GPS on Windshiled illegal in 28 states

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
jake75

GPS on Windshiled illegal in 28 states

Post by jake75 »

I just read an article that said mounting your GPS on the windshield (or anything else) is illegal in most states. Reason is that it obscures your vision.
I don't think it materially obscures my vision and in fact is no different than having it sit on top of the dashboard, or even worse in a position where you have to take your eyes off the road to see it (including a built in GPS). Anyone here ever ticketed for that "violation". [And what about all that stuff people hang from their rear view mirrors?] For years I have said we just have too damn many laws in this country. If strictly enforced we would all be in jail or bankrupt from paying the fines.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
ImUrOBGYN

Re: GPS on Windshiled illegal in 28 states

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

What it is, is another excuse available to the officer's discretion to pull you over and/or to fine you. What they should do is mark an area of the windshield where a gps would be allowed so as not to obscure too much of your vision. This would cut down on the few who like to stick thiers in bad places where it does block their vision or could cause an accident if it fell.

FYI, you're not supposed to hang stuff from your rearview.

IMO, however, I completely agree the law is horses#it.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Too many ridiculous laws limiting us to drive our vehicles the way we want to. Hell. you should see my dashboard in my service van :o Well actually ... you CAN'T see it, and that is sometimes a problem when it comes to using the defrost! As long as we are safe and comfortable driving our vehicles, then leave us alone.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

meh. I never mounted my GPS or phone to the windshield, so I don't really care if its illegal or not. I worked for a long time in an area where an empty windshield mount or even the ring left on the glass by the suction cup was a clue, gave the smash and grabbers incentive to target your car

Maybe it's not illegal in those states because they think it will obscure the vision of the driver using it, it could easily be because it might distract some fool driver in another car who tries to see what movie you're watching.,
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

I've known it was illegal in California but never really looked to closely at the laws to care. CHP never cared about the racket my studded tires made through Huntington Beach either, so I'd say they have better things to do...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)