Buying new pads, have a few questions

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
CaliManDan

Buying new pads, have a few questions

Post by CaliManDan »

My girlfriend needs new brake pads for her 2003 Pontiac Vibe (base model). First off...do the 03 Base models have disc in the front and drums in the back or disc all the way around?Secondly, I would like to get a regular OEM replacement brake pad for her. I know a lot of the aftermarket pads tend to make some noise and squeak and she doesn't want that, she wants silent ones just like the stock. So can anyone recommend a good place online or otherwise (Pepboys??) that sells standard OEM replacement brake pads? Are there any surprises or tricky parts to changing the front and rear brake pads on these cars that I should know about before diving into the job?
Cougar Vibe

Re: Buying new pads, have a few questions (CaliManDan)

Post by Cougar Vibe »

It's funny you mentioned wanting to go w/OEM due to noise, as I replaced our OEM's at 40K because of it (swapped them out for $40 Autozone ceramics). Mind you, the OEM's are very good quality...mine still had a lot of pad left and were nowhere near the indicator; but the grinding/screeching was driving us nuts. I'm really happy w/the ceramics, though I'll probably have to do a rotor turn/replacement earlier than if I stuck w/semi-metallic pads. As for the brake system on a base model, it's disc/front & drum/rear. Replacing pads is very (VERY) easy to do...took me all of half an hour, though I did spend about an hour beforehand hunting down & watching "Corolla brake pad replacement" vids on YouTube, besides reading the basics in my Haynes manual. Also, there should be more than one well-done DYI posted here...probably a sticky.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

I know you said OEM, but I still would recommend EBC Greens. http://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brak...d=003The car will stop a little better and the pad has it's own surface break-in feature as well as a center cut slot... something I used to do to my new pads for better cooling and gas-release when I was racing. Unlike semi-metallic pads, especially the cheap ones, they are also easy on the rotors.Most noise is a sympathetic harmonic set-up between the metal surfaces of the pad and caliper. Be sure to use a pad shim, or better yet, CRC Disc Brake Quiet http://www.google.com/imgres?i...QEwCA :The stuff costs $4.50/bottle and mine has lasted over 20 yrs now. It's easy, if not a little messy to use, but works great!
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
rated_w

Post by rated_w »

I am running Hawk Ceramic brake pads paired with power slot rotors (vented slotted) front, and generic rear brake shoes for rear and oem drum. No squeeks as of yet.... No offence, but EBC green is absolute garbage!
// Pølkå®øø - 2001 Toyota Corolla LEGuess what's new for 2006 - in the works.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I just put Hawk HPS pads on my Civic. They are working great - no squeaks at all and I didn't do anything other than pull off the old ones and plunk in the new ones (had to get a compression tool to squeeze the piston back). Bought the pads from Amazon for $50 with free shipping.A product desciption: Hawk HPS High Performance Street disc brake pads are world renowned for increasing stopping power on your street legal vehicle. Increasing the performance of your vehicles braking system is easy when you choose Hawk Performance’s HPS braking compound. This unique Ferro-Carbon formula was developed for street performance using the safety and quality of Aerospace and Motorsports severe-duty friction technology. The High Performance Street compound offers a higher coefficient of friction over stock brake pads and can provide you 20-40 percent more stopping power and higher resistance to brake fade than most standard replacement pads. Less fade means you’ll have a highly durable brake pad with less brake dust.I will say that the prior pads - from Meineke - had a bit less dust and they lasted about 65,000 miles.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Update: I am switching to ceramic pads as I can't stand the dust. Seems to have gotten worse the longer this has gone on. The brakes function great and still have never squealed or made any noise, but dust is visible in just a few days - dark and sooty. I am also putting on new Brembo rotors as I warped the stock ones by over tightening the lug nuts.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Going to throw in my recommendation for Monroe ceramic pads on the front end. As others have said, slap some 'brake quiet' between the pads and calipers to make the squeakies go away.For the rear drums. Pull the drum and inspect/clean before you replace them. They likely have tons of life left in them as the front provide the vast majority of your braking power.Edit: just realized the age of the OP, this is still good general information though.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
clownshoes

Re: Buying new pads, have a few questions (sideshowalan)

Post by clownshoes »

I've had good luck with AC Delco pads myself. Sometimes OEM ain't bad.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD