Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada"

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
ragingfish

Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada"

Post by ragingfish »

Very interesting article...I see I'm not alone! Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (PDF, 1.08 MB)
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
ragingfish

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (silverawd26)

Post by ragingfish »

Well, ok, my reasons are a bit more reasonable. LOL!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Vibe Rater

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (ragingfish)

Post by Vibe Rater »

Why come to Canada? In 2 words, free stuff. You'll pay for this 'free stuff' 10 times over through obscene taxes, but what the heck. Our Prime Minister, Jean Chretien, makes George W Bush look like a freakin' genius. Constant snivelling and whining from Quebec for more 'free stuff', as they prepare to separate. Democray is something we dream about, as King Jean wrestles his cabinet and caucus into complete and shameful submission. Pope Jean calls for a 'free vote' in parliament with one hand on the trap door. The 'Right' is split into 2 parties, so the Liberals get elected by default every 4 (or 3) years, depending on the polls. No term limits, so senile old farts keep getting elected, as the oposing vote is splintered among a vast array of parties. Less than 40% popular vote in a Canadian election is a overwhelming sweep landslide victory. Every time Chretien opens his mouth, the entire country cringes. Sure. C'mon up!
ArcsVibe

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (Vibe Rater)

Post by ArcsVibe »

Figures a guy from Toronto, Ontario shooting off his mouth about Quebec.........Canada is a great country, so is the US but its about time people want to COME here instead of leaving Peace out people!
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:Why come to Canada? In 2 words, free stuff. You'll pay for this 'free stuff' 10 times over through obscene taxes, but what the heck. Who said anything about free stuff? There is no such thing as free. And I'm not coming for "free stuff." I'm coming for a better life. A new experience.quote:Our Prime Minister, Jean Chretien, makes George W Bush look like a freakin' genius.Bush doesn't even look like a genious next to a rock. It's against the laws of nature. A Bush is about as useful, as well, a bush!quote:Constant snivelling and whining from Quebec for more 'free stuff', as they prepare to separate.No comment.

2009 PONTIAC G8
ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Ragingfish ,You are a gentleman and a scholar!Thanks for the "no comment" on the Quebec thing Peace out!
Genvibe Global Moderator
VOTM April 06

ragingfish

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (ArcsVibe)

Post by ragingfish »

quote:You are a gentleman and a scholar!Why thank you! I like to consider myself just your friendly neighborhood Fridays server. quote:Thanks for the "no comment" on the Quebec thing No problem. But is it true that the majority of Quebecans have strong contempt for Americans and non French-Canadians?

2009 PONTIAC G8
ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Hi Ragingfish,Myself personally I don't and I don't know of many people that do. Most Quebecers are bilingual and just appreciate their culture. The majority of French speaking Quebecers want a stronger Quebec within a stronger Canada ( we have a new provincial gov't who is pro-Canada ) The whole thing is always blown way out of proportion it makes us laugh here. As for the "strong contempt for Americans and non French-Canadians" again I would have to disagree, don't listen to the minority of idiots!
Genvibe Global Moderator
VOTM April 06

Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

Sorry for injecting some facts into the thread. Quebec has been a snivelling whining pain in the (removed) for decades. THAT is a fact. Believe it or not.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

quote:Sorry for injecting some facts into the thread. Quebec has been a snivelling whining pain in the (removed) for decades. THAT is a fact. Believe it or not.That's your fact, not necessarily actual fact. Not all of us think like Vibe Rater, in Canada.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
ArcsVibe

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (AtWork)

Post by ArcsVibe »

Thank you ladies I am glad not everyone thinks alike about us in Quebec.
Genvibe Global Moderator
VOTM April 06

VibeSalsa

Post by VibeSalsa »

Thanks for the good words ArcsVibe!And thank you ladies too!! Good to hear we have good Ontarians neighbours too!Merci!
2003 Base Vibe, Salsa, 5-speed, Power PackageLow pitch hornPic of my Vibe
Chris

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (VibeSalsa)

Post by Chris »

Hey, c'mon up! There are many pos and negs about both countries but (Canadian national anthem playing in the background) I like Canada the best... maybe because I was born here Loads of space, opportunity galore, and the most beautiful landscape in the world (did I say I'm biased?)Re Quebec... remember there are 'red necks' everywhere... both in and outside of Quebec, Ontario, BC... I mean, we all gotta complain about something! Let's just let this one rest, eh?By the way (maybe I missed it) where are you headed?
Chris Car: Base Abyss Vibe 5 spd + Mags & Power Pkg - no modsBike: Suzuki GSXR1100 4xK&N's V&H pipe and headers
rasermon

Post by rasermon »

quote:Very interesting article...I see I'm not alone! Raging, why do you want to move to Canada?
Satellite 03 GT Retirement ----> Moderator for Genvibe.com 2002 - 2007 A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says (removed)
rasermon

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (AtWork)

Post by rasermon »

quote:yeah, besides the " beer and babes "... is this our rep ? I can't access the article that's mentioned in the top post Mr. Ragingfish, - is there another way I can find it ?I converted it to a pic. Hope you can read it ok.

Attached files
Satellite 03 GT Retirement ----> Moderator for Genvibe.com 2002 - 2007 A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says (removed)
Vibe Rater

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (rasermon)

Post by Vibe Rater »

LOL! Sure! C'mon up Ragingfish! Question. Where is it illegal , punishable by imprisonment, if you post a sign not in the langauge determined by the government? Iran you say? Iraq? Saudi Arabia? Libya? Sorry, it's Quebec. That's right. If you post a sign in Quebec that is not in French, even if you live in an area that is overwhelmingly English speaking, you can be shut down and sent to jail. Yes it has happened.If you're ready to make a life altering decision to move to another country, you'd better have some facts. Sorry to bust into the utopian dream love in being described to you here. Canadians are grossly over taxed. You will work to keep MUCH less of your money (if you can find work that is). Universal health care? Yeah right. Get in line bud. Don't bother looking for a family practitioner. There aren't any taking patients. They've all fled to the U.S. If you're sick, you're in big trouble.Back to the country of Quebec. In the construction industry? Don't bother applying for contracts in Quebec. The government doesn't allow non Quebecers to even bid on projects inside Quebec. They are free to bid outside of Quebec of course.Canada is a bilingual country with 2 official languages (Chretien doesn't speak either of them), oh, except for Quebec of course. It's french only.Taxpayers spend BILLIONS to promote bilingualism across Canada, even where there is absolutely no interest in it.Thinking about a government job someday? Forget it, unless you are bilingual.Note the posts supporting Quebec come from Quebec or very near Quebec? Ottawa/Kingston for example. These people have no clue about the real world. They have lived in a government subsidized state their entire lives and the vast majority work for the govermnment.Quote: 'But is it true that the majority of Quebecans have strong contempt for Americans and non French-Canadians?'For the most part, yes. Visit Quebec. They are rude and ignorant if you aren't french. Quebec's economy is a dumpster, and would be much worse if our corrupt government didn't dump in billions to appease them. Decades of separatist threats and protectionist policies from Quebec have forced many companies and individuals to abandon Quebec. During the Iraq war, poll after poll demonstrated more than 75% of Quebecers were against the U.S.A. If you take Quebec out of the equasion, Canadians supported the U.S.A. We have a federal political party in Canada that has seats in the commons - as a matter of fact, until recently they were the official opposition - called the Bloc Quebecois. Their party platform was to facilitate the separation of Quebec from Canada. Treason? Oops. More facts. Sorry. Arcsvibe felt it necessary to point out that the new government in Quebec is 'Pro Canada'. Just the fact that that is noteworthy speaks volumes, don't you think?Sure, c'mon up Ragingfish. Don't forget your skills.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Vibe Rater:You appear to be the only one on here who seemingly hates every aspect of his country. Wonder what that's all about?

2009 PONTIAC G8
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

I'm no where near Bilingual - English only. I'm functioning well (working for a private company in a Fed gov't department) in Ottawa being unilingual. The French I work with all speak English in my office. We don't seem to have any problems getting along.Even when I worked in retail (ahem- not gov't) I was unilingual in downtown Ottawa doing fine.I will admit that I do not like several Quebec policies, but to be so rude about it, I don't understand, but then I'm not from Toronto.
GenVibe Global Moderator

joatmon

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada"

Post by joatmon »

quote:Vibe Rater: You appear to be the only one on here who seemingly hates every aspect of his country. Wonder what that's all about?Really, how can you stand to put up with it for one more day? If you're so dissatisfied with the way things are where you live, what are you doing to either:- make it a better place or- move to a better placeThere's stuff wrong everywhere, it's up to people to work towards correcting the problems. It's easy to find fault, complain and be angry, it's hard to do something about it.-------------------------------------------------------------------As far as odd laws go, here's a place that lists some strange US laws http://www.dolls-n-daggers.com/Wisdom.html#BL
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

I don't think this thread is bad enough to lock. We all have differences of opinion. I'm not upset at Vibe Rater either. He's entitled to his opinion, however wrong I think it is. If he has seriously offended any Quebecois on the site then maybe it should be locked... but I haven't seen that expressed yet.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

quote:Atwork.. that was not for you, it was for the people from Windsor and Sarnia who come over here and almost kill people. You should see the drivers in Ottawa - no wonder people get road rage!
GenVibe Global Moderator

VibeSalsa

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (Sputnik)

Post by VibeSalsa »

I was born in Quebec and I'm a pure French canadian, Canadian or Québécois.... I'm the 3 of it. At school, our Government of Quebec, put some English courses from the age of 7 at elementary to 19 in college. So I learned English at school, and I think it's good. Early, I went with my parents to many places where English is spoken and I learned a little bit more: Florida, New Brunswick, Ottawa ...At the end of University, I went to a 6 weeks immersion program in New Brunswick. And, after that, I was able to have a real conversation in English with no problems. Maybe I'm not the better bilingual person in Canada, but I'm OK. And I hope to speak Spanish in a near future...When I take vacations, I like to go outside Quebec to see other cultures and talk some English. So, in the last years, I went to these places in Canada: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Ottawa, Niagara Falls, Toronto. Also, I went to Maine, Florida, Missouri, Pensylvania and Ohio...And what I can say...The people of Ontario (except Ottawa) were not as friendly as the others in the Atlantic Provinces... And now, with a comporment like Vibe Rater, now I understand!!!Just venting...
2003 Base Vibe, Salsa, 5-speed, Power PackageLow pitch hornPic of my Vibe
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

quote:Vibe Rater:You appear to be the only one on here who seemingly hates every aspect of his country. Wonder what that's all about?You're wrong. I never implied that. I just hate the stupid, corrupt, arrogant, liberal government. You know nothing about me. The quebecois keep trying to paint me into their 'Toronto' corner. That's hilarious. The only person on this board being attacked in this thread is me. Go back and read it. Typical. I always look where it's coming from and dismiss it. They just don't get it. Quebec is a welfare basket case. I won't bore you with more facts. Don't pat yourselves too hard on the back for learning english. I couldn't care less if you do or not. English is only the most globally accepted language of commerce on the planet. There are many other languages far more important to learn than french, that's for certain. Try spanish for one. French is just not that important any more (except in the canadian government) and becoming less and less important evey day, in the real world. Get over it.
ArcsVibe

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (VibeSalsa)

Post by ArcsVibe »

I must admit that now I am very offended by Vibe Rater. The trashing of my province is his right but we are NOT all like the way he describes it. Do I agree with the language laws in Quebec, NO, but I still manage to live and work and play here. Do I love my country and province? OUI! YES! SI! I would not leave here ever! I will fight for my right to belong to Canada but if it was up to Vibe Rater and people like him damn right I would want to leave, we are not wanted. They are trying to keep their language and culture alive, again with laws that I don't agree with but still manage to get by with. Hey Vibe Rater, does your Canada include Quebec? I can understand the desire by some here to leave when they hear people like you shoot off your mouth about something you have ZERO knowledge in.Do you live here? Calling the French rude, they are not the rude French from France here, and yes we did not support the war BUT NEITHER DID THE REST OF CANADA, get your facts straight bro. I invite you to come down to my city and hang out, see the people and live the experience and I can bet you that you will not want to leave. I am sorry about venting or flaming but I am so sick and tired of this crap.By the way Vibe Rater, I am not French but an English speaking Quebecer of Italian origin-THAT IS WHAT I LOVE ABOUT QUEBEC.Merci and bonne soiree ! Thank you and good night.
Genvibe Global Moderator
VOTM April 06

rasermon

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada"

Post by rasermon »

I have a Idea!Ragingfish and Vibe Rater should trade places for 6 months.When the both of you are finished, I would like a full report posted.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:You're wrong. I never implied that. I just hate the stupid, corrupt, arrogant, liberal government. You know nothing about me.I'm not claiming to know anything about you. And I didn't say you DID hate things. I just said you seem to hate things...I made sure to not imply I knew the truth -- but merely was pointing out how I interpreted it.quote:The only person on this board being attacked in this thread is me. Go back and read it. Typical.I certainly was not attacking you! If it came off as such, I apologize. I'm very curious to hear both sides of the story -- those who love Canada, and those who are seriously disgruntled with things. I value getting the full story, and not just half of it.There are plenty of Americans who either hate America, hate the government they see as corrupt, or are simply unhappy with the way things are. It's not unheard of.

2009 PONTIAC G8
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

There is nothing wrong with this thread as everyone doesn't attack someone directly with the words they are saying.I am personally enjoying the reading (from both sides)Just play nice.
ZedTim

Post by ZedTim »

you know about 2 years ago I was driving tow truck and received a call from Oshawa to Montreal, that wasn't a problem except the fact that on my way out of Quebec I had a police escort which prior to that had threatened to throw me in Jail, why because Ontario Tow Trucks are not allowed to enter Quebec with a car they have to drop it and wait for a Quebec truck to pick it up which to me is wrong in a single country but hey that is their law, I don't have anything against Quebec and honestly it is just as beautiful as Ontario if not more. Old Quebec City has a large amount of history behind it and is more then worth the visit. I have to admit that while I was there some (and I do stress some) people were not very nice but then again and Vibe Rater I may ask you this one, when was the last time you walked down Young street at night? do you talk to everyone? no, why because you don't want your head blown off. better yet have a walk down Weston Rd at night, I bet the majority of the people you pass are police officers on foot patrol, says a lot for this city. how about a day trip to Regent Park? don't want to go, why? because you know as well as I do, if you don't fit in your as good as dead. now how can you put down a province wheather through fact or knowledge with this standing behind where you live?
The Vibe is Deceased!!moved on to Bigger
Sputnik

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (ZedTim)

Post by Sputnik »

Every city has their good areas and bad areas. Stop scaring the Americans! The media makes it sound like you need all the tourists you can get (sarstock anyone?).
GenVibe Global Moderator

Herb

Post by Herb »

For a not so rosy view of Canada from a Canadian, check out http://www.ohnocanada.com
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Chris

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (Herb)

Post by Chris »

For all the American folks perusing this thread... I'd like to remind you that the discussion is rather typical... Ontario vs. Quebec... has anyone mentioned Vancouver? Calgary, St Johns, Halifax, Kelowna... etc? As usual, the westerners here on the board have to remind Ont and Quebec that Canada starts on a Coast (pick one Victoria or St. Johns) and goes all the way across to the other coast. It's the 2nd largest country in the world and full of amazing people etc. etc.This discussion is like New York ranting about California or something like that. No discussion focused on politics is going to have a happy ending.Soooo, why dontcha come to Vancouver or Calgary? Drop me a line and I'll either show ya around (Calg) or give you some pointers (Vanc. Victoria)
Chris Car: Base Abyss Vibe 5 spd + Mags & Power Pkg - no modsBike: Suzuki GSXR1100 4xK&N's V&H pipe and headers
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (Chris)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

I have only 1 thing to saw: No comment....There's stupid laws and stupid people everywhere and they are a minority. But they are the things shown the more often. Perfect country does not exist.I prefer shutting my mouth then saying stupidities and offence anyone. Period.
ArcsVibe

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (Sub-Vibe-R)

Post by ArcsVibe »

Well put!
Genvibe Global Moderator
VOTM April 06

Sputnik

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (Chris)

Post by Sputnik »

quote:For all the American folks perusing this thread... I'd like to remind you that the discussion is rather typical... Ontario vs. Quebec... has anyone mentioned Vancouver? Calgary, St Johns, Halifax, Kelowna... etc? As usual, the westerners here on the board have to remind Ont and Quebec that Canada starts on a Coast (pick one Victoria or St. Johns) and goes all the way across to the other coast. It's the 2nd largest country in the world and full of amazing people etc. etc.This discussion is like New York ranting about California or something like that. No discussion focused on politics is going to have a happy ending.Soooo, why dontcha come to Vancouver or Calgary? Drop me a line and I'll either show ya around (Calg) or give you some pointers (Vanc. Victoria) I have a vacation planned in September for Vancouver and Victoria!Anyway sorry the westerners weren't mentioned in our arguing over Quebec... not sure how you would have fit into it though...? We do realize Canada has two coasts - Vibe Rater happens to be from Ontario though, posting about Quebec. Sorry if you felt slighted... maybe we can pick on the westerners next? Just kidding of course!
GenVibe Global Moderator

ArcsVibe

Re: Article: "Americans Think About Moving To Canada" (Sputnik)

Post by ArcsVibe »

Hey!Vancouver got the Olympics!!Man I am so happy for you guys!I am sure you will put on a hell of a show, if only Montreal would have done the same
Genvibe Global Moderator
VOTM April 06

Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Yeah I'm excited about the 2010 Olympics. Maybe I can get some "pre Olympic" souvenirs when I'm out there in Sept/Oct.
GenVibe Global Moderator