Sublimes front brake tutorial

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
edennis

Re: Sublimes front brake tutorial

Post by edennis »

Are the pictures from this tutorial still available somewhere?

Thanks,
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

I just HATE when that happens. I think it is selfish. BUT, not knowing the situation here I'll hold the rest of my judgments.

I've posted pics in forums years ago and those pics are STILL available. Now some forums have the ability to host the pics within the forum which eliminates that problem. Does this one? I know I have a bunch of pics in this forum.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

Piston should move in and out freely and doesn't take that much effort to compress it. If it requires a huge effort, then your piston is seized up. You can rebuild it or get another caliber.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Water boy wrote:I just HATE when that happens. I think it is selfish. BUT, not knowing the situation here I'll hold the rest of my judgments.

I've posted pics in forums years ago and those pics are STILL available. Now some forums have the ability to host the pics within the forum which eliminates that problem. Does this one? I know I have a bunch of pics in this forum.
Water boy: this happened only to pictures that were linked from a sharing site like photobucket. When the forum software changed the links to photobucket and such broke. Pictures that have been directly uploaded to this forum survived. Even posted links to threads inside the forum got damaged. This situation necessitates rebuilding "The Great How-To Maintenance Index", something I have been doing for a while here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44875
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

vibrologist wrote:
Water boy: this happened only to pictures that were linked from a sharing site like photobucket. When the forum software changed the links to photobucket and such broke. Pictures that have been directly uploaded to this forum survived.
To be fair about it, the missing pictures has nothing to do with the forum software change. There has been a long running debate about the best way to post pictures to this forum. Even more so with the old forum software, ti was cumbersome to post a large quantity of pictures to a single post, which made it a bit more work to create a single illustrated how to thread. Also, the forum software has attachment size limits, and for people who don't know how to (or can't be bothered to) resize pictures to have file size under the limit, posting to an external image hosting site was easier. However, as in this thread, and a number of others, especially ragingfish's multiple how-to's, the genviber who originally posted the photos, or otherwise didn't take steps to maintain the content on the external image host, and now those pictures are just not there. It's not that the links to the external photos were corrupted by the forum software upgrade, it's that the target of those links is no longer there. Some older, pre-forum upgrade posts with photobocket pics still have pics, for example, 2007 thread viewtopic.php?t=23008 still has mathteacher'04vibe's photobucket pics, So if you find pics missing, its from missing members who either deliberately or inadvertently deleted their external content
vibrologist wrote: Even posted links to threads inside the forum got damaged
The old forum software had internal thread links were a different URL format than the current software. Can't say for sure, but it behaved as if the forum software upgrade generated a cross reference from old thread to new thread, and this was used to set up redirects on the web server, so if you tried to hit an old link, the server would redirect the browser to the new link. For whatever reason, those redirects worked for a while, but after some time, they stopped working. I remember seeing Nick (admin) say it had something to do with severe performance hits on the server/database.

vibrologist wrote:
This situation necessitates rebuilding "The Great How-To Maintenance Index", something I have been doing for a while here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44875
Thanks for doing that Image
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Thanks, joatmon, for clearing this up for us.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476