Elantra Touring versus the Vibe

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Caretaker

Elantra Touring versus the Vibe

Post by Caretaker »

Elantra Touring summary: old Kia/Hyundai technology (ie: hydraulic transmission system vice computer controlled) that has been sold as the i30 around the world for about 8 years now. Sold very poorly here in the US because it is ugly and Americans can't get their fat sssses out of their stupid SUVs. As a result of poor sales, Hyundai drops the line and designs the smaller, much less versatile GT. 2010 is the best model to get from the standpoint of visibility. Due to stupid people NOT raising their rear headrests while sitting in the back and receiving neck injuries, the good ole US Govt (I'm guessing) mandates new designs on rear headrests. Sooooo, the headrests that push down into the seat and fully out of the way give way to intrusive headrests that no longer go down into the seat on the 2011 and 2012 models.

Head to Head:

Safety: Elantra Touring (ET): Typical Hyundai, in that they always put every safety bell and whistle into their vehicles right from the start, unlike Honda that makes you wait 3 generations before ESC and other features are standard. In short, you buy an Elantra Touring, you know you are getting the full monty of safety features. This category could have been a tie because our Vibes also have those things as well: ESC, traction, ABS, side curtain, etc... However, Hyundai's brakes are OUTSTANDING. You hit 'em, and your car stops. Toyota brakes suck. The Vibe's brakes are nothing compared to the ET. Moreover, the line of sight in the ET is right on par with the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa Hatch, and the AMC Pacer. It is great for a new/learning driver. The ET takes a knock in this category in that it does not have auto headlights. After two Vibes, it is still hard to remember to turn the stalk.

Utility: ET: This again is a close race, but due to its fully fold down flat rear seats, you can fit lots of stuff in an ET. There are also many nooks and crannies for storage. I have to remove my rear headrests in the Vibe to both see out of the back AND to fold the rear seats down.

Engine: Tie: I love my Corolla engine and I know the Camry engine is bulletproof. The 2.0 liter ET engine is also very sound and has a great proven track record living in legacy Kia and Hyundai models as well as the i30. If you need get up and go though, the ET certainly beats out the Corolla engine but would likely finish second to the Camry 2.4 liter engine.

Transmission: Vibe: The shift points on the ET are not all that great and I just had a new tranny put in last week after only 42,000 miles. Is this a once off or a sign of things to come?

Build Quality: Tie: I think South Korea is right there with Japan.

Maintenance: Vibe: It is so much easier changing oil and doing bulb changes. Hyundai seems to make me work very hard to do some routine stuff on the ET.

Luxuries: ET: This is a no brainer. How many sub $20,000 cars have a light and a cooler in the glove box??? Extras like the information screen, ipod port and buttons on the wheel (again, I have the base Corolla Vibe), and lighted buttons throughout the cabin are standard items every car should have these days. Other than that, cheap plastics abound in both cars. One other item I'll give to the ET, I love the fact that they bury the tire changing tools in Styrofoam to keep things from rattling. A cheap way to add to the soundproofing to the car while keeping the tools nice and snug. The ET is also limo like for rear passengers; great leg room. The front passenger is also treated to luxury in the leg department compared to the cramped Vibe. However, I can actually find a better driving position in the Vibe. My long legs would appreciate one more inch back in the ET's driver's seat.

Steering: Vibe: the steering is perfect in my opinion. The ET has a very numb feel to it that many people hate. I kinda like it, although getting the ET to track straight can be problematic. Many Hyundai owners swear that their cars are out of alignment when it seems to be tire runout causing the troubles.

Suspension: ET: tough call here because I am not a fan of "sports tuned suspensions." I kinda would rather have the floaty Camry or Nissan Versa ride every time. The Vibe is a bit rough over bumps. The ET smooths them out a bit better but has that tinny sports tuned response you may be familiar with.

Overall, I think I have the best two values in automobiles in my driveway. We wouldn't even own the ET if my wife had not donated our 2003 Vibe AWD to her nephew. He owes us big time. But when I needed to find a replacement, I think I found an even better car. I love the ET overall, even if Hyundai may be jamming new transmissions into my car every 45,000 miles for free (well, at least the first two anyway). We will likely be getting a second ET for our new driver only because the sight lines in the Vibe are poor. I hate the position of the oil filter in the ET and I hate the fact that I need to tear the whole car apart just to replace a burned out bulb. I also don't like the fact that (as one who does not believe in following the manufacturer's "suggested" replacement/maintenance schedule) Hyundai does put your feet to the fire to show you have done the required maintenance should a part under warranty fail.

