KYB part would function - except using the worn out part #7 just as a spring cushion and then relying on the dust boot as a separate part.Also, part #3 was completely worn through - just an FYI for what might have to scramble to find after you have your car immobilized!!

Today I took a look at the rear shocks of my 2009 Vibe FWD and I notice stamped on the shock is "KYB USA" So these are the OEM shocks and not any GM approved OEM. I have an issue that the ride is TOO Stiff. I am fearing that the harsh ride will make my rear view mirror fall off. The maker of the shock is something I wanted to know being I am reading that others here talk about installing KYB as replacements.