Moving to FL fron NY

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
frankiemenz

Moving to FL fron NY

Post by frankiemenz »

Hi Gen Vibers, Well I am making the big move from NY(Rochester-upstate) to the Orlando, FL area. I still have my 2010 Vibe and plan on packing it full and driving to Orlando with it on Aug31st. My dilemma is I own a larger Snap On tool box which I really need a moving truck to move, I sold a lot of furniture and bulky items. The box is 72"x32"x40", I also have a big screen tv and a few other big items. The quotes for trucks is 1500 for NY to FL and 560 for FL to NY, guess no one wants to move to NY, lol. I was hoping for input or suggestions for this move. Thanks everyone, btw I got a re-assignment for my job so all should be well as far as that goes.----Frank
frankiemenz

Re: Moving to FL fron NY

Post by frankiemenz »

BTW:

PODS-$3000
Mover-$2500
--Frank
box too expensive to sell and re-purchase in FL
frankiemenz

Post by frankiemenz »

I plan on storing a lot of my belongings temporarily at my sisters house in NY until I get settled in Orlando area, I will be staying with my brother there until I get a place there. Then I will either rent a truck or somehow else move it.--Frank
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Sorry, no recommendations for you but I had to chime in with my surprise at how much truck rentals have increased in a relatively short time! I did a similar mileage move in a 16' truck from Boston to St Louis in 2003 for $700 (with a tow-behind included for my car). Just for the heck of it I priced the same company for 8/31 and it came up $1960. :shock: Inflation is a (removed), but a 180% increase in 10 years? Wow!
Image  Image
canadave

Post by canadave »

I'd bet the majority of that increase is due to gas prices.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

But you pay for gas yourself.. this is the drive the truck yourself type of rental I'm talking about. Believe me, I paid quite a bit on top of the $700 in gas to get to St Louis. :)
Image  Image
canadave

Post by canadave »

Oh, right! Duh, my bad. Gee...in that case, I concur, 180% IS crazy!
2009 base Vibe, silver"
trb

Post by trb »

Wow, even renting the smallest trailer is almost $500! I towed the 5x8 trailer fully loaded behind my GT and it ran well, but gas mileage stunk. But it is something to consider.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
frankiemenz

Re: Moving to FL from NY

Post by frankiemenz »

Well the move itself for me is over. I left a lot of belongings in NY. I am going to keep a watch on truck rates and have a mover coming to my sister's house for an estimate on moving my belongings. I tried a new route and bypassed DC using route 81, 66 and 17 from NY to FL, that was a very pleasant re-route around the DC beltway nightmare, lol. I'll let everyone know how the rest goes later, thanks for the advice and suggestions so far. ---Frank
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

I lived in Kissimmee for 21 years.
Just BE CAREFUL!!!!!!! There are parts of the Orlando area that you DO NOT want to go to.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

You might contact a regular moving company - sometimes they have a partial load and will move your stuff at a reasonable rate to fill up the truck. Only downside is that it might take a few weeks for the opportunity to come up.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
frankiemenz

Post by frankiemenz »

Yes thank you for the advice, I am living with my brother and his family, they have lived here 15 years and he has advised me of the same thing you just did about certain areas. I have a mover coming to my sisters in NY for an estimate, I was hoping he'd be able to fit mine and another load on the same trip to make it more economical, have to wait and see at this point.---Frank
jake75

Post by jake75 »

frankiemenz wrote:Yes thank you for the advice, I am living with my brother and his family, they have lived here 15 years and he has advised me of the same thing you just did about certain areas. I have a mover coming to my sisters in NY for an estimate, I was hoping he'd be able to fit mine and another load on the same trip to make it more economical, have to wait and see at this point.---Frank
I forgot to add - congratulations on moving out of New York state.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
frankiemenz

Post by frankiemenz »

Thanks Jake!! Florida feels good!
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

frankiemenz wrote:Thanks Jake!! Florida feels good!
Go back while you still can!! :o j/k!

I moved to Florida from Michigan 14 years ago for college. Always planned on leaving after I graduated... and I'm still here. The winters keep tricking me into staying.

Side note: Jake, I didn't mean to copy your signature.... imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

runningslow wrote:
frankiemenz wrote:Thanks Jake!! Florida feels good!
Go back while you still can!! :o j/k!

I moved to Florida from Michigan 14 years ago for college. Always planned on leaving after I graduated... and I'm still here. The winters keep tricking me into staying.

Side note: Jake, I didn't mean to copy your signature.... imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?
The winters and the taxes.
No income tax. No estate tax. Reasonable r.e. taxes for residents at least. Ohio did get rid of the Ohio Estate Tax effective Jan.1, 2013.
But the summers - oh well it's hot and humid in Columbus, Ohio too. My brother just bought a mini-mansion in Lake Mary north of Orlando. I plan to pay him
a lengthy visit next Jan. or Feb.

Imitation? No. Great minds think alike. I was going to update whatever they call that section but the current system severely limits how much text you can put there - but if it's already there you can keep it. Don't understand why. I think it should be mandatory that members list their rides - make, model, year. Also include at least their state of residence.
frankiemenz

Post by frankiemenz »

That's funny, I work in Lake Mary at Post Office , vehicle maintenance. It was pretty hot the 1st few weeks, really nice now though. Not missing NY much at this point. Except maybe the pizza, which is a lot better there than here, lol. ---Frank
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

frankiemenz wrote:That's funny, I work in Lake Mary at Post Office , vehicle maintenance. It was pretty hot the 1st few weeks, really nice now though. Not missing NY much at this point. Except maybe the pizza, which is a lot better there than here, lol. ---Frank
Go to Pizza City in Kissimmee On Vine St (Hwy 192) just a few blocks west of OBT (Main St in Kissimmee, also is 17-92-441) It's on the north side in a little strip mall, Best pizza and football size calzones.
Pizza City is about the only thing I miss about Floriduh.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
triz

Post by triz »

Its just a bad time. The snow birds are coming down and that's why the rates are higher. It might be a few months before rates come down. I know it may sound stupid but if its just boxes try FedEx. My friend made a move from NY to Cali and shipped his boxes via FedEx. It was actually cheaper than renting a Uhaul or a moving company.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only