Painting Calipers & Drums

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Whelan

Painting Calipers & Drums

Post by Whelan »

Anyone have a few quick instructions since I really dont want to take the caliper off the wheel when I go to paint. The rotors and pads are being replaced in a day so I am not worried about them having a splash or two if it gets between spots here and there. Let me know
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
kevera

Re: Painting Calipers & Drums (Whelan)

Post by kevera »

Are you spraying or brush.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
kevera

Re: Painting Calipers & Drums (kevera)

Post by kevera »

No matter,once you have the wheels off.Clean the caliper with brake cleaner,scrub with a scotch-brite pad or equivalent and clean again with brake cleaner.Tape of bleeder screw and anywhere else that you don't want paint.Spay or brush in thin coats.You will have to put on 3 coats to maximize coverage.Then let dry for a few hours.Same for the drums,clean and scrub loose rust and paint,brake cleaner again and tape off bolts(wheel studs) and anywhere you don't want paint over-spray.Paint in a few light coats then let dry for a few hours.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

just tape off and paint. i did find that using a brush system vs spray was a lot easier and less mess (no overspray)
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
phunkyvibe

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by phunkyvibe »

When painting them with a paint brush, doesnt it show brush strokes as opposed to spraying them?
Mrizzle05

Re: (phunkyvibe)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

if you check my cardomain, i have a close up of it... youll see brush strokes, not to bad. and you cant tell unless your like at the rim looking. i painted my buddies too and he loves the way they looked after.i would brush.
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
kevera

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by kevera »

Brush is the way to go.I put 6 thin coats on and you can't even tell I used a brush.
Whelan

Re: (kevera)

Post by Whelan »

I had two choices, the Duplicolor kit that has the cleaner, brush, etc. but it is a dull paint, not glossy. I got the VHT caliper paint in gloss black for half the price. So spraying it will be, and I wanted a gloss. Just wait till you see how slick it looks with clean calipers and powerslot rotors. I'll take before and after picks heheh.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

if you brush cant you use a foam brush so that it wouldnt show those weird hairs in the strokes. Whelan, you have to post pics of it when your done!
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

I painted mine and had no issues with brush strokes showing up...if done in the proper temperatures (and in the shade) you shouldn't have an issue getting the brush strokes to go away...just plan on minimum 3 coats, possible 4...the duplicolor kit comes with more than enough paint to do 3 coats.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
tcam

Re: (engineertwin2)

Post by tcam »

crap, I only did 2 coats when I painted my calipers. they were really thick coats though. I hope it doesn't start to chip or anything.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

i just hope yours doesn't chip away like mine did. first time i did the calipers on the LGT, i used the duplicolor high heat spray can. gone in one winter. then last summer, i redid the calipers with the duplicolor caliper kit. also, gone this winter. I retouched them until i do my brembo brake upgrade in which i will redo the rear brakes with the G2 caliper kit in gold. it's more money but i had that on my VGT for 2 winters and it looked just as new as the day i painted them!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Prepping is the most important step in the process. Making sure the rust and all is clean and clear. A Wire brush and some simple green and a lot of rags and effort will be put on mine. Here is what the calipers look like now.A little dark but you can totally see the rusted caliper. Paint goes on Wednesday after work, and brakes put on Thursday. Plenty of pics! Im stoked to see how the powerslots look through the wheels.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

well, on my 4th time painting calipers i do know all about prep work. however, the winters and roads here are terrible. plus, i drive 95% of the time for my business. the wear and tear on my car is much worse than the average owner. not only that, i don't just drive the car from point A to point B. i DRIVE the car. the brakes get well used, thus the need for the BBK upgrade. even doing all the prep work, the quality of paint and hardener make the difference. As i said before, i have used the High Heat enamel and clear coat, the duplicolor Caliper/Brake kit, and the G2 Caliper kit (which i found the best and most expensive). Depending on your roads, how much and how you drive, etc, will depend on whether you will be doing a lot of touch up on those brakes if using a cheaper paint.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

Hope, I think maybe your problem might be the severe temperature extremes you face. Here in Arizona, I think my brakes are exposed to ambient temperatures from 50F to 125F. The heat of braking is dependent upon speed and braking force, but generally won't climb above 400F temporarily.The biggest problem is that the caliper paints are often ceramic based, thus insulating the caliper and not allowing them to vent as well as they normally would. If you DRIVE around, you'll continue to keep your brakes well above ambient temperatures (typical daily driving usually doesn't increase exterior caliper temps more than 15-20F above ambient). Then, as you sit from appt to appt, the brakes cool down. Metal expands and contracts significantly with temperature. Much more than ceramic expands or contracts with temperature. This means your paint will easily chip off.Of course, salt hurts, but not as much as temperature for initial chipping. I think that your route for Brembo (read powder-coated calipers) brakes will result in the best finish possible.This response isn't really geared towards Hope or anyone, just providing insight as to why you would experience paint chipping on the brakes. Of course, there is always rock issues, full coverage issues (if exposed metal rusts, it will compromise your paint), the list goes on and on...
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

oh, maybe ill just powder coat my drums/calipers when i get time....
Whelan

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Whelan »

powdercoating does seem the be the best way hands down, its what brembo and Wagner do. I am going to stick with the VHT, its a reliable company and have heard good reviews on this specific product.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

id use paint, but my uncle has his own powder coating tools, so it would be free...why not then eh
Whelan

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Whelan »

lucky
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT