Picked up my Tokico HP Struts

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Raven

Picked up my Tokico HP Struts

Post by Raven »

I got my new Tokico struts today in Ogdensburg, NY. The left front KYB has puked out all it's fluid and the other 3 feel tired. I figured I'd try the Tokico HP struts since most folks buy the KYB GR-2 as replacements. Saturday looks like a decent day around 1-2°C, 34-36°F, so I should be able to install them and test drive them on dry roads then. I'm looking forward to it.
BlueCrush

Re: Picked up my Tokico HP Struts (Raven)

Post by BlueCrush »

Cool! Look forward to hearing your results.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
sjbourg

Post by sjbourg »

Congrats. CAn't wait for the review, as I'd like to get these too at some point.
kevera

Re: Picked up my Tokico HP Struts (BlueCrush)

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Cool! Look forward to hearing your results.x2
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Raven

Post by Raven »

Well, the job is complete and all I can say is Wow!!!The car has been transformed. After the install of my Tein S-Tech springs, the handling was great but the ride was very harsh and choppy. Not anymore. The car rides smoother than stock springs and the handling is amazing. The roads here are extremely rough with big frost heaves starting to form. The Tokicos seem to absorb the bumps more smoothly and rebound much faster so road contact is maintained, allowing the car to keep it's line without chattering or hopping. Even at 75mph through some bumpy corners no steering corrections were needed. I only drove it about 20 miles today but I can't wait to drive to Ottawa and back for a better overall test. I paid $266.80 delivered, about the same price as KYB GR-2s which are pretty much the same as the OEM KYB nitrogen struts. If I knew how good these struts were, I would have installed them when I did the S-Techs. They are highly recommended.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I forgot to mention they have a lifetime warranty if they leak or fail on the vehicle they were originally installed with the original purchaser..
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Nice! Glad to hear they are working better than OEM. Where did you get them? Nice price too! The only way I would every drop a car again would be to have aftermarket shocks and struts as well. What parts of the original shocks/struts did you need to use again with the Tokico's? Ho long did it take you?
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Raven

Re: Picked up my Tokico HP Struts (BlueCrush)

Post by Raven »

I got them from Motor Sports Direct of Florida. They are full replacement struts, only the top strut mounts are re-used. That and the price is why I didn't buy Koni. This is the 4th time I've done struts or springs on a Vibe but it still took me at least 5 hours. I'm very meticulous and things were very salty and rusty to work with.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Nice, glad to hear about the upgrade, but, no pics... come on, ya know better.. lol..
Raven

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Raven »

Sublimewind

Re: (Raven)

Post by Sublimewind »

Verrryy nicccee...
Mavrik

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Mavrik »

dang she come with the struts? post pics of the car when your done.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ramenboy...

Re: (Raven)

Post by ramenboy... »

whoa!!!! nice...er....struts...
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

newb question, do the struts lower the car anymore than the springs? or does it just smooth out the ride from the aftermarket springs?
Raven

Re: (ITcar)

Post by Raven »

The ride height stayed the same, the Tokico struts just provide a smoother ride and better handling.
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

thanks