POLL: Did you want ABS on your Vibe?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
NaNC3

Post by NaNC3 »

This was important to me, and several other recent posts have mentioned it. Did you want/get ABS (anti-lock brakes) when you bought your Vibe?
GMJAP

Re: POLL: Did you want ABS on your Vibe? (NaNC3)

Post by GMJAP »

Finding ABS, side airbags, and manual tranny together was pain in the southern region.IMO, ABS should be standard on all vehicles.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
the1stacekiller

Re: POLL: Did you want ABS on your Vibe? (GMJAP)

Post by the1stacekiller »

Didn't really care.. or want it.. expensive to fix.. expensive electronic.. and doesn't work as well as advertised.. and in the future if it breaks the dealer will rape you to fix it ..less hasle
- 2004 Pontiac Vibe Base 2 Tone Grey Goodness -
Mavrik

Re: POLL: Did you want ABS on your Vibe? (the1stacekiller)

Post by Mavrik »

Did not want it.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I wanted ABS but it was very hard/impossible to find one with ABS and a 5speed. So I chose to get a 5speed with out. Arg. I voted wrong. opps.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
PolarVrtX

Post by PolarVrtX »

I definitely wanted it, but AWD was also a must so I never really had to think about it
2006 AWD Stealth Vibe
Merzbow

Post by Merzbow »

ABS takes the fun out of winter....my mom's '06 Grand Prix is BORING ZzZZzZ in winter....with the ABS and traction control.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
BlueCrush

Re: POLL: Did you want ABS on your Vibe? (Merzbow)

Post by BlueCrush »

Wanted ABS and AWD. Got 'em.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

at hertz thats all they sold and i dont mind it so i got it
808 Vibes

Re: (northvibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I agree with the1stacekiller-just one more thing to break!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I went from a Malibu that had numerous ABS issues, so the fact that the dealer didn't have any ABS cars on the lot didn't phase me. The one more thing to break deal was in full effect. But later on, I wanted it back! I decided it was going to be a requirement when I was looking to replace the Vibe. I'm with GMJAP, make it standard OR at least make it so that you can actually find cars with the option if it is made optional.I've got 'em now, it was standard on my Accent so I'm happy. It was nice to not have to jump through any hoops just to get ABS. But in 4,000 miles I have yet to activate them. Guess that's a good thing. I'm looking forward to it this winter, if it doesn't get a workout then, I dunno.Merzbow, that's funny.. That's the point off ABS, traction control, etc - taking all the fun out of winter driving! Sliding around is fun but when you don't want to, that's a different story. LOL!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
21Rouge

Post by 21Rouge »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »IMO, ABS should be standard on all vehicles.I agree and similarly for side curtain airbags.
21Rouge

Re: (Jeremy96gase)

Post by 21Rouge »

Quote, originally posted by Jeremy96gase »I wanted ABS but it was very hard/impossible to find one with ABS and a 5speed. Same for us. So we placed a factory order and waited.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Got it and wanted it...
isaaclud

Post by isaaclud »

I had no clue it wasnt standard.....sooooonow I find myself w/out ABS....which is not theend of the world. but still, its always in the back of my mind
PEACEISAAC
P-Fernandez

Post by P-Fernandez »

same as isaaclud...i thought it was standard..
jeffgtx

Re: (P-Fernandez)

Post by jeffgtx »

gmjap is right, finding ABS ... AND side airbags is a challange.funny thing was i didn't get stabilitrak, which was fine with me, but i forgot. about three times the wheels would spin on a rainy take off and i would go mman.... this traction control system sucks.finally realized, oh there isn't one.
JeffGTX's Shades Of Gray Pontiac Armada:Cool: 2008 Solstice GXP ConvertibleSly: 2009 Solstice GXP CoupeMaverick: 2009 G8 GXP
michaelgt

Post by michaelgt »

I did not care if I had ABS and side-air bags. I called for insurance quote prior to purchasing. Then when I got one with both, the insurance was $300 cheaper per year to have them both. Therefore, they paid for themselves!
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Don't really care either way. I got it if only because I have a GT, but as michaelgt said, I save on insurance WITH ABS, so having it is a bonus. I rarely hit it, though, which is why it hasn't mattered to me.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

yea insurance companies give some nice discounts for all the safety features its awesome!
NaNC3

Post by NaNC3 »

Thanks all, for your replies so far. My insurance company did not give me a discount for getting them. They told me side air bags didn't matter either. I would have liked to have the side air bags, but they were even harder to find, plus very expensive. I figure if ABS saves me one accident it more than pays for itself.
Fincloser

Post by Fincloser »

i work for a dealer and the airbag abs option was hard to get from pontiac. Dealers didnt get the chance to get the vibes equiped with them. Thanks Pontiac. Pontiac's biggest problem is telling customers one thing and offering another. I wanted a base vibe 5sp with power pac but couldent get it had to get roll up windows or automatic to get power. Not so cool pontiac.
2006 Base Vibe 5sp
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

I had it on my '03 AWD......the Princess 's Vibe is FWD Base Auto w/side Airbags and NO ABS....it's an '03 as well.ABS on the Vibe never scared me, Toyota has good ABS, and it doesn't break often.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
prathman

Re: (Fincloser)

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by Fincloser »i work for a dealer and the airbag abs option was hard to get from pontiac. Dealers didnt get the chance to get the vibes equiped with them.So the dealers don't get a chance to order the cars equipped the way they want?There were so few 5-spd models available on dealer lots that we decided pretty quickly that we'd have to special order exactly what we wanted. The dealer was willing to order it without any binding contract or deposit from us so I'm surprised to hear that you couldn't specify exactly what options should be included. Seems like each dealer would have a better feel for what option combinations would sell best in their own area than having those decisions made more centrally.
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Bought a GT and got ABS standard. Surprised to hear some insurance companies don't give a discount for having more safety features. Mine does and I really appreciate it.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

Yep,I looked long and hard to find the Vibe w/ABS. It trully makes a difference, with my twin girls in the back, I felt that every little bit of control helps.
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
sylvainber

Post by sylvainber »

IMO, ABS should be standard on all vehicles.[/QUOTE]Amen!
Salsa 2-tone Basecargo nets, liner and seatback storageThe best thing about having my previous car totaled in an accident is that i got a Vibe to replace it
firevibe

Post by firevibe »

I wanted it badly but I wanted 5speed more. Couldn't find one that had both so I had to go without ABS. At least it had power windows...
crazytrain

Re: POLL: Did you want ABS on your Vibe? (firevibe)

Post by crazytrain »

I got ABS and Front & Side Airbags on the Base w/ AT. My insurance company did not give any discount for the side airbags - all they cared about was front airbags & ABS. I don't know how much of a discount I got because of it, but I was quoted $122 a year more for the '06 Vibe than the '99 Saturn it replaced. The Saturn did not have ABS, but had dual front airbags.EDIT: The reason I got ABS & Side Airbags is because of the amount of time I'm on the road and all the nonsense I see. Safety for myself and my passenger(s) comes before anything else. I'm not like I was a few years ago when I purchased a new car and the salesman asked if I wanted the passenger airbag (driver side was standard). I looked at the price, then at my girlfriend, then the price, then my girlfriend, then at the salesman and said "nope".
2006 Stealth Vibe <-- Current
2010 Subaru Forester <-- Wife's Current
I miss my 1992 Saturn SC2 - drove it for 12 years
Katscan

Re: POLL: Did you want ABS on your Vibe? (crazytrain)

Post by Katscan »

I feel like it was fate when I bought my Vibe. I went to the dealership to test-drive a Vibe to get a feel for it before I start actually shopping for it. Before I went to the dealership I had been researching what I wanted for a few months, going to the Pontiac website and "building" the Vibe I wanted. So when I show up to the dealership to testdrive one.....there on the lot was they had the Vibe that I wanted. It had the options and color that I was looking for to the T. Yea, lol when the salesman asked me "What would it take" I couldnt refuse their offer when I told them what it would take....lol.
VibeoFive

Post by VibeoFive »

Wanted ABS and AWD and got it. Toyota ABS systems are almost trouble free and the insurance discount paid for the option expense
MisterHighway

Post by MisterHighway »

A day or two after I had purchased my Vibe, I was looking over the spec list for my car (from the window) and realized that I didn't have ABS. I spoke to my dealer who informed me that in 1993 ABS became standard, and in 2003, it stopped being so. Now I can't really find a Vibe without it, and my mother leased a Vibe (I bought) two months before I got mine and it was the exact same except for hers had the security package (side airbags, 17" rims, ignition security) and she had ABS. I raised hell at the dealership that it was NOT mentioned by my dealer who is supposed to know and delve EVERYTHING, and I got the hatch mat, the nets, 5 oil changes, and the bummer guard for free . Besides the initial purchase problem, I absolutely love my Vibe. After nearly 103,000 miles and still 14 months left to pay on it, I still love it and won't get rid of it anytime soon.[MisterHighway]
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Re: POLL: Did you want ABS on your Vibe? (MisterHighway)

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

abs,awd,side srs... it's goodQuote, originally posted by MisterHighway »I spoke to my dealer who informed me that in 1993 ABS became standard, and in 2003, it stopped being so. [MisterHighway]thats not true... ABS was never manditory. In 1993 in Canada DRL became manditory on all new cars. I actually like DRL's when driving but not when parked.Anyway this is not our car but proves the point-Quote »Canadian Driver Used Car review"What was clearly missing from the Tercel's list of standard equipment in 1995 was an air bag of any kind. There was an optional air bag for the driver, which later became standard equipment, but none was available for the passenger at any price for the entire run of the Tercel. Anti-lock braking was never available, either, nor was traction control"
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos
shane_c

Post by shane_c »

I completely agree. Especially in areas that get a lot of snow in the winter.
2006 Vibe (base) - Platinum Silver, 5 spd, ABS, Power Package, Infinity Speakers, Dynomax muffler, Cosmo SR intake - SOLD
ColonelPanic

Re: POLL: Did you want ABS on your Vibe? (CAN-AWD-VIBE)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I think he was meaning in GM's line a standard feature, not some government mandate... Down here, starting about '93 or so I guess it was, GM had ABS standard equipment pretty much across the board... Or at least Chevy did, everything from the Cavalier on up to the Caprice had it. I think there may have been excecptions with the Geo models and such, but for the most part just about everything I recall them building had ABS.Then, it started dropping to back to the options list by the early 90's. ABS on a base Vibe was impossible to find when I was looking, so they might as well not have offered it at all like on that cheapo Tercel. . Of course I didn't want ABS then but later found that I did. I did want side air bags, but of course, they weren't anywhere to be found either. From 2003 to the present, it's still impossible in this area to find a Vibe with ABS and side air bags. Optional safety features suck.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

I wonder if this can be broken into a regional issue. I wanted ABS, but this is because I live in Phoenix, AZ where the likelyhood of running into snow is like a snowball's chance in...If I lived in Michigan or Ohio or Colorado or Canada, or any other place where snow was probable then I wouldn't want it. And if I had to have it, I'd want it on it's own fuse so I could either put it on a switch and switch it off for the winter or pull the fuse for the winter.For all you Californians, ABS is great in dry traction, but terrible and bad in icy/snow conditions. I've seen SAE driving studies that show a locked tire is desirable in snow conditions to dig down to pavement....
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

I always thought ABS was standard on all models. Why wouldnt you want ABS?
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Re: (engineertwin2)

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

Quote, originally posted by engineertwin2 »For all you Californians, ABS is great in dry traction, but terrible and bad in icy/snow conditions. I've seen SAE driving studies that show a locked tire is desirable in snow conditions to dig down to pavement....if all i wanted to do was stop in a straight line this is true. Or if someone like me can drive all the time. sometimes, especially on ice, its about getting to steer around a car then it is to stop before it. most times you cant stop before it anyway so to have the ABS pump and just worry about steering around the car or making the corner wide rather then the not at all. Way better for soccer mom sally freaking out and slamming into the side of the other car.funny question... why do you need them any other time of year??? I cant remember the last time I have ABS come on in the middle of summer. I know its there if i need it but mainly I have ABS FOR the winter.
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos
engineertwin2

Re: (CAN-AWD-VIBE)

Post by engineertwin2 »

Quote, originally posted by CAN-AWD-VIBE »funny question... why do you need them any other time of year??? I cant remember the last time I have ABS come on in the middle of summer. I know its there if i need it but mainly I have ABS FOR the winter.My understanding is that stopping distance is decreased (better breaking) if you do not skid in dry conditions thanks to the rolling friction coefficient being higher than the sliding friction coefficient. In icy/snowy conditions, the rolling friction coefficient is near that of sliding friction coefficient, however the sliding friction coefficient results in more energy dissipated (in the form of heat). This combined with forward pitch of braking creates a temperature/pressure combination that can "plow" or "dig" into the snow and ice. Most icy roads are covered in just tenths of a millimeter in ice. If the temperature/pressure are high enough, the ice will melt away quickly and provide road traction. Also to note, the sliding coefficient of friction between tires and tarmac/asphalt is higher than the rolling or sliding coefficient of friction between tires and ice...
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

so what you're saying is the angle of the dangle is directionally proportional to the heat of the beat? the snow packed down iced over roads i'm talking about are covered in ice that will definitely not melt so you can get traction before you drill the car in front of you. My ice just doesn't melt that fast. So instead of sliding into that car, my ABS brakes pump away and allow me to simply turn the wheel and that car steers that way into an area (hopefully) that is safe. this is definitely a regional thing but i think that most people with snowy climate would prefer a car with abs over one with out and i also would guess that almost none of us pulls the fuse all winter.I guess I am saying that if it extends my braking distance a little on ice but provides me with control, then that is a trade of i am more then happy to make.
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Yep. Plus, if you need to swerve while stomping on the brakes, you'll still have control of the car instead of sliding straight on dry or wet road. Since we dont get a lot of snow in PA (YAY! I dont like snow. Heck, dont like temp. below 50F. LOL), ABS is nice to have all the time.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
VivaVibe

Post by VivaVibe »

The two things I wanted were AT and ABS. The used one I bought just happened to have both, and also side air bags and anti-theft installed. I'm very pleased with it.
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
TRDman

Re: POLL: Did you want ABS on your Vibe? (VivaVibe)

Post by TRDman »

I wanted ABS and side airbags; as I recall, there was only one Vibe on the entire dealer lot (this is out of roughly 20 or so total) that had both, so the other options (AT, moon n' tune, alloys, abyss, etc.) were just taken because the safety features restricted my choice of Vibes to that particular one. There were perhaps 5 Vibes with ABS on the lot; the availability on the Matrixes was no better.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

My Vibe will have ABS on it, but i personally only like it in the summer... ABS has it's place, but its not in the snow, you see the thing about ABS that makes it MORE dangerous is the fact that when a wheel locks, there HAS TO BE some sort of "outside" force to get that wheel going again.... ABS is not a "smart" system, although systems on the "high dollar" cars are getting smarter all the time, the general populous gets a VERY "dumb" system... The system only detects that a wheel has stopped spinning, and in short order pushes you up off the pedal until that wheel can begin to move again... Now if it is a front wheel, the power of the engine MAY help you do that, it may not, but, if it a rear wheel (non-AWD) all you have is friction on the ground to start that wheel(s) spinning again. At this point most of ABS's benefits fall on it's face... ESPECIALLY in SNOW... as there is very LITTLE friction between the tire and the road. So you have a system that is LOWERING your brake "line pressure" in effort to get a stopped wheel moving against a surface that has very little friction, so the system pushes you further and further off from the pedal trying to get that wheel(s) going.... all the while YOU'RE NOT STOPPING. In an AWD car it's a little different as you can USE your AWD to help you stop QUICKER by using the power going to each corner to help get/keep the wheel(s) spinning... I've lived in both Mi and in Buffalo Ny and with both a front drive VW and a AWD Subaru and i can tell you AWD does MUCH more for you than simply give you more traction in the snow, the benefits are great IF you know how to use them.... I could most likely scare the PANTS off of many on this board in my Subaru in the snow, all the while keeping my car in complete control... So my advise that i DO follow EVERY winter is, pull the ABS fuse and run without it in the winter, but definitely use it in the summer....
Celos

Post by Celos »

I bought mine way back in late 2002 and I couldn't find a base with auto, ABS, and side airbags on the lot. I ended up ordering it, which at that time didn't really matter as I was getting GM pricing and I got the same price whether the car was on the lot or not.The salesguy tried to convince me that ABS wasn't a safety feature.
MMVVibe

Post by MMVVibe »

Finding ABS, side airbags, and manual tranny together was pain in the southern region.It was so difficult I gave up looking and ordered the car. ABS, side airbags, and Stabilitrak. ABS and Stabilitrak may help avoid an accident that takes your life or changes it forever. The air bags may reduce the chances of that happening if the accident is unavoidable. Like getting T-boned by a Hummer.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i found the ABS no problem..i didnt care if i had it..with the winters we get sometimes..im glad i got the ABS
dereksheppard

Post by dereksheppard »

Yes, I absolutely wanted ABS (it's wet almost all the time here in the Northwest.) Anyway, here's an anecdote about why I'm glad I got them. It was the first big rain on the fall, and for whatever reason people always forget to slow down. A freeway interchange is a sharp right, blind, downhill curve. I'm in between two pickups making the curve when all of a sudden a cop appears at the bottom of the hill (out of his car, waving his hands to get people to stop.) A car before us had gone too fast, spun out and was in the left lane pointed the wrong way. Long story short, as the truck in front and I close in on the poor cop, the truck slams his brakes and starts spinning before crashing into the other guardrail. (Luckily he didn't skid right into the cop.) I jam the brakes, don't skid, and steer right between the cop and the truck in front. The truck behind me? As I peeked in the rear-view, he was also sliding all over. So, in a nutshell, situations like that are why I wanted ABS. (And as an aside, four wheel disc brakes.) I have a Vibe GT, btw.
ProtonXX

Re: (dereksheppard)

Post by ProtonXX »

I thought ABS was great, drove my grand Am 6 yrs with ABS and traction control. Then I drive the vibe and notice it has much more stopping power & don't realize until a year later i don't have ABS.But at the same time I moved from snowy/rainy Cleveland to No rain ever Vegas.
Dans_03Vibe

Post by Dans_03Vibe »

lol yeaim the type of person who dose off a bit when drivin loli have had my bracks lock up on me nd i hate it when that happens i use to drive my dads 2000 regal alot back in the day witch of couse had abs nd traction control but feels like ur tryin to stop a truck
Current Mods:AEM CAI,Hotchkis Lowering Springs,RK Sport CF Roof Caps(STILL NOT ON CAR),SR Racing SR7 17'Wheels,S2000 Antenna,Goerlich XLERATOR Exhaust,Audiobahn amp(non working) 2 10"subs(siting in garage)Wish List:Ground Effects BodyKit,DC Headers,New Exhaust System,New Amp,Tein Lowering Springs,Fix The Dents,New Paint