I think I have covered most of the basics. Let me know if you have any questions.
ColonelPanic

Re: Elantra Touring versus the Vibe

Post by ColonelPanic »

The ET wagon was great! A simple car on a good chassis, a clean interior design, lots of room for you and your stuff, and overall a good value. But that aforementioned old tech - meh.

The GT that replaced it is awful -- hideous front end, a dash resembling a Transformer, and that look-at-me fluidic sculpture styling puts form at a priority over function. I would rather have the old chassis with the new mechanicals bolted to it (better FE, 2 extra gears, and a timing chain instead of that stupid expensive to replace belt. Perfect!)

I really wanted one... Matrix excluded, that's just about as close to the Vibe as you could get. But after spending 100k+ with an Accent that also has maintenance-needy 90's vintage mechanicals, coupled with the atrocious service received from local Hyundai dealerships, we decided buying one probably wasn't going to be a great idea.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Caretaker and CP,
Thanks for the helpful information.
How do they compare on the highway? Noise, comfort, handling, MPG? And did you say visibility out of the ET is better?
Are last generation elantra's known for tranny trouble? Good reason to go with new 6 speed auto? I agree with CP, I also hate stylized compacts that forsake utility.
My dream vehicle: 3/4 size Dodge Journey with 1.4 turbo and 8 speed chrysler auto trasnsmission, and oldschool surburban style double doors at the back!
Thanks,
chiadog
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Chiadog wrote: How do they compare on the highway? Noise, comfort, handling, MPG? And did you say visibility out of the ET is better?
Are last generation elantra's known for tranny trouble?
The old Elantra GT was apparently a good car also if that is what you meant by last generation elantras. That older hatchback model did sit lower (roof line) and is harder to get into. If you are referring to the Elantra Touring, there are a number of reports on the i30 and ET websites that talk about the same tranny trouble I had. However, my dealer has not seen all that many for what it is worth. As I said before, we will be buying another one for our new driver. I will find out what the out of pocket cost of a replacement tranny will cost should the used model I buy have a bad tranny. Otherwise, I will do my best to have Costco's buying service find me one that comes Hyundai Certified, to eliminate any concerns about the transmission.
Regarding the Elantra Touring, the car is quieter than the Vibe for sure. The seats are comfortable; I would say they have a bit more give than the Vibe's seats, which are very firm but comfortable. The ET also has a manual lumbar arm on the side to firm up the lower back area. Typical Hyundai, throwing in little items like that. Another comfort item I will throw in is the bluetooth we got on ours. I had the dealer drive 5 hours to Roanoke to pick up my car. He actually did it. My ET was going to be white with the preferred package and bluetooth, come hell or high water. My buying service interceded and my dealer swapped with another dealer to obtain my car. Since I don't drive the ET on a daily basis, I don't have scientific MPGs for you, although the last time we calculated we got 27 in suburban driving and 35 on the highway on the 2 liter engine during the summer months. My Vibe gets 33 in the same conditions, and I have gotten 41 mpg while driving up to NYC while holding the speed to 55. The Vibe gets better gas mileage for sure. As I stated before, if you are 6 foot 1 inch or taller, or have unusually long legs, be careful about getting an ET. I wish it had 1 more inch of travel for my legs; but since I don't drive it daily, it does not matter too much. If you are shorter than I, then you too will find the ET to be a much more pleasant car to drive than the Vibe.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Thanks for the great info. Caretaker!
I sure wish Hyundai would have kept the ET wagon style and added the new drivetrain (6 speed auto). Seems the only small wagon now available is a Volkswagen, which doesn't thrill me. By last generation, I meant before Elantra's got the 6-speed auto.
Thanks,
chiadog
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Chiadog wrote:Thanks for the great info. Caretaker!
I sure wish Hyundai would have kept the ET wagon style and added the new drivetrain (6 speed auto). Seems the only small wagon now available is a Volkswagen, which doesn't thrill me. By last generation, I meant before Elantra's got the 6-speed auto.
Thanks,
chiadog
A fine line between a wagon and a hatchback. I was impressed with the Subaru Imprezna hatchback I saw at the auto show last March.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
REN69

Post by REN69 »

Just noticed this thread and know it's old... but funny thing was before we bought our older (albeit cheaper) Vibe, we were considering either an 09 Vibe with the 2.4L and a 2009 Elantra touring, both were (and I think still are) at the same dealership, I drove both and was amazed at the ride quality of the ET, it was a really nice wagon.

the Vibe was great as well, it had 90,000km on it and to me it felt like a decent car... too bad this was when we decided to go with an older car in order to do some home renos as well, otherwise I would've had a tough choice between the 2.
1984 Supra RWD - my beater -- 2004 Vibe AWD - wife's beater -- 2005 Corolla XRS - my daily