Rear Tire Wear/Alignment Question

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
EastnMike

Rear Tire Wear/Alignment Question

Post by EastnMike »

Hey all, the wife has a 2003 fusion base 1.8 (she loves) and we have 172,000 miles on it now, and it is a wonderful car. But I have noticed that this past year, the inside tread of the rear tires have been wearing in a "chopped" pattern, and wearing out completely on the inside. I have kept the tires rotated and balanced correctly, and maintain a steady 33 PSI in all tires. If you look at the car from the rear, the tire/wheel assembly seems to "squat" out at the bottom, yes, it is noticable. The way I am looking at the car, looks as if there is no way to adjust this, am I correct? And has anyone faced this problem before? Thanks! Mike
zionzr2

Re: Rear Tire Wear/Alignment Question (EastnMike)

Post by zionzr2 »

Welcome to the Vibedom!!I'm pretty sure all four corners are able to be aligned in the base. I know they can in my awd.Most major tire shops can do alignments and often offer a free align check. GoodYear did mine and Firestone did my wifes cobalt when I got a new set of tires it was only about $60 to align all four corners. If you are gonna get new tires have them put the new tires on first then allign. just be sure to ask to see the before and after printouts and even ask for a copy.
keithvibe

Re: Rear Tire Wear/Alignment Question (EastnMike)

Post by keithvibe »

the rear of the 2wd can be shimed to get less camber.Though with that amount of mileage you should replace your struts/shocks. They are probley on their last leg. Most cars will have a slight camber in on the top to make the car handle better, and usually won't effect the tires.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

The inside wear is almost certainly camber and as stated, is a good idea for stability and enhanced handling, but the choppy looking tread may also indicate the rear toe needs looking into. You may have an excessive toe-in or toe-out problem in the rear.Hey, keithvibe! From the Lehigh Valley, huh? I am originally from Easton. Where are you?
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM