Anyone using Windows 8?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Doug14

Anyone using Windows 8?

Post by Doug14 »

Just wondering if anyone here is using Windows 8, if so what browser are you using? I have a lot of annoying addons and other quirks. Also, what virus protection software are you using?
Raven

Re: Anyone using Windows 8?

Post by Raven »

Google Chrome, Ad-Aware and AdBlock. Chrome uses a lot less resources than IE.
Last edited by Raven on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I use Windows 8.1 (it was a free update from Windows 8).
My primary web browser is Chrome with "AdBlock Plus" and "Bookmarks Menu". As Raven said it's a resource hog, but on my main computer it's not a problem.

For Virus protection I use the one included with Windows 8 called "Windows Defender". It updates it self in the background, and I've never had a problem. Vista was likely the last time one of my computers caught a virus.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

8.1 and I still don't like windows. I use chrome, and avast right now, usually use AVG free.

I use a netbook and the side bar keeps coming up on me when I'm playing a game full screen.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

8.1, Chrome with Adblock Plus, and Windows Defender.
Image  Image
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Firefox, adblock plus, malwarebytes
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Well being one who usually does NOT like change, AND having an IT son who likes to control your life, My computer miraculously had windows 8 on it one day when I booted it up ... and I was lost!!! Had to consult with Junior just to get me up & going :x Anyways he has it set up now and Chrome is the browser. Like others here, I also run Adblock Plus & a s h i t l o a d of other stuff that I haven't a clue what they do. It's sort of nice having built in IT support living in my house :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

tpollauf wrote:Well being one who usually does NOT like change, AND having an IT son who likes to control your life, My computer miraculously had windows 8 on it one day when I booted it up ... and I was lost!!! Had to consult with Junior just to get me up & going :x Anyways he has it set up now and Chrome is the browser. Like others here, I also run Adblock Plus & a s h i t l o a d of other stuff that I haven't a clue what they do. It's sort of nice having built in IT support living in my house :)
my wife loves it also, i been tinkering with computers since I was 16. I always get called to help family and neighbors with their problems. Nothing wrong with being a big geek :lol:

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Awesome quick responses everyone. So I will ditch IE for chrome or Mozilla. Just running a small notebook for school right now only 2gs of RAM so I'm trying to get the most out of it. Currently have the free trial of Norton but I believe its using a large amount of memory when compared to other protection. I plan to invest in ad block or whatever and have had good experience with avg. Thanks all!
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Alright, I've made the switch to Chrome, what an improvement! no more stupid hyperlinks and related search bar when I haven't searched anything. I am in the process of downloading the Windows 8.1 update and have a month left on my Norton antivirus so ill run that out before I purchase new software. Thanks again for advice, if anyone has any more opinions regarding Windows 8 and its features I'd love to discuss them !
REN69

Post by REN69 »

Chrome is definitely better than any version IE will throw in..

and just for the lulz...

1984 Supra RWD - my beater -- 2004 Vibe AWD - wife's beater -- 2005 Corolla XRS - my daily
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I'm using Chrome as a browser, and just Malwarebytes (but the professional version *magical finger wiggles and "ooooo" noises*

Windows 8.1 is making me die a little on the inside with each passing day. I don't know how determined I am to tough it out, I may have to "downgrade" back to 7 because it has to reload every file in the directory if I close "My PC" and then reopen.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

lannvouivre wrote: I may have to "downgrade" back to 7 because it has to reload every file in the directory if I close "My PC" and then reopen.
NEGATIVE ........ If you have windows 8, there is a way to have the look and operation of windows 7 on your desktop. My son has my 'puter set up as such so I can still plug along as if it were genuine windows 7 but is actually windows 8. Not sure how he did it but there is a way and it does work :D Hitting the "Microsoft window" key on my keyboard (yeah I still operate on a desktop!) will switch it from win 8 to win 7 (and vise versa)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Mark

Post by Mark »

I realize this thread is already kinda old, but Classic Shell is the answer to your Windoze 8/8.1 woes.
http://www.classicshell.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That and Firefox and/or Chrome will give you a Windows 7-like environment while still preserving/enhancing the Windows 8/8.1 performance improvements.

I bought my current windows 8 pc a year and a half ago, the first and only time I used IE was to download Chrome, then I used that to download Firefox and Classic Shell.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
bountybuddy

Post by bountybuddy »

I am using Windows 8 and I hate it. It came with my computer when I bought it new. My son said he would download Windows 7 but my wife and I were not able to get over to see him. I think I found someone else that might change it for me. I use Avast anti virus and like it very much. I've used it for years and never had a problem with it and it does a great job protecting y computer. It's also free.