front wheel bearings longivity=-????=-

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
jamesmetairie

front wheel bearings longivity=-????=-

Post by jamesmetairie »

on average how many miles do you guys figure a 2005 Vibe gets outta original front wheel bearings ?
Raven

Re: front wheel bearings longivity=-????=-

Post by Raven »

Our '06 has 260,000 km or 160,000 miles and we only replaced the right front around 100,000 miles. The left is still going strong.
jamesmetairie

Post by jamesmetairie »

our 04 corolla needed both rear around 90,000 miles.
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

do you live/drive on a dirt road often? if yes, wheel bearing life expectancy is reduced.

do you drive on crappy pot hole ridden roads? if yes, wheel bearing life expectancy is reduced.

do you drive in water deep enough to submerge the wheel bearings? if yes, wheel bearing life expectancy is reduced.

do you drive on completely smooth, clean roads? if yes, wheel bearing life expectancy is infinite.

there are no definitive answers on how long or how many miles wheel bearings last.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Anyone have thoughts on the best brand for replacements?

Timken?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Bearings are a pain because, even if you're a DIY'er, not everyone has a press, and the front bearings need to be pressed in and out. My front left went somewhere around 100k. Others seem good. I'd ALWAYS get the more expensive bearing of the choices. At Advance we sold National bearings, and they're a good brand. Even come with a two year warranty. But like said above, conditions will make or break a car.
Mojo72

Post by Mojo72 »

I'm over 158,000 miles and have noticed a "whirring" noise from the direction of the RF wheel over the past few days while driving the freeway. Based upon past experience with my PITA 2002 Ford Explorer, I'm thinking its the wheel bearing. Does anyone have an idea of how much longer I can realistically drive it and how much I can expect to pay (dealer and or non-dealer) for a replacement?
2004 1.8L (1ZZ-FE) Vibe (Lava Red)16" Michelin Destiny tires
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Mojo, I don't know the cost, but you can ask the dealer service and your trusty neighborhood mechanic for an estimate.

It appears a repair is needed. Why would you postpone it? Do you like the whirring noise?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Wheel bearings are essential to safe operation of your car. The longer you wait, the worse they'll get. When wheel bearings completely fail, the wheel will either flop around in the fender or completely separate from the car. Get it fixed asap. The longest I've driven around on bad wheel bearings is 2-3 weeks.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Mojo72

Post by Mojo72 »

Thanks for the quick feedback and estimates. It's never easy to squeeze a repair into an already busy schedule, but sometime next week works.

Have a great weekend!
2004 1.8L (1ZZ-FE) Vibe (Lava Red)16" Michelin Destiny tires
clownshoes

Post by clownshoes »

I've replaced 2 so far. 1 front and 1 rear with AC Delco I believe. Now I have another one out. 241K on the clock, highway driving only.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

Improperly aligned or tire(s) with an already cupped tread pattern can also simulate that maddening "whoo-whoo" noise bad wheels bearings emit. I bought my Vibe used thinking it had a bad rear wheel bearing, only to discover one of the rear tires was cupped from misuse by the previous owner.