wheel bearing replacement

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
jwangelin

wheel bearing replacement

Post by jwangelin »

Hi,
Has anyone used a front wheel bearing adaptor as sold by harbor freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-front- ... 66829.html
I had one side done at the garage and am still feeling the financial pain from that. The other side is getting noisy and was wondering if this might make for a good weekend fix. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jon
'06 vibe FWD 195,00 miles
gtv237

Re: wheel bearing replacement

Post by gtv237 »

If you had an impact it might be worth it. I still don't see how that took could pull the hub though. It looks like all it could do is maybe pull a bearing.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Another cheaper option is to pull the hub yourself. Take a new bearing and the hub to a shop and have them just switch it out.

The bearing looks like a big pain to DIY.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
bowtieman427

Post by bowtieman427 »

Assuming this is for the front. I have that harbor freight tool that I use on all kinds of things, but not on the front bearing of the Vibe. I ended up taking my parts to the shop to have it pressed out and new one in. I got the hub out with a socket and hammer. I understand getting the HF tool because the shop charges a lot. My bearings came apart and for some reason the HF tool would not work.
bowtieman427

Post by bowtieman427 »

The tool should work here is a video showing how to take it out with the tool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IcUFGM0wWk
Sinusoidal

Post by Sinusoidal »

I would be surprised if that kit would pull the bearing or reinstall it. I used a 20 ton press. I have a nice Snap-on puller and I doubt that would have worked either. The adapters from the kit are handy though. Also, the outer bearing race will stay. I cut mine off with a die grinder. Be careful not to cut too far. A nice grove and then a tap with a chisel knocked it right off.
triz

Post by triz »

I find it easier to replace the whole hub. But my experience has always been with a RWD. So I couldn't say how hard it is to do on a FWD.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

I agree, don't bother with a tool to try and pull it out. Just take the spindle off, and press the bearing out. Easy, and done every day at shops.