virus protection

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
KNINE

virus protection

Post by KNINE »

I just got a new PC. What kind of virus protection to you guys recommend?
Also, why does it keep making a clicking noise when I;m not even using it?
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Old Tele man

Re: virus protection

Post by Old Tele man »

We use Norton Internet Security (NIS)...the "clicking" sound is probably the Microsoft 'security' trying to tell you that it "thinks" the program you've clicked on has a virus or bug or something.

If you KNOW the program is OK, simply override the MS security by right-clicking on the program button, then click on "Open Link" in the pop-up selection...but ONLY do so if you know the program is OK...ie: a Microsoft version of the Latin "Cavaet Emptor" (Buyer(User) Beware).
Last edited by Old Tele man on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

AVG free and Malwarebytes
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

I have to say Norton is probably the worst virus protection I have ever had. It bogs down the computer and takes forever to scan. I did use Microsoft Security Essentials but sometimes a virus finds its way in. Now we have a program through McAfee, it was expensive, but it rocks! Of course it has a firewall, virus protector, malware/spyware scanner, and miscellaneous scans to improve computer performance. That is, on my Window's machine. I use a MacBook Pro. I will now always have to have a Mac. So much faster, no comparison, and not as much as a security risk. As of now anyway.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Old Tele man wrote:We use Norton Internet Security (NIS)...the "clicking" sound is probably the Microsoft 'security' trying to tell you that it "thinks" the program you've clicked on has a virus or bug or something.

If you KNOW the program is OK, simply override the MS security by right-clicking on the program button, then click on "Open Link" in the pop-up selection...but ONLY do so if you know the program is OK...ie: a Microsoft version of the Latin "Cavaet Emptor" (Buyer(User) Beware).
The microsoft security thing makes sense. I use Magic Jack for my telephone, which is always running in the background. Magic Jack has a dashboard that updates itself periodically. I'll watch it when I get home from work today and see if the clicking occurs at the same time as the dashboard updates. Thanks.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

My PC Guru recommended eset antivirus and Malwarebytes malware. Latter is free for the basic edition - $25 lifetime fee for the upgraded version. Kaspersky internet security suite is also often recommended - Staples has had that free after rebate recently. I use that on my wife's computer. Probably will see it again free after rebate right after Thanksgiving. PC magazine has featured some free antivirus programs that they recommend. Google it. Might be all you need, or enough to get you by until the Thanksgiving Staples sale. Also look for a APC backup power system - I would never be without that. In addition to providing power when the lights go out, it is the best surge protection you can get. Evens out power spikes too. Often on sale at Staples, or Sam's Club has good prices (probably Costco as well).
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I friend gave a CD With Malwarebytes. I loaded that on my PC. I had free AVG on my last computer, but something managed to get through and screw it up. I was looking for an excuse to get a new PC anyway. I would like to keep this one intact for a while. ;)
CoreyX64

Post by CoreyX64 »

AVG Free 2013 works great. I have my settings configured in such a way that it stays in the tray, updates itself, and doesn't bother me unless there is a problem. It works nicely. This is only AV, however. I have a selection of other programs I use for antispyware and immunization purposes. What 1 program does not find, another one will, and vice versa. These programs are not active protection, but are there for you to use to scan if you are having issues. AVG is your backbone protection for the most part.

SpywareBlaster
SpybotSD
SUPERAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes
CCleaner (have set to run on startup silently)

I have only ever seen one instance where a computer got a virus and it shut down AVG completely. this was back in the days of AVG8 (2008) and the person was the kind of person who clicked on every "Win a FREE iPod Touch" sidebar ad. For this reason, I always combine Firefox or Chrome (anything but IE) with AdBlockPlus, to prevent such things from occurring, although nothing is 100% foolproof.
~Corey~
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I upgraded the Malwarebytes free version for a one time fee of $24.95 and it provides active protection.
You are right - nothing gives 100% protection. I have several times written to my Congressman suggesting that a small excise tax on internet access dedicated exclusively to fund an agency that fights virus and malware would be cost effective and welcomed by almost all of us. I spent over $300, a lot of time and loss productivity in 2011 over such intrusions. But there is little hope that Congress would ever do anything that constructive. Paraphrasing Reverend Edward Everett Hale who was asked if he prayed for the Congress. No, he replied, I look at the Congress and pray for the country.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
LarryKingsShoes

Post by LarryKingsShoes »

I've got Avast running on all of the machines in my household. It's less intrusive than the "premium" protection suites like Norton and McAfee. Between the access point and Window's firewall, a simple real-time scanner is all I feel the need for. The scanner does a good job and they offer a lot of features that make it a great option.

I trust Microsoft Defender to stop other malware from running but it's nice to have Malwarebytes installed to do an occasional scan.

The biggest security measures that often get overlooked are making sure to keep up on Windows Updates, you have the latest version of your browser of choice (Firefox, currently, but I'm growing tired of it freezing up when I try to open a page that isn't available). It's also helpful to keep an eye on security bulletins for things like Java. You can do a lot with browser plugins to minimize the risk of this kind of thing so that would be worth looking into if you are really worried.

On a side note, if you bought your computer from a big box store or direct from the retailer and they loaded it with a ton of useless stuff (game demos, weird programs, and so on), you should consider doing a clean install of Windows (if you haven't already). You'll speed things up a lot. If they didn't include a clean copy of the Windows disc, you can legally download the ISO and burn it to a DVD. There's a program that will back up your activation info to a USB stick so getting it active and genuine afterwards is painless. This is the case with Windows 7, at least. I've had to do it a few times because I kept misplacing my old discs. It's a real lifesaver.
Kenwood KIV-700 - Image Dynamics CTX65CS (Front) - Polk Audio db651s (Rear) - Alphasonik PMA640HCA - Kicker ZX750.1 - RE Audio SE Series 12" Subwoofer
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

I use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Almost always gets high scores even when compared to paid programs.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Water boy wrote:I use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Almost always gets high scores even when compared to paid programs.
Even though you bumped a 1yr old thread, I still feel compelled to respond to your reply.

MSE is trash, and even M$ has suggested you run something above and beyond it.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/38 ... s-rankings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Hummm...
That was news to me about MSE.

Time to re-evaluate my needs.

As to responding to an old thread. I looked at the month and saw it was recent. I never looked at the YEAR. :oops:
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Water boy wrote:As to responding to an old thread. I looked at the month and saw it was recent. I never looked at the YEAR. :oops:
It happens to the best of us! :mrgreen:
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
kc6yot

Post by kc6yot »

It may be an old post, but I use Avast free, Malwarebytes free and Spybot S&D free. Only once in ten years using the free stuff did I ever have a virus do any damage and that was my fault. Just have to be sure to keep it up to date, and run the scans.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I use Malwarebytes. I fixed my boss's computer with that program alone, and was saddened to see that SB:S&D's basic version has been reduced to being essentially worthless compared to how it was before.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit