Strange Brake Issue

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
jgarcia408

Strange Brake Issue

Post by jgarcia408 »

Im hoping someone here might be able to help with this problem Im having. The other day when I went to leave for work my cars brake lights were on. I got in and pressed the brake and when I released the brake they turned off. That same day I started to feel something different when driving. When on the highway it felt as if at points the engine would briefly lose a little power while driving. When I got off the highway and was driving in the city, I didnt notice any such feeling. Today I started wondering if maybe for some reason the brake was engaging slightly on its own giving the feeling of the car losing power. It hasnt happened since and when driving home that day I didnt feel anything.

Unfortunately I dont have the funds to have this checked out professionally right now and probably wont for a week or so.

Can anyone explain why this might happen?

Car is a 2004 Vibe Base Model
vibrologist

Re: Strange Brake Issue

Post by vibrologist »

Maybe the caliper got stuck for a while.

This is what often happens: there is grease on the sliders that allow the caliper to move in and out a little bit.When you let go of the brake the rotors will push the calipers a tiny little bit apart and thus let go of the rotors. If the grease on the sliders has dried up or when corrosion has started on the sliders then the brakes will drag instead of making room for the rotors.
In addition, if the brake fluid is old and has accumulated moisture and air and the brakes are dragging then the heat could expand any moisture or trapped air inside the calipers. The effect would be the same as applying the brakes ever so slightly.
At the minimum you should clean the rotors, calipers, in particular the sliders and give these sliders a fresh coat of hi temp grease. Also replace the brake fluid.

The brake light comes on when the fluid in the reservoir drops below a certain level. Between the lines I am reading that your brakes need new pads and rotors. As pads and rotors wear the fluid level drops.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Sounds like a brake pedal switch. If it sticks your brake lights will stay on and your torque converter will unlock.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

gtv237 wrote:Sounds like a brake pedal switch. If it sticks your brake lights will stay on and your torque converter will unlock.
That makes sense. I did not know that the pedal switch gives a signal to the torque converter.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
jgarcia408

Post by jgarcia408 »

Thanks you guys. Sorry I read your posts when they were written, but couldnt reply because I was temporarily locked out of my acct on genvibe when I updated my log in info.

I actually had to leave town the following day I made that post so havent been able to check anything. I should be back tomorrow and will take a look. If I have any questions I will be back.

Thanks again.