I feel vibration on my Steering Wheel after 90 km.

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Mynewvibe

I feel vibration on my Steering Wheel after 90 km.

Post by Mynewvibe »

Hello I’m new to Vibe family my story is. I just purch a 07 Pontiac Vibe and I love the space and the looks. I did not had the chance to drive it on HWY so yesterday I went out to family and I just seen that my Steering wheel it starts to shake I try to speed pass 120 it start to diminish a bit . Wend we came back it seem not be as bad but I can still fill it . I wander if anybody had same experience. I can use some help.Thank you
star_deceiver

Re: I feel vibration on my Steering Wheel after 90 km. (Mynewvibe)

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!! Sounds like you need your wheels balanced!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by Mynewvibe »Hello I’m new to Vibe family my story is. I just purch a 07 Pontiac Vibe and I love the space and the looks. I did not had the chance to drive it on HWY so yesterday I went out to family and I just seen that my Steering wheel it starts to shake I try to speed pass 120 it start to diminish a bit . Wend we came back it seem not be as bad but I can still fill it . I wander if anybody had same experience. I can use some help.Thank youWelcome to this great forum I second the wheel balance possibility Depending on the mileage, how BAD the Vibe was abused (hopefully not) and tire mfgr, that's where I'd start. Oh ... by the way .... we like to see pics of your Vibe It's sort of an "unwritten law" that pics are a must! Post some when you get a chance
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

I've ran thru this problem completely with my vibe, a couple of wheel balances later, an alignment, and pulling the rotors and sanding down where the rotors make contact on the hub fixed my issue.I would start with the cheapest stuff... wheel balance and sanding the inside of the rotor and the hub...if you still have a shake then you could possibly try an alignment, but usually an alignment will not cause a shake.Here is my thread:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=38491
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Mynewvibe

Re: I feel vibration on my Steering Wheel after 90 km. (Kamikaze)

Post by Mynewvibe »

Hi guys thank you for the info and ides I will take a look on my Vibe on the next weekend will be the first time I can get to know my new vibe. The car was certify before I got it so I hope is not the ball joint, but have to check it my self. I will try to post some pic on.
Mynewvibe

Post by Mynewvibe »

Ok so I did balance my wheels. I change the rotors I did clean the rust before I put them back .And guess what I still have the Steering Wheel shaking. It is strange the way it does it. I can feel it starting at 80 km - 110 km the higher it gets It feels less and less. The strange part is at 100 km you can feel it the strongest on the Steering wheel and it comes and goes, so it shakes for 5 seconds then it stops then it comes back.. I do not know if anybody have experience this but my next think to check is probably CV Axel but I do not know which one .. The not so good part is I’m working bad shifts so my only days I can work on it will be on Fridays and Saturdays... I Will keep updates..
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

did u do an alignment as well? and welcome
vibeman2003

Post by vibeman2003 »

Hi, I had a similar problem. Every time I accelarated my vibe, the steering wheel went crazy it was jumping all over the place not like when the wheels are out of balance this was really bad. I found out it was my right cv axle, replaced it and problem solve!!! The axle look like it was fine, but it had a little play on the outboard joint and that was enough to created this problem.
Mynewvibe

Re: I feel vibration on my Steering Wheel after 90 km. (vibeman2003)

Post by Mynewvibe »

I did not do alignment because every body said would not have vibration , that will show on tires ware not wheel vibration , but I will do that is cheaper then changing CV axel this weekend I will do it .. Is so annoying
vibeman2003

Post by vibeman2003 »

While alignment normally doent create this problem its not a bad idea to check it. I also remember a similar problem with another car, this one was a rear wheel drive and was cause by the u-joints. What I trying to bring with this is that not always is what we thing should be like the front suspension. Could be the clutch system like it is explain in the centerforce clutch website. Download the online catalog and go to page 17. Any of the following can cause a vibration of the front end at different RPMs or Speeds:WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSES FOR CLUTCH CHATTER?• FLYWHEEL HAS EXCESSIVE RUN-OUT.• FLY WHEEL WAS NOT RESURFACED BEFORE THE NEW CLUTCH WAS INSTALLED.• FLYWHEEL WAS RESURFACED IMPROPERLY OR HAS IMPROPER SURFACE FINISH.• FLYWHEEL HAS SEVERE HARD SPOTS OR HOT SPOTS.• FLYWHEEL RESURFACED IMPROPERLY (I.E. INCORRECT FLYWHEEL STEP).• DAMAGED OR EXCESSIVELY WORN CV JOINTS.• BAD U-JOINTS IN DRIVE SHAFT OR U-JOINTS MISALIGNED.• EXCESSIVE BACKLASH IN DIFFERENTIAL.• EXCESSIVE DRIVELINE ANGLE.• BAD LEAF SPRINGS, BUSHINGS OR MOUNTS.• IMPROPER GEAR RATIO VERSUS TIRE DIAMETER.• DEFECTIVE PRESSURE PLATE AND/OR DISC.• DISC HAS INADEQUATE OR NO MARCEL (NOT ENOUGH CUSHION BETWEEN THEFRICTIONFACINGS).• OIL OR GREASE CONTAMINATION ON CLUTCH FACINGS.• WORN OR DAMAGED CLUTCH LINKAGE.• BENT COVER ASSEMBLY AND/OR DISC.• IMPROPERLY TUNED ENGINE.• WORN OR DAMAGED ENGINE MOUNTS OR TRANSMISSION MOUNTS.Good luck!!!
Mynewvibe

Re: I feel vibration on my Steering Wheel after 90 km. (vibeman2003)

Post by Mynewvibe »

Hi just updating. So I went to do wheel alignment the guy said will not fix my shaking , the prob is he went for 2 weeks on vacation so I have to wait for him . I did some check and I found on driver side had a bit of play horizontally it may need to change the wheel bearings. Ho knows it may help.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by Mynewvibe »I found on driver side had a bit of play horizontally it may need to change the wheel bearings.Horizontal play (Hands at 9 and 3 o'clock on the wheel) would indicate worn steering components. Play at 12 and 6 would be wheel bearing.Check your tie rods and steering system.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Mynewvibe

Re: I feel vibration on my Steering Wheel after 90 km. (star_deceiver)

Post by Mynewvibe »

Sorry I made a mistake I meant (12 - 6 clock) movement. The guy at the mechanic shop showed me is verticaly movement. So now I’m wander if I should bet only the Bearing or the hole wheel part.. Will see how chipper is ..