Diminshed Value claim

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
jake75

Diminshed Value claim

Post by jake75 »

Could be an issue that someone here has encountered. A relative has a new Honda Odyssey less than 9 months old with 6,000 miles. Got hit by someone who ran a red light. Damage was about $7,000 to repair. While the repair made it "good as new" that vehicle now has a sort of "scarlet letter" and its value is substantially less than a similar vehicle never wrecked and repaired. Looking for a recommendation for an appraiser that can offer an expert opinion in regard to that diminished value to document an insurance claim, or any other information you might think helpful. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
sideshowalan

Re: Diminshed Value claim

Post by sideshowalan »

Diminished value laws vary from state to state and circumstances.

Is this in OH and is your relative making the claim to their own carrier or the other persons?
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
jake75

Post by jake75 »

In Ohio and is a claim against the other person's insurance carrier. My relative spoke with one company that said the claim would be a substantial amount and was told they would handle the claim for an upfront fee of $450 but no guarantee of results. If I were that company I would take claims on a contingent basis - i.e. we don't get paid unless you get paid.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
trb

Post by trb »

Before they determined that my 10 GT was totaled, the insurance company adjuster mentioned that they would be considering diminished value for it also, even before I mentioned anything about it. I think it was in addition to the repair cost, so if the repair + diminished value exceeded their threshold, then they would just total it and save me the hassle of having a repaired vehicle.

Good luck on it. This is certainly a case where it would be warranted.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Diminished value is owed in OH but your relative may have to provide the evaluation to the other carrier.

Have your relative tell the other carrier that they're making a diminished value claim.

Depending on the carrier, they'll either just pay it out using their own formula or ask your relative to prove the diminished value amount.
If they put the burden on the relative they then have to use one of the companies that provides that valuation service. $450 is excessive for that kind of work, have them shop around.

-Former insurance adjuster
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)