steering wheel shakes at high speed

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
mike0179

steering wheel shakes at high speed

Post by mike0179 »

Hello Everyone,my 03 vibe has a steering wheel vibration and shimmy at speeds over 70 mph. I had the tires rotated and balanced and it still happens. The shakes also happens when braking hard at high speeds as well. what do you think the problems could be?thanks,mike
mntn-biker

Re: steering wheel shakes at high speed (mike0179)

Post by mntn-biker »

My guess would be you need a wheel alignment.
2003 base model
kingreyna

Post by kingreyna »

It can also mean that you need to balance your tires and if it shakes at braking then you may need new rotors.
ohcdoug

Post by ohcdoug »

try a dynamic tire balance not a static one. And make sure the wheel weights are new and attached securely. I have had this at those speeds and found the above fixed the issue. Also a wheel may be bent or if you are really unlucky...the tires are delaminating internally,that was a complete new set for free when that happened. |Doug
DrunkenMonster

Post by DrunkenMonster »

When your braking and it shakes, does it do it at all speeds or just high speeds?
2005 Vibe Base with M&TKenwood KDC-MP342UAvital 4103 Alarm/Remote StartK&N Panel Air Filter, Removed Silencer, TB Coolant Bypass1998 Jeep Cherokee UKFlowmaster Super 44Cobra 25 LTD CB 2 JL Audio 10W0's / TMA 500
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

as an owner of a car that burns through them like a fat kid looting a candy store, shaking when braking (that rhymes) is the rotors being warped.also, where are all the do-gooders looking to criticize this guy for posting this in the engine and transmission section? have i been away that long?
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
AKLGT

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »as an owner of a car that burns through them like a fat kid looting a candy store, shaking when braking (that rhymes) is the rotors being warped.also, where are all the do-gooders looking to criticize this guy for posting this in the engine and transmission section? have i been away that long?HOLY MEMBER BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!! 0.o
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ou.grizzly

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »as an owner of a car that burns through them like a fat kid looting a candy store, shaking when braking (that rhymes) is the rotors being warped.also, where are all the do-gooders looking to criticize this guy for posting this in the engine and transmission section? have i been away that long?Some of us work 6-7 days a week....
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
vibedrivermatt

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

I had very similar problem on one of my cars. It turned out that some of my alloy wheels were bent 3 of them to be exact. I think the previous owner must have gotten a little overzealous in his/her driving maneuvers and hit something at some point. I'll never know what really happened but at least I became informed after going in for a balance that my wheels were bent. The vibrations got a little better after getting the balancing done but a more permanent fix would be to replace/repair the bent wheels. If your wheels were bent though the tire shop who did the balance should have told you that so either they forgot to mention it or maybe its something else.
Zvibe04

Post by Zvibe04 »

my 04 vibe does the exact same thing, it needs an alignment, so im hoping that fixes it
2004 base vibemoon and tunes pakagealuminum rimsauto trans (hated)this car is my BABY
RBColbert

Re: steering wheel shakes at high speed

Post by RBColbert »

I too have a problem with the steering wheel shaking.
It shakes around 63-72 mph. All in the steering wheel and front suspension. To the point that it cupped the tires on the front. I had the front and rear suspension alligned and the wheels are in balanced and both have been verified by two shops. A Chevy dealership and a Pontiac/GMC dealership.
I think it is in the rack and pinion maybe a connection link that goes to the steering ball joint.
Any body have a simular problem please share if you have had this remidied.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Bent rims, warped rotors, bad struts
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
daniel4888

Post by daniel4888 »

mine i think is the rotor i think my driver side front rotor is warped sometime if it rains i can hear it hitting and my steering wheel shakes under braking and it sometime shakes at high speed
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

WARPED ROTORS! had this problem. I believe it was due to over tightening of lug nuts when changing rims. Be careful who you let change your rims.
rd3415

Post by rd3415 »

Same problem only it sounded like someone was giving birth in my wheel well so I assumed it was the wheel bearing. When I went in to change it I saw the tell-tale uneven-but-consistent material transfer pattern. Cleaned it all up so my pad would quit dragging but the damage was already done. Time to spend some money!