Crash kills 6

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
jake75

Crash kills 6

Post by jake75 »

see http://www.nbc4i.com/story/23724591/at- ... ce-officer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All 6 were killed - My first thought is how do you get 6 people in a Corolla - but someone was obviously holding the 2 year old.
I await more information but it appears the police were rushing to the robbery scene - but to do what, file a report?
There is a traffic light at that intersection but it may have been flashing yellow for Rt 33/Riverside Drive and red for Fishinger Road.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
SeattleJeremy

Re: Crash kills 6

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Wow, that cruiser t-boned the Corolla square in the passenger cell. From the way the two cars crumpled the cruiser must have been doing at least 50mph at the time of impact.

The driver and driver side rear passenger where going to be in a world of hurt regardless, but if the other three passengers had their seat belts on they might have lived. I won't comment on the toddler.
Thankfully, the 03+ corollas\matrix\vibes have better side impact protection, but even still, not good.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I think the regular speed limit on that road is 50 mph - I imagine the cruiser was going a lot faster than that responding to a call at 1:30 a.m. with extremely light traffic.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Here's an update ---

Detectives said the officer, identified as Officer Shawn Paynter, a four-year veteran with the Upper Arlington Police Division, was traveling northbound on Riverside Drive. Cruiser video showed that Paynter had a green light when he approached the intersection with Fishinger Road.

A Toyota Corolla carrying a man, his wife, and four daughters, was traveling westbound on Fishinger Road, and had a red light. According to Perry Township police, the cruiser video showed that the driver of the Toyota continued through the red light, and then stopped in the middle of the intersection.
The vehicle collided, and the six occupants of the Toyota were pronounced dead at the scene.
The occupants in the Toyota were not wearing seatbelts at the time of the crash and the toddler was not restrained in a child safety seat at the time of the crash, according to officers.
The Upper Arlington police officer sustained minor injuries. He was transported to Riverside Methodist Hospital and later released.
Perry Township police identified the deceased as Eid Badi Shahad, 39, Entisar W. Hameed, 31, Shuaa Badi, 16, Amna Badi, 14, Ekbal Badi, 12, and Lina Badi, 2.
People who knew the family said there were nine children; the four girls killed in the crash, and five surviving boys.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

No seatbelts and running a redlight... :roll: Not to mention 6 in a 5 seater car...

I feel sympathy for the police and ems workers that had to deal and clean up that mess.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
BaseWhiteVibe

Post by BaseWhiteVibe »

I have been working in the Automotive Safety world (Safety Crash Performance Engineer) for over 13 years. The issue with crash testing is that vehicles are tested to a set of standards which they are certified to. Now there are test modes which include unbelted scenarios (FMVSS 208 Section 14), but it still doesn't account for all possible scenarios in the real world. Just from looking at the vehicle the amount of intrusion would make survival very unlikely regardless of air bags or seat belts

There is more, now the biggest issue with police sirens is that they are hard to hear and when you do hear them it is too late. Now with the development of the "Rumbler" siren the likelihood of people feeling the siren is much higher. I honestly believe that ALL Emergency vehicles should be equipped with theses types of systems, they should also develop a system that gives off rumble pulses near accidents. So when police, ambulance and even tow trucks are at a crash scene they would activate their sirens (even if they are at a quieter setting) and a rumble so that oncoming traffic could feel it! Could this siren have prevented this particular accident? It is hard to tell.
BaseWhiteVibe - As Basic As It Gets!