Painting the edges of disks?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
sagekai

Painting the edges of disks?

Post by sagekai »

I have some free time this weekend and was planning on de-rusting and using rustoleum to paint the edges of my front rotors where they're gotten fairly rusty... I've never seen this done, but it seems like it shouldn't be too hard... Any advice on possible trouble I could run into with this? Thanks!
2003 Vibe Base- Silver Two-Tone, Injen CAI, Sony X-Plod Head Unit, 16" Voxx MG Rims, Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs, Painted Rear Brakes, OEM Exhaust Tip, Custom Rear Seat Back Covers MiVibe-ToolGuy's Fog Lamp Protectors, 111K Miles!
Raven

Re: Painting the edges of disks? (sagekai)

Post by Raven »

The discs get extremely hot as in red hot. The paint won't last, even high temp paint would be challenged.
Mavrik

Re: Painting the edges of disks? (Raven)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »The discs get extremely hot as in red hot. The paint won't last, even high temp paint would be challenged.the paint won't last. but the other thing to keep in mind is you want the heat to vent from the rotor material. painting them will restrict that for a while. I wouldn't go as far to say they might warp...I'd just give those discs a good cleaning.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
kunkstyle

Re: Painting the edges of disks? (Mavrik)

Post by kunkstyle »

Callipers... yes. Rotors?... nope.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
sagekai

Post by sagekai »

ahh well good thing i asked before making a big mistake... howabout the other part where it gets rusty around the bolts? And as for cleaning do you recommend scotchbrite?
2003 Vibe Base- Silver Two-Tone, Injen CAI, Sony X-Plod Head Unit, 16" Voxx MG Rims, Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs, Painted Rear Brakes, OEM Exhaust Tip, Custom Rear Seat Back Covers MiVibe-ToolGuy's Fog Lamp Protectors, 111K Miles!
Ol' Timer

Re: (sagekai)

Post by Ol' Timer »

Quote, originally posted by sagekai »howabout the other part where it gets rusty around the bolts? And as for cleaning do you recommend scotchbrite?Have you ever tried to remove the front rotors on your Vibe? If you have, you might have had a slight problem removing them from the front axle. If/When I have to remove the front rotors on my Vibe, I will use some emery cloth to remove the surface rust from the hub and coat the hub with some Anti-Seize (be carefull not to get that stuff on the rotor surface). So if their is a next time when I have to remove the rotors, they'll come of without the use of a "Persuader"
2006 Salsa Vibe - Auto - Side Curtain Air Bags - ABS - Vehicle Stability Control - Tunes No Moon - Monotone - Preferred Package - Slate Cyper Cloth - Steelie Wheels2002 Snap Orange Beetle - Auto - Turbo
nate06

Post by nate06 »

I have always used rustolem on my brakes calipers and the edge of the rotors, I originally got the idea from my neighbor who is the biggest car guy I have ever known. I have never had a problem with heat, the paint last for years. I will never understand why people pay up to $40 for the high temp paint.
06 Stealth Vibe5 SpdDrag Dr9 Wheels
sagekai

Re: (Ol' Timer)

Post by sagekai »

Quote, originally posted by Ol’ Timer »Have you ever tried to remove the front rotors on your Vibe? If you have, you might have had a slight problem removing them from the front axle. If/When I have to remove the front rotors on my Vibe, I will use some emery cloth to remove the surface rust from the hub and coat the hub with some Anti-Seize (be carefull not to get that stuff on the rotor surface). So if their is a next time when I have to remove the rotors, they'll come of without the use of a "Persuader" I wasn't actually planning on removing the rotors to paint the edges, just putting the e-brake on and putting the car in neutral so I could do paint half, then spin the rotor around and paint the other half without taking the calipers off.Quote, originally posted by nate06 »I have always used rustolem on my brakes calipers and the edge of the rotors, I originally got the idea from my neighbor who is the biggest car guy I have ever known. I have never had a problem with heat, the paint last for years. I will never understand why people pay up to $40 for the high temp paint. So it doesn't wear off/crack or get f-ed up in any other way? Just to make sure I was making myself clear to the other guys who posted near the beginning, I wasn't talking about painting the silver face of the rotor, but the rusty metal that goes around the sides. Seems like this part isn't directly used in the braking process and therefor wouldn't get so hot..? You guys know way better than I do though Thanks for all the help!
LeatherVibe

Post by LeatherVibe »

I've painted rotors (not the brake surface) on several cars to cover up and prevent more rust. I can't stand to have some nice alloy wheels on a car that show nasty rusted calipers and brake rotors. The heat actually bakes the rustoleum on. Spraying the cleaned rotor with a little brake cleaner/degreaser will help the paint stick. I brush paint the rotors and calipers to keep the paint off places it shouldn't go. Masking tape helps too.And if your rotors get red hot, you got a problem!
09Red_Se

Post by 09Red_Se »

I've heard how hot disks get and calipers get and you need high temp paint.Not so,I've painted my rotor edges and the paint doesn't burn off.It gets abrasion and abuse esp. over winter.I personally use Tremclad brand (Canadian tire), and have used Rustoleum.Hi temp not required. Nothing wrong with hight temp, and won't hurt - but not necessary.