What is an easy to use picture hosting site?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
awdVibeNoobie

What is an easy to use picture hosting site?

Post by awdVibeNoobie »

Since there isn't a gallery on this forum anymore, I'm wondering what is a easy to use picture hosting site?
03 awd Vibe my backup vehicle
SlammedNiss

Re: What is an easy to use picture hosting site?

Post by SlammedNiss »

2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The gallery was never someplace regular members like us could post pictures, it was only available to admins (and maybe moderators) Tended to have pictures from SEMA shows that had Vibes, or some the early genvibe mega meets. Some of the gallery images can still be viewed if you find the right snapshot at https://web.archive.org/web/*/genvibe.com

My preference for pictures to be referenced in forum posts is to upload the pictures to the thread, using the attachments tab under the general test area when writing a post. There is a file size limit, and since modern digital cameras take huge pictures, you have to resize or crop the pictures to get the file size under the limit, and this is trouble for some people. However, there are a lot of previously really useful threads here that no longer have pictures because the originator hosted them off site, and over the years lost interest and stopped hosting them , now they're gone forever. So far, images uploaded seem to still be here, even from members who are long gone.

Although, there was a forum software update that at one point shuffled some uploaded pictures. The uploaded pictures are still here if you know where to look, but some of the links got messed up. Ragingfish, a severely prolific and fearless member who isn't here anymore wrote up a ton of how-to's, but since he used external image hosting, those pics are lost to the ether.
awdVibeNoobie

Post by awdVibeNoobie »

If time allows this weekend, I will create an account with imgur and upload a couple of pics of my Vibe and post them here.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

You could always use another forum's site if you belong to more than one (almost all of us do). Since cardomain.com changed their format some 5 years ago or so, I lost several pics that were uploaded there. I now use SilveradoSierra.com since I bought my 2014 Chevy truck and chose that community to join when getting involved with the trucking world (way too many truck forums out there!). They have a huge photo gallery and I simply upload pics there and copy/paste here when I need to include pics with a post. With the truck industry still growing I doubt that site will go anytime soon. It works great! :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

tpollauf wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 am You could always use another forum's site if you belong to more than one (almost all of us do). Since cardomain.com changed their format some 5 years ago or so, I lost several pics that were uploaded there. I now use SilveradoSierra.com since I bought my 2014 Chevy truck and chose that community to join when getting involved with the trucking world (way too many truck forums out there!). They have a huge photo gallery and I simply upload pics there and copy/paste here when I need to include pics with a post. With the truck industry still growing I doubt that site will go anytime soon. It works great! :D
The only problem with that is you have to be careful as a lot of sites won't allow you to hotlink pics to another forum. Not saying all are like that, but several all.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

What I've been doing for my image hosting is posting them to the GV facebook group. I then open the image up in a separate tab and copy/paste that URL to here using the [img ] [/ img] feature.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

tpollauf wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 am I now use SilveradoSierra.com .... It works great! :D
An FYI, when I use my Win10 laptop, I see your pictures in chrome and firefox, but when I read genvibe using chrome on my android phone, all your silverado hosted pics show up as broken image links. Likely some security setting on my phone, but thought you'd want to know of the possibility
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

joatmon wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:08 am all your silverado hosted pics show up as broken image links. Likely some security setting on my phone, but thought you'd want to know of the possibility
Thanks. That's good to know!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
awdVibeNoobie

Post by awdVibeNoobie »

tpollauf wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 am You could always use another forum's site if you belong to more than one (almost all of us do). Since cardomain.com changed their format some 5 years ago or so, I lost several pics that were uploaded there.
That's what I did.

Wow I forgot about cardomain! I use to use that site years ago (10+ years).