removing rear brake rotor on '03 gt

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
kbs

removing rear brake rotor on '03 gt

Post by kbs »

im trying to figure out how to get the rear brake rotors off of the hub. i got the caliper off and in my car the rotor will pull right off once the caliper is removed, but in the vibe it seems like it wont even budge. any help would be awesome. im at a standstill right now and im taking up important garage space. thanks
Herb

Re: removing rear brake rotor on '03 gt (kbs)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by kbs »im trying to figure out how to get the rear brake rotors off of the hub. i got the caliper off and in my car the rotor will pull right off once the caliper is removed, but in the vibe it seems like it wont even budge. any help would be awesome. im at a standstill right now and im taking up important garage space. thanks Is the parking brake on? If so dis-engage the brake
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
bodhi_tree777

Re: removing rear brake rotor on '03 gt (kbs)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

sometimes they can be a bear, a few whacks with a mallet may dislodge it.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
tribalman

Re: removing rear brake rotor on '03 gt (bodhi_tree777)

Post by tribalman »

did the 03 gt have disk brakes all the way around? i thought it was disk front drum in back, at least my 4 base is.if it's back drum brakes the way that's been mentioned here before and i've done is this: go into your trunk, open the spare tire compartment, take out the black(or is it grey, can't remember) round holder with a long bolt through it that keeps the spare tire in place, take that screw and carefully and slowly screw it into the holes on the drum. it's the perfect fit.
None. Vibe is gone.
Herb

Re: removing rear brake rotor on '03 gt (tribalman)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by tribalman »did the 03 gt have disk brakes all the way around? i thought it was disk front drum in back, at least my 4 base is.The 03 GT does indeed have disks all around. However from what I've seen, all rear disk brakes also have a small drum in them for the parking brake, therefore if the parking brake is engaged, you won't be able to remove the rotor. Granted I haven't seen the rear brakes on mine, but I ran into the same problem when helping with my friend's Isuzu Rodeo a couple of years ago
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
kbs

Post by kbs »

thanks guys, the parking brake wasnt on, my hammer just wasnt big enough i guess, i had to take a screwdriver and chisel the rust off around the center hub then just beat the heck out of it. brake job complete though. thanks again
Houdini1

Post by Houdini1 »

For future reference.. I just used this method on my seized front rotors "03 GT:http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mtsTJCRljAsI used 7/16 hardware only 1 nut & a washer between the bolt & rotor.
Houdini1

Post by Houdini1 »