can this be possible????????????

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
jamesmetairie

can this be possible????????????

Post by jamesmetairie »

2005 vibe , automatic tranny., about 90,000 miles.

my kid and spouse,(both drug free, sober individuals) claims they were turning a corner and the steering wheel locked up on the car.

the ignition key was not touched.

the motor was running. it was not stalled.

they braked the car until the car stopped.

then turned off the motor and re-started it .

And car drove ok.

?????????????????
ImUrOBGYN

Re: can this be possible????????????

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I can't think of anything that would cause those exact conditions. Well, other than they turned the corner too fast for street conditions/traction, (perhaps there was oil or some other spill on the street? I've actually had this happen.), as they understeered, she slammed on the brakes causing further understeer. Once they came to a stop, car was turned off. Starts car and drives away.

Has it happened since then? Did they lose steering, park, then turn it off? How did she park it with no steering? Or, she lost steering, braked and immediately turned it off? Did it drive fine the rest of the way? Have you thrown the front on jackstands and checked the steering components? Have you been back the corner she attempted to mad, tyte drift 'round, yo? ;)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Is the lock operating normally? Was there ever an issue with that lock?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
GOF

Post by GOF »

Pay close attention to power steering components. I have seen this when ps quit. The sudden lose of steering assist makes it seem like the steering locked.
trb

Post by trb »

James,

Got your message. To me it sounds like the two thoughts already mentioned. Either a fault with the actual steering wheel lock, or a temporary failure of the power steering system. Did the steering wheel lock, as in could not be turned at all, period, or was it just suddenly very hard to turn? I'm thinking if the wheel actually locked, that would have involved running over a curb or into a ditch or something before they could have stopped. Has the power steering ever been serviced?
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Yeah, definitely need some more detailed infos. My curiosity is peaked.

I had an old K series Dodge Aries years ago. I recall picking up a friend after school in it. Went to take a left hand turn and it just stopped steering. The steering wheel still turned, the car did not. Went part way into a ditch. Backed up and realized I could only turn one way, but had to be very careful doing it and could not turn full lock. Even then, it could stop steering at any second. Needless to say, it was an interesting trip home across town. I did manage to get back home without any damage to the car. The same, however, cannot be said about a couple yards including my neighbors. :D

I've also had an old Supra who's steering rack was literally sliding inches left and right as you drove/steered. (Oil heavily covered the steering rack and its rubber bushings for what was probably years. Never good for bushings.) Had to drive it home through some seriously windy backroads. Very eerie feeling. :oops:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
jamesmetairie

Post by jamesmetairie »

When it happened they were turning a corner slowly. She braked till the car stopped.
It was raining hard at the time and I,m betting water got on the serp belt and it slipped.

the car has never been wrecked.
the power steering and all the fornt end parts are original.
all rust free.
they car drives almost straight .
the tires wear evenly.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I want to say it will probably never happen again if the belt slipped, but if there's any chance the locking mechanism is messed up, I would replace it. You do not want to lose steering. It's too bad she didn't try to manhandle the wheel and verify the problem.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
GOF

Post by GOF »

I wonder what condition the belt and tensioner are in.