Tein s-tech and alignments?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
CUV03

Tein s-tech and alignments?

Post by CUV03 »

I have been getting conflicting answers from all different people (mechanics). I have tein s-tech springs and kyb gr-2 struts that I want to put in but I keep getting told that I need (don't need) a camber kit to align after putting in new struts and springs. What is (if any) the right answer?
kevera

Re: Tein s-tech and alignments? (CUV03)

Post by kevera »

It all depends.I needed 2 on the front.One on each side of the lower front bolts.They are cheap,so invest in them if you can.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Mavrik

Re: Tein s-tech and alignments? (kevera)

Post by Mavrik »

it all depends but you can NOT adjust the rear camber without a camber kit. I know this because I had to buy a camber kit to correct my rear camber. It looks like a red disc with different thickness for settings and it gets attached behind the hub/brake assy of your rear wheels. What you will need to do first is have your alignment inspected and get the print outs. The machine I use at work allows me to print off the settings and show the correct setting of a camber kit. It even lists off all the places that sell the kits including part numbers. Sure made it easy when I walked into NAPA for one.I bought two kits but only ended up needing one so now I have a spare lol. But you will very likely need to adjust the rear suspension when you lower the car. I did when I put on my S-tech TEIN springs.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
sagekai

Post by sagekai »

I switched out my springs for S-techs but didn't change the struts... and didn't need to be realigned
2003 Vibe Base- Silver Two-Tone, Injen CAI, Sony X-Plod Head Unit, 16" Voxx MG Rims, Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs, Painted Rear Brakes, OEM Exhaust Tip, Custom Rear Seat Back Covers MiVibe-ToolGuy's Fog Lamp Protectors, 111K Miles!
kevera

Re: (sagekai)

Post by kevera »

If I were you,I would get the alignment checked.Changing the springs does throw off the alignment.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Mavrik

Re: (sagekai)

Post by Mavrik »

any time you remove a strut from a vehicle, you have changed the toe and camber settings. It is always wise to recheck your alignment afterwards.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

not req on AWD models but will be req on some 2wdand I agree with mav... mess with suspension and get an alignment... always.
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos