Anyone get a call from 999-999-9999?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Jahntassa

Anyone get a call from 999-999-9999?

Post by Jahntassa »

Yup. I do not kid. My cellphone got a call from 999-999-9999 on July 5, at 5:55pm.Bets that it's a virus dialing random numbers? Only one of my cellphones got it, a Verizon LG 4400.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
ragingfish

Re: Anyone get a call from 999-999-9999? (Jahntassa)

Post by ragingfish »

Weird...I've heard upon occassion of a blocked caller ID displaying as all nines...but more commonly it's all zeros...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
kostby

Post by kostby »

I got TWO calls from 111-111-1111 a few minutes apart on my Verizon unit.My personal conspiracy theory is that someone has a 'war-games dialer' to verify which cell numbers are active for future telemarketing use. Seems I read somewhere that they're supposedly threatening to PUBLISH cell numbers since state and federal 'no call lists' have pretty well gutted telemarketing to landlines.Of course, my cell phone has an OFF button.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Jahntassa

Re: Anyone get a call from 999-999-9999? (ragingfish)

Post by Jahntassa »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »Weird...I've heard upon occassion of a blocked caller ID displaying as all nines...but more commonly it's all zeros...Yes..I'd say the same, but at 5:55 on July 5th? Too many of the same number...i've seen a few computer viruses set to go off at times like that...
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

ahhhhh...didn't pick up on the all number connection...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
slbpsi63

Post by slbpsi63 »

some telemarketers number come up as a 999-999-9999 or 111-111-1111 number. It it common. I get them all of the time.
Base Vibe, Shadow Monotone, 5sp.
ebslopp

Post by ebslopp »

Quote, originally posted by Jahntassa »Yup. I do not kid. My cellphone got a call from 999-999-9999 on July 5, at 5:55pm.Bets that it's a virus dialing random numbers? Only one of my cellphones got it, a Verizon LG 4400. Did you answer?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: Anyone get a call from 999-999-9999? (slbpsi63)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

I'm working for a telephone cie, and with some kind of services (ISDN PRI to name it) the caller can program himself the calling name and number directly in the phone system.Some telemarketer put some weird number like 555 555 5555 or simply block the calling party number.But even if the caller can put what he wants on the call display, all call can be trackable, and some billing numer cannot be changed by the end user.
ebslopp

Re: Anyone get a call from 999-999-9999? (Sub-Vibe-R)

Post by ebslopp »

Quote, originally posted by Sub-Vibe-R »I'm working for a telephone cie, and with some kind of services (ISDN PRI to name it) the caller can program himself the calling name and number directly in the phone system.Some telemarketer put some weird number like 555 555 5555 or simply block the calling party number.But even if the caller can put what he wants on the call display, all call can be trackable, and some billing numer cannot be changed by the end user.You are correct, it is very easy to change your ANI(Caller-ID Number). However, thanks to a feature called SS7, the billing number is always the same. You could call your cell phone provider and they might have access to the billing number if they are compatible with SS7. I do think that it's weird that they would change it to a number like 999-999-9999. Normally when someone wants to hide their identity they will use a real number, because it's less obvious that something fishy is going on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
wicked1981

Re: Anyone get a call from 999-999-9999? (ragingfish)

Post by wicked1981 »

I got the 000-000-0000 on the home phone. Didnt answer.
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Funny you guys mention this. When I get a blocked call, it comes up as "private number" on my cell phone. I got 3 in a row this morning while I was driving a work truck to a job site. I'd answer and say "hello, hello, hello" and there was no reply, but I'd hear background noises. After the third one in a row, I yelled into the phone "well if you aren't going to say anything, quit f***ing calling me!" They haven't called back yet. Maybe you have to answer and say those magic words?I got a funny wrong number call about 2 weeks ago too. Some building contractor from Arizona kept leaving me voicemails about getting a drywalling contract for a shopping mall in my area. After the third voicemail, I called him back. He must be someone important because I got his secretary. I told her that I'd like to speak with him, and after a minute or so, she put me through. I was really mad and was going to get rude about this whole thing because it was annoying me, but the guy was too nice and apologetic about it so I couldn't spaz out on him. Turns out he was dialing the right number, but someone gave him the wrong number to call.One more. About a year ago, some lawyer kept calling me leaving messages for some woman telling her that she won her welfare case and would be getting more money (that made me angry enough). After the third message, the guy was getting snotty because I wasn't returning the calls. So I called back one time at the number he left and got his answering machine. I left one nasty message complete with multiple swear words, told him he was wasting my cell phone minutes, and threatened to sue him for harassment if he ever called me again. Never heard from him again either. I guess sometimes you just have to be a meanie?
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

I got the call again today. Turned out to be AmEx. Which is odd... because usually it shows up as "unknown". I wonder if there was a software change somewhere that caused it... And this time..it wasn't at 5:55.
Kari

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by Kari »

I try to be nice and just inform them that they have the wrong number, if someone has given someone else the wrong number to call, or someone accidentally wrote it down wrong, whatever. It's probably not their fault.However, I got one last year for the person who used to live in my dorm room, and it was a creditor who refused to believe that I was not Tasha. I told her I wasn't, and she said, "Come on, honey, I know you're her." No I'm not. LOL She refused to believe me, no matter what I said. That was kind of strange. Whoever Tasha is, she must have signed up to win every car they put in the mall that year, because I get about 10 telemarketing calls for her for every one call for me.
GenVibe Global Moderator
Stang2Vibe

Re: (Kari)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

LOL. Sounds like "Tasha" has some trouble paying her bills. If they were that insistant, you should have just said "oh ok, you got me. but I refuse to pay the money I owe you so you'll just have to sue me" and then hang up. You have to have a little fun right back with them. And I try to be nice about wrong number calls the first and even the second time. Call the wrong number three times on me in a row and you're gonna be getting an ear beating. I don't have time to chat with people like Special Ed. I can't figure out why these people kept leaving the messages on my voice mail, my recorded message says my name and I clearly don't sound like a woman. After hearing my name at least 3 times when listening to the recorded message and that is not the person you are calling, don't you think that you just might have the wrong number?
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
ColonelPanic

Re: (Stang2Vibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Someone with less than perfect credit obviously had my landline number before I got it. Had one call where the power company was threatening to cut my electricity off due to whoever not paying their bills... Told them they could go ahead and do it, since they weren't even the utility my power comes from, and I'm not the person or the address they were looking for.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Stang2Vibe

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

There ya go! That's the way to do it .