Saying Goodbye to Penny

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Salsa Guy

Saying Goodbye to Penny

Post by Salsa Guy »

Our 16 y/o Husky/German Shepherd mix "Penny" will be put down Tomorrow. It's very hard on us and is "the best dog ever". She protected my children and home. In her prime she would catch a ball in the air until your arm was tired. I've seen her front out strangers 5 times her size then obeyed my commands from 50+ yards. Sadly she hasn't done any of those things over the past few years and seldom even barks. But even today if someone comes into the yard she doesn't know her hackles are up and ready to defend.

"To the best dog ever"

My ode to Penny
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
KITT222

Re: Saying Goodbye to Penny

Post by KITT222 »

Sorry to hear that, but at least she lived a good life and took care of you. My sister and her boyfriend both have German shepherd/husky mixes, and they're fantastic dogs. Very well trained.

Best of luck tomorrow! At least she won't be in pain anymore.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I just had to put my baby Susan down three weeks ago. I found her siblings and her abandoned at the local recycling place (next door to the pound) when they were about 8 weeks old...I took them to the local SPCA, and when I came back a couple of weeks later, they were all horribly ill and near death. Her brother and sister didn't make it, but she did. She got FeLV at some point after that and they were going to put her to sleep even though she'd healed up. I took her home and had her for a year and a half. Recently I saw she was breathing hard...she had fluid in her abdominal cavity from FIP. I had her put to sleep because cats rarely survive "wet" FIP, and I couldn't bear for her to die miserably.

I miss her so much, she really was my little baby. I'm sorry you're losing your friend, too.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

We have "Baggi" that was left off by someone (we live in a rural neighborhood outside a good size town). She was in rough shape but has been a good dog. Aside from digging in my garden.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet
goes to rainbow bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special
friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water
and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who
had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or
maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our
dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss
someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and
looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass,
his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you
and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion,
never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands
again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes
of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER. . . . .
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

What a beautiful dog!

I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing Penny is no longer suffering though. Animals truly become a part of our lives and our families and remain in our hearts and minds forever.

We had our 13 year old dog Cookie euthanized in 2004. I cried more that day than I have at any funeral I've ever been to. It gave me comfort to know we had made the right decision for her though and that she was no longer suffering.

Vulcan, thanks for posting "The Rainbow Bridge". It always makes me tear up, but also gives me comfort thinking about my animals that have passed away.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Thanks Everyone! We have a "Baggi" she's a border collie/ Lab Mix that is 2 years old. Someone dumped her off in our Rural Neighborhood. She's a bit more hard headed than Penny but is earning not dig in my Garden or chew up my drip watering system. Perhaps one of the smartest dogs I've own but again very hard headed